1977 FJ40 Lil Red (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bryce112

SILVER Star
Threads
So, as i mentioned in my midlife crisis post - the FJ43 from Colombia may have to wait a bit. My son picked up this 1977 FJ40. I was a bit skeptical at first but it is actually not as bad as I was expecting (at least not yet). Appears to be pretty much all original with the exception of a dealer in stalled air conditioning (i think). Frame is solid with some crust on it. rear sill is shot as well as rear lower quarters - hope to fix those after we can get it running decent. Smokes sometimes - not all the time. Was reported to be sitting a couple years - hope rings ain't shot. Tune up in the near future after I all the parts I ordered delivered.

71193561350__E6C8D03D-A5EF-4D79-B819-AB58E862DEC5.jpeg

71261509719__20B3CC49-BDD3-4761-9791-AC404C48AE3C.jpeg

image000000.jpg

image000001.jpg

image000005.jpg

So, as i mentioned in my midlife crisis post - the FJ43 from Colombia may have to wait a bit. My son picked up this 1977 FJ40. I was a bit skeptical at first but it is actually not as bad as I was expecting (at least not yet). Appears to be pretty much all original with the exception of a dealer in stalled air conditioning (i think). Frame is solid with some crust on it. rear sill is shot as well as rear lower quarters - hope to fix those after we can get it running decent. Smokes sometimes - not all the time. Was reported to be sitting a couple years - hope rings ain't shot. Tune up in the near future after I all the parts I ordered delivered.

View attachment 3394896

View attachment 3394897

View attachment 3394898

View attachment 3394899

View attachment 3394900

IMG_7648.jpeg

IMG_7635.jpeg

image000003.jpg

IMG_7651.jpeg

image000004.jpg

@bryce112 if he decides he doesn’t want AC, I may be interested in purchasing it.

Looks good otherwise.

will be removing the entire A/C system from it. Don't know if anyone would be interested in it but you never know.

Can anyone tell me where the fused wire goes to? This is the plug that goes into the brake switch behind the emergency brake handle. I believe it should be a fused wire that plugs into the back of the fuse block specifically on the heater / blower terminal.

IMG_3953 2.jpeg

Just removed what appears to be the dealer installed air conditioning (appears to be Clardy Mfg. out of Ft. Worth, Texas). System was completely dry when i cut the hoses. also have the condensor coil. should i scrap or can someone use it?

IMG_3961.jpeg

IMG_3962.jpeg

IMG_3963.jpeg

IMG_3964.jpeg

So, how does this sound? It is idling pretty smooth but it is smoking like a pig (video to follow). Hope I posted the video of the engine running correctly.

here is a video of Lil Red smoking away. Hope it ain't too bad. Again, idles / runs pretty good. next steps will be compression check and adjust / check the valves (don't know if they were ever done.

compression test and spark plug pics. compression looks good but still smoking. temp is good.

IMG_4101.jpeg

IMG_4110.jpeg

You might want to try Seafoam to clean things up a bit.

I'm not familiar with using seafoam. Is that put into the crankcase, each cylinder or in the fuel tank? sorry for my lack of knowledge on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom