Builds The Little Red Lobster (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Outstanding. Thanks Rob. Have a great and well deserved weekend.

Also, apparently my circa 72 carb is having some serious issues. Anyone have a carb from that year range, cable actuated, they'd be willing to sell cheap? I'd send it directly to Mark @65swb45 for a rebuild. I need to keep this one on the truck for a while until I ship it north, and would love to minimize my downtime this summer.

So I took it for a test drive this morning. One pump on the gas and it started right up! Backed it out of the bay and headed out. First thing I noticed was the power it has, now the carb is running a little rich, and I have not put a timing light on it, just set it based off a visual. It will spin a tire taking off in first (sorry but had to break the new tires in), do a rolling start in 2nd and while corning with no problem and it gets up to speed without any problem. (45mph). Engine sounds good. New transmission shift without a grind into the syncro 2nd and 3rd. I will drive it some more but untill the carb gets rebuild, I am calling it good!

Little red is with my body guy getting the left front fender straightened and the hood.

BF067086-163F-474B-8397-45B03C7B5565.jpeg

B1848B93-98B8-4887-93AB-663065C8CAC1.jpeg

486EB2E6-1A2A-43DB-AA2B-B2F69E384409.jpeg

19501DC0-C149-402E-9630-230786A71219.jpeg

Body man broke his leg this week but is still getting work done for us on this one. He is paying a guy to work the weekend for him. Metal work is pretty good but does require a little feller to get perfect.

C9B2D7D6-0798-459C-B3F9-2681DC9C17DA.jpeg

00622D4F-50EE-40B1-A1CD-DBA8B69B6584.jpeg

6D0BAE90-4957-428B-A34E-FB74C808278F.jpeg

Last edited:
Little red looks great! Gorgeous day to bring her home. Thanks Rob

Picked up the 61 today from @matzell . She looks great, runs great. I drove her almost 100 miles home without any drama. The 2F is a great motor. Doesn't smoke, pulls like a champ. Still running a little rich as my replacement carb from @Indygbd didn't make it in until after I left to pick her up. Tomorrow's project. I'll get some more pics up in a day or 2, life is crazy as I retire from the Navy and get set to head north.

Many thanks are in order. @ToyotaMatt for an overflow bottle and brass radiator drain. @65swb45 for the plastic fan conversion, the inbound 2" receiver hitch, water pump and some of the seals for the motor. I have an F head gasket if anyone needs it. @FJ Noob for the solid motor and the interesting afternoon loading the beast up. @Indygbd for the super clean 72 carb to finish the repower job. @Tank5 for pulling a solid 3 speed off the shelf and sending it my way. @jmlockwood for the repro Toyota decal that I promise will go on shortly. @wngrog for keeping me inspired with all of the pics. @JackA for resurrecting this pile and giving her a new life. And @matzell for getting this thing done, with a resealed and replaced motor, resealed Trans and T-case, new clutch, tires, some body work on a too tight deadline, and figuring out the details of making a 61 work with 1985 dizzy and electrics. Too many pms from me, strong work from him. A pleasure.

DSC_0403-L.jpg

DSC_0409-L.jpg

DSC_0411-L.jpg

DSC_0405-L.jpg

Last edited:
Picked up the 61 today from @matzell . She looks great, runs great. I drive her almost 100 miles home without any drama. The 2F is a great motor. Doesn't smoke, pulls like a champ. Still running a little rich as my replacement carb from @Indygbd didn't make it in until after I left to pick her up. Tomorrow's project. I'll get some more pics up in a day or 2, life is crazy as I retire from the Navy and get set to head north.

Many thanks are in order. @ToyotaMatt for an overflow bottle and brass radiator drain. @65swb45 for the plastic fan conversion, the inbound 2" receiver hitch, and some of the seals for the motor. I have an F head gasket if anyone needs it. @FJ Noob for the solid motor and the interesting afternoon loading the beast up. @Indygbd for the super clean 72 carb to finish the repower job. @Tank5 for pulling a solid 3 speed off the shelf and sending it my way. @jmlockwood for the repro Toyota decal that I promise will go on shortly. @wngrog for keeping me inspired with all of the pics. @JackA for resurrecting this pile and giving her a new life. And @matzell for getting this thing done, with a resealed and replaced motor, resealed Trans and T-case, new clutch, tires, some body work on a too tight deadline, and figuring out the details of making a 61 work with 1985 dizzy and electrics. Too many pms from me, strong work from him. A pleasure.

DSC_0403-L.jpg

DSC_0409-L.jpg

DSC_0411-L.jpg

DSC_0405-L.jpg

That's awesome. Glad to see another one saved and out on the road again!

Just because. I need to clean it, that's body shop dust behind the front fender, not terribly mismatched paint.

20200602_112953_HDR-L.jpg

We might have to work out some kind of trade when I am finished with my restoration! I like it

Oh man, that will be far too tempting. This one has really grown on me, though. Need a 67 original paint rig as well? I'm trying to limit myself to one 40, and then hunt for a 45.

Last edited:
Lots of life changes as my wife and I both retire from the military. Her JK and Little Red were treated to a ride on the big truck.
20200605_192212-L.jpg

20200605_200051_HDR-L.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom