1977 FJ40 Lil Red (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The numbers are OK. I'm surprised how #3 looks like compared to the others. I would suggest doing a wet compression test too, so you can isolate where the problem might be.

I used the seafoam spray, after driving around a while with a vacuum leak and getting a bunch of carbon built up inside just about everything. It helped...

The spray, pull the air filter and spray down into the carburetor while it's running, giving it a little throttle to keep it running while spraying continuously. Then shut it off, leaving some spray in the engine sit for 10 to 15 minutes. And start it back up...

I had a sticky layer of black carbon all over, even inside the carburetor, it removed some of it. And was having issues with the throttle sticking, had added an extra spring to try and fix that a couple days earlier and after the seafoam it doesn't stick anymore. I haven't checked or replaced my plugs yet, was considering a second treatment before replacing (before and after might be interesting...).

1oz per gallon of gas in the tank, maybe, continually over years might help eventually, but spraying a whole can (the spray version) down the carburetor is much more direct and instant.

Updated compression test Dry & Wet. Numbers are all less than 10%. Still smoking - grey smoke. Next will be doing a valve adjustment but I'm thinking valve seals may be shot? Numbers are indicating the rings are good (I think). Also found a little leak in the head - right where the "plug" is. does not look like it was repaired correctly. I will be attempting to clean that out, drill, tap and put in a set screw of some type. Alot of searches on the forums (especially the FAQ's) have really pointed me in the right direction - I hope. Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_4123.jpeg

IMG_4121.jpeg

So I started Lil Red up today to see if my galley plug fix worked (all good) and decided to try out my new borescope i bought. Removed one of the plugs and scoped the cylinder (motor was still warm but off for a couple minutes). At this time I observed oil running down the cylinder wall. Would that be indicative of worn rings or worn valve seals? Compression tests are noted in an earlier post and appear to be decent. Hooked up vacuum gauge and vacuum held pretty steady between 16 and 17. Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom