Re Apolstering seats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
I went back and forth between buying new seats, to getting junk yard seats and finally decided to reapolster mine. I bought the kit from Rocky Mountain Cruisers. It doesn't have anything for the headrests. Fortunatly mine were in good shape. The kist allows for you not to install the headrests.

Here are some pictures: Before, after and installed

That does look great. Did you do it yourself or have someone do it? Any special tools or skills required? I need to fix my driver's side seat too.

Jeremy

looks nice, actually considered that myself but the seat frames below were rusting out bad so i opted to go with junkyard seats. so i am in the process of adapting mounts and wiring the power for the seats and seat heaters. wanted to stay stock buyt for what i got these leather power/heated seats for i couldn't resist altering the cruiser a little.

hercdriver.
I've done these before. with SOR's kit, they were easy. I would Imagine RMC's kits is very similar. The instructions said that a special tool was needed. I just used a pair of pliers and needlenose. Took a little while, but its not rocket science.

While you're at it, you may consider building up the foam a bit. The covers come with a bit of padding in them, but I went down the fabric store [i know, i know... first time I've gone voluntarily] and got some 1/2" thick foam and built them up some. You can also buy new foam from SOR, but for the price, you may as well buy all new seats.

It was easy and did not require any special tools. Just buy some wire to put along the seam where you put the hooks in. Took me about 6 hours from unbolting to re-installing them back in. I took the opportunity to clean up under the seats and spray paint all the brackets black.

Ken

Didn't find a mummified mouse like I did, didja?

I'd be interested in getting a set of covers from RMC but they don't make one for a 79+.

Dave

[quote author=IDave link=board=1;threadid=10154;start=msg90753#msg90753 date=1074139461]
Didn't find a mummified mouse like I did, didja?
[/quote]

No I didn't. Oh the Trauma! That explains a lot Dave.

I am surprised you didn't bust me for flipping things around. I swapped the driver and passenger bottom cushions.

Those do look great. I am currently trying to figure out what to do with mine. I posted in the chit chat section. I have the 60/40 bench and the long style jump seats but RMC does not sell a kit for this. Have not hear of anyone going to a marina and having them do it. I would image they could do a really good job and get darn close to looking OEM. Maybe that is just wishful thinking though. May have to cough up the may have to drop the 200.00 for the seat covers from SOR. Not to mention the resonable shipping charge. ::)

Well Ken, you didn't get busted for "flipping things around" but I'm a teacher so I have to bust you for your butchering of the word "upholstering"!!! Sorry, had to do it! :D

Have to admit, the seat was less lumpy after that.

I thought about giving you a hard time about it, but then I decided that FJ40s aren't known for their seats. At least, not the buckets. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom