Rattle can color that is close to OEM gray wheel color (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've seen that before -- iirc some paints don't play well with others........ maybe compare ingredients and look them up? it sort of looks like a chemical mismatch, like putting oil based and water based house paints together or something?

The issue is that the solvent in the first coat needs somewhere to go, so it is outgassing through the top coat. Painting at 65F is pretty cold for any paint, 75F plus low humidity is my cut off, especially a high VOC gloss. If you are dead set on painting at that temp, then I would recommend to Prime, then only shoot the back of the wheel with the black and the front with the grey, but do not stack the two.

That 1hr/48hr guideline is no joke, it’s a hard rule with rustoleum. I’ve had the same thing happen to me on a bench vise I was restoring. I shot a few extra coats about 24 hours after my first and it did he exact same thing: peeled up, separated from the primer. Stripped, followed the rules on round 2, results were great. I’m now much more strict on keeping to the 1hr rule, or I wait a full 48 hours to avoid the issue. Now, if the garage is summer time hot and dry, you can get away with waiting less, but it’s your gamble.

I’ve had the same issue myself when using the etching primer, but never one when using the filler primer...why would that be? Is it the timing thing?

I used rusto smoke gray on my 16" Procomp steelies and am happy with the results!

IMG_3128.jpeg
IMG_3137.jpeg

Sorry for the duplicates

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom