Random chit chat thread (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My favorite, eccentric, YouTube food guy I like to watch goes to the Shady Maple for breakfast and lunch in one sitting. This dude weighs 90 pounds soaking wet and can eat anyone under the table, and everything on the table. Watch his other vids....it's hard not to like him actually. His name is Mark Wiens

We did a cover assignment for ACFD was pretty cool driving our rig uptown! Quint 24 was AC ladder 1 for the day.

49427F08-ED63-4AE0-B06A-1010F991A982.jpeg

"Thou shall not covet thy friend's snow thrower"

Too late...

Wasn't running. The repair shop told me it might be done by mid December. Luckily a former student fixed it for me today. I dropped it at his house and as soon as I got home he told me it was done. Pretty sweet!

I'm very pleased to have a woodstove again. Just installed on Monday!

PXL_20211111_025507025.jpg

PXL_20211110_002621992.jpg

New stove...gotta work on that heat regulation. 😅

@CatskillsRunner ... Spent several hours this week cleaning out the firebox and air passages on the outdoor gassifier furnace. Should be firing it up sometime next week. I always enjoy the start of wood burning season, then usually hate it by mid-March.

I can say I enjoy making the house warm enough for shorts in the dead of winter and not caring about the cost and the dogs love the warm floors.

Poser shot surfing tonight north end AC. Powerful front glad we aren’t camping waves were firing. Should have snapped a surf pic

AF58A41F-BD27-4D0A-B3C0-740018E92BA1.jpeg

turns out i either have the ick or recently "recovered" from it...the new math says i can safely return to work this monday...how convenient.
felt a little run down tuesday/wednesday, this weeks plant "encouraged" me to get tested...a first and rather unpleasant experience that i shant be repeating soon. a rapid test came back negative, just got the pcr results this morning of course im home since yesterday afternoon.

Yeah, feel ya. My niece and nephew tested positive on Monday, whole family was together Saturday. Mom and Dad (in their 70’s) are fine, tested negative. That’s good.

My niece and nephew ( 3 and 6) both are positive. Then they gave it to my sister and brother in law. No one really bad, niece who can’t be vaccinated and is 3 yrs old had fever one day and didn’t eat mid-week, but now is better. That’s also good.

I got it Wednesday PM, just felt tired after dinner, tested and sure enough. Felt run down and hay-fevery Thursday, worked from home and was just kinda beat. Friday better, today much better. No fever, no loss of taste or smell. Somehow my 2 girls and wife are negative.

I had one of the old versions of Covid last year, like November 2020. This version seems not as bad effects wise. I’m vaccinated, and had booster shot in November ‘21. But this new version didn’t care. So that sucks. But it could be worse. And by Tuesday should be back to normal and can go places again. That’s good, because I’m gettin a little stir crazy. If it wasn’t gonna be a mess weather wise, I’d take the ‘69 and go do burnouts tomorrow, but snow and rain suck in an open rig with no working wipers. Or heater.

At least there’s good beer in the fridge and I didn’t loose taste & smell :)

I’m vaccinated, and had booster shot in November ‘21. But this new version didn’t care.
Just like the flu vaccine, the COVID vaccines don't "prevent" you from getting the virus. They prevent you from getting very sick with possible long term effects. All of my local hospitals have no ICU beds available. They are overwhelmed with the unvaccinated.

... All of my local hospitals have no ICU beds available. They are overwhelmed with the unvaccinated.

Per my doctor-daughters ... somewhat similar situation in Georgia.
The COVID ICUs are near full with the unvaccinated that almost universally had major pre-existing (known) medical conditions.
Also our local hospitals have multiple ICU units that are physically separated. This has allowed them to dedicate ~1/3 of their ICU beds to COVID while retaining the balance of ICU for other medical needs.

Per my doctor-daughters ... somewhat similar situation in Georgia.
The COVID ICUs are near full with the unvaccinated that almost universally had major pre-existing (known) medical conditions.
Also our local hospitals have multiple ICU units that are physically separated. This has allowed them to dedicate ~1/3 of their ICU beds to COVID while retaining the balance of ICU for other medical needs.
Not so much up here. Mount Sinai in NYC has been described as a "war zone" by my brother. He was head of biomedical engineering for the St Lukes/Roosevelt group of hospitals. I met with several doctors from my local hospitals and there are no ICU beds available in any of the ICUs. Patients that have tested negative and are in stable condition are lining the hallways.
My other brother is head of the radiology department in a small hospital in central Illinois. No larger hospitals have available beds to transfer COVID positive patients to. Indianapolis and St. Louis are full. They've sent folks to Kentucky when beds became available.

Again, the vaccinations won't prevent it, but it has a good chance of making it less severe. Kind of the same way we fasten our seatbelts when we get in an automobile. It may not prevent you from dying in the event of an accident, but you have a much better chance of survival with one on.

Not so much up here. Mount Sinai in NYC has been described as a "war zone" by my brother. He was head of biomedical engineering for the St Lukes/Roosevelt group of hospitals. I met with several doctors from my local hospitals and there are no ICU beds available in any of the ICUs. Patients that have tested negative and are in stable condition are lining the hallways.
My other brother is head of the radiology department in a small hospital in central Illinois. No larger hospitals have available beds to transfer COVID positive patients to. Indianapolis and St. Louis are full. They've sent folks to Kentucky when beds became available.

Again, the vaccinations won't prevent it, but it has a good chance of making it less severe. Kind of the same way we fasten our seatbelts when we get in an automobile. It may not prevent you from dying in the event of an accident, but you have a much better chance of survival with one on.

I’ve heard the same from my cousin’s fiancé who is finishing up her MD rotation in Brooklyn. No room at the Inn.

Hello, this is cruiser_guy's widow, Petra. I hope all is wel with you and those around you.

Not knowing for sure if you receive my monthly e-mail updates "Never a dull Moment", the following describes my passion and part of my life's journey.

2022 !!!

This is a year full of Dreams, Hope, Joy, Love and God's Goodness, bursting with Anticipation!

I would like to invite you to join me on this year’s journey!

Allow me to give you a brief update on how my life has been directed thus far.

My husband Charles passed away unexpectedly in 2014, at the age of 53 years? Together we had served cross-culturally in mission/humanitarian work ... 5 years in Guatemala and 2 years in Sierra Leone.

Even after his death I continued to work cross-culturally.
From my monthly email updates you know, already for 5 years I live now in North Africa, working with local work creation projects. These are more of grassroot endeavors.

4 years ago I joined a local project which started with 15 sheep, supporting one extended family. Now it has grown into a village Coop, supporting several families.

In any case, first and foremost the project will create employment for young people, for youth in this rural area, combating hopelessness and despair. Those social issues are quite prevalent in the rural area. Ultimately projects like this will keep people out of trouble, make them less vulnerable to get involved in radical ideas, or ideas that Europe is a better place to be. Encouraging young people to stay in this country, build it up from the inside and be able to support their families, this livelihood project will create hope, and let people experience Father’s love in tangible ways.

Here is one recent example.

Remember when I told the story of Walid who fabricates rebar? He has vocational training in that field, wire drawing etc.. In February 2020 we had the opportunity to buy two machines for wire drawing, from someone who had been in that field but now changed. Walid set up his shop in a small garage, which he rented. It went well and then CoVid hit.

At the beginning he was still able to fabricate rebar and sell it. There was still a market in the construction area. However, not too long after the hopeful start, everything ground to a halt. Travelling and commuting between municipalities was no longer possible. Markets, where he would usually buy his material, shut down.

Foreseeing that CoVid situation would alter the economy, Walid sold both machines for the same price we bought them for and returned the money to us. We put it into an account designated for projects. For a time then, he worked with us in the sheep project, barely making ends meet, yet still surviving. His family did not have to get themselves indebted to banks, by taking up bank loans with 100% interest rates. Praise God!

I just found out that Walid doesn't work with us anymore, but he got a job offer from someone who has a big workshop. This, of course, is wonderful!

While Walid was working with us, he was able to support his family, pay his kids’ school fees, and the guy driving the truck and delivering the rebar to various construction jobs had a job through which to support his family. This is what we call a livelihood project.

Now for your question about the sheep project ...

I can give good reports, encouragement and reason to glorify the Lord, who is the Giver of Sustenance and Life.

It reminds me of Jesus' words "Let you light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

Also, it reminds me of Ora et Labora.

If you are interested in hearing details about it, please contact me by sending an email. I have short video clips to document about the successfulness of that project.

Now we are planning on the following project. When I say "we", I mean a local visionary and myself.

We have now found ideal farmland for sale.
I saw it with my own eyes last year already. Actually this is the land where our ewes are grazed right now as well.

A good friend in the States, Roy Tinklenberg, who serves as Co-Founder and Chief Vision Officer of the Faith and Work Movement Global, thanked us the other day for sharing this vision of creating a farm and helping youth develop their vision for the future through the dignity of work and providing for themselves. Praise the Lord!

Not too long ago, I thought about you during a quiet moment. I am long overdue visiting in person again. Covid has been an obstacle thus far, though.

I know, however, you are a compassionate person. I also know that the majority of Cruiser Guys want to make a positive impact in this world.

I personally had taken a credit on my personal line of credit last year. To get a project started. Lord willing, I was able to pay this off, using my monthly living allowance. The project I now self-sustaining.

This year I have taken out the same amount of credit, so another community project in another region can be kick started. Step-by-step this credit will be paid off over time again.

Since I know you are compassionate individuals, I am inviting you to contribute and accelaret the time in which the credit gets paid off. Also, you are invited to share this with other people in your sphere of influence. Let's see how God directs. God knows who will partner with us.

Maybe you like to join in fundraising for this cause.

Maybe you have other ideas or resources of whom to contact? Maybe there are grants available somewhere???
Maybe even you yourself like to contribute financially.

In any case, we value your contribution to this project.

If you have any input, please contact me.

Yes, indeed, this is a new Year!
Bursting with Anticipation!
Overflowing with God's Goodness!
Full of Dreams, Hope, Joy and Love!

While we do our part in the Lord's harvest field, may He guide us an While we do our part in the Lord's harvest field, may He guide us and may His Peace be upon us.

Kind Regards,
Petra W.

Very nice. Greetings to all around. If ever you are in this area, stop by and visit. Here are some updates.

Greetings to you from North Africa,
I hope all is well. This is Petra. Our website is updated ...

Btw, these links lead to different pages on our website

Last edited:
So, it's been years since I hung out on the Rausch Creek forum - obviously, considering my next statement... Tried to go there the other day to see what was up locally and in general and found the forum no longer exists. Did they all go to Facebook?

Are there any other "general" off-road forums for the Central Pennsylvania area?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom