Rain Sensing Wipers..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The buttons to the left of the wheel are just silly. The good thing is, the right side is completely empty for auxiliary switches. My Tundra had a few on the left and a few on right.

They seem to be fickle with where they put buttons... My 2008 uses two of the right-side spots...

I noticed mine were not working properly this evening. This is a new to us 2014.
I touched the black box on the windshield next to rear view mirror. Every time I touched the box the wipers would start.
It's seems like box or sensor is not tight enough to the windshield.

Any one else tried this?
Can it be fixed?
I still have warranty?
Mine won’t even wipe when in auto mode. The minute I push the black boxit works! Wth...

Sounds like the sensor isn't stuck flush to the glass. If so you might need to replace the "RAIN SENSOR TAPE"
Or like others just unplug the sensor all together and not use the rain sense wipers.
See quoted message below from CLHickman.

Mine won’t even wipe when in auto mode. The minute I push the black boxit works! Wth...

The unit should be attached to the adhesive tape. It appears that you had the same thing happen to you as when I had my windscreen replaced. The folks that did the work did not order the gel adhesive tape that holds the unit and allows the sensor to see the rain.

I did a DIY on this some time ago... let me look it up.

**EDIT**

Doh - It was a private conversation where I gave the following directions and pictures:

"Ok, late work night last night so I'm getting these up today. I couldn't include photos so I just shared via my Google account. I hope it works well.

First photo is just a general "hey here it is!"
https://goo.gl/photos/Grs2kEV9THpHPmN47

This one shows you the clip at the bottom of the sensor housing
https://goo.gl/photos/5rQ2xzt6Ha1qW2TE8

Different angle of the clip - you'll need to evenly pull it out from both sides
https://goo.gl/photos/XByDb9BQvygxKMzQ9

You just want to pull the clip out enough to release it, not pull it completely out of the housing. The housing will pretty much fall once you've done this
https://goo.gl/photos/LmUtQEHzUhubfMuX7

Just put your finger there so it doesn't just fall, and take it down
https://goo.gl/photos/4seLRbzMk7UHpM9p6

To test the system just unplug the the jack and test your wiper for a variable speed
https://goo.gl/photos/Zty1hCirpyymsfDGA

If you find that the gel adhesive is the problem, you can pull the sensor off. If you do this then you will need to have another gel adhesive strip to replace the one you'll now need to replace
https://goo.gl/photos/AH38rsavGbzejpd57"

The gent was having issues with possibly the gel adhesive not being correctly installed. I'll look up the part number real fast and include it in this post.

- Tape info: TOYOTA OEM Windshield-Rain Sensor Tape 8994450021 89944-50021

Last edited:
I had the same issue after a windshield change. You can look at the “box” from out side and if there are voids visible the tape isn’t stuck properly. The cover comes off in the inside and you can try to re-stick it or take it to a glass shop and get them to do it. We re-stuck mine and it has been fine.
And for the record, I live in the
Lower Rainland and I love my auto wipers.

So far i've been happy with traditional delayed wipers. The sensor just was too inconsistent for me, especially in "misty" conditions and at night.

I’ve disconnected the sensor for now and it works great, but I figured $25 for new tape was worth a shot at bringing “auto” back.

Question...when I removed the sensor it appeared that it wasn’t a film of tape that could be peeled off, but it resembles more like a residue similar to glue....so I’m curious if anyone knows how what chemicals or solution should/not be used to clean the sensor.

Thanks!

And for the record, I live in the
Lower Rainland and I love my auto wipers.

Agreed. Personally I’ve enjoyed auto wipers on all my other vehicles and have never found any to be annoying or simply don’t work properly.

To each their own though : )

I use goo gone to get rid of glues and residues. On glass I use a plastic putty knife as a scraper. Sometimes a razor blade, but I start with plastic. Also know that Goo Gone can leave a residue itself - i.e. I used Goo Gone on an external sticker (car dealers...) that was on glass and while the sticker came off - water wouldn't beed on that area and you'd see the outline of the sticker when the car was wet. Shouldn't be an issue in this case. But just for reference - if Goo Gone leaves a residue, Windex will get that off. I've also heard folks use WD40 to get glue off- but I've never tried it myself.

I’ve disconnected the sensor for now and it works great, but I figured $25 for new tape was worth a shot at bringing “auto” back.

Question...when I removed the sensor it appeared that it wasn’t a film of tape that could be peeled off, but it resembles more like a residue similar to glue....so I’m curious if anyone knows how what chemicals or solution should/not be used to clean the sensor.

Thanks!

I know this is off topic but does anyone know what the slot is below all the buttons on the left hand side It looks like it would hold a credit card or something...I didn't look in the manual yet...

OK, I'll let those guys go third ONLY BECAUSE they must have already fired (because it is much better on the latest LC/LX models) the engineers who decided it was OK to load up the switch panel to the left of the steering wheel with critical driving performance switches like CDL and VSC/ATRAC On/Off while leaving the switch bank on the right - which is much more visible and more accessible - completely empty:

ControlButtons_23JAN17_zpsney71zn3.jpg

:bang::bang:

I know this is off topic but does anyone know what the slot is below all the buttons on the left hand side It looks like it would hold a credit card or something...I didn't look in the manual yet...
I keep my fishing license, coffee punch cards, and the occasional parking garage ticket in that little slot.

I heard it was for an electronic toll dealeo in Japan?!?!
DSC00229_v1.jpg

Is that a retractable cubby? I don't have that in my 2011.
that's just a random pic I found on the interwebs, not a 200 series:) But I heard that Etc dealeo is what goes in our smaller slot I think? @gaijin I'm sure can shed some light on this?!?!

Last edited:

The manual has it listed as a card holder. The card holder in the LX is located in the driver visor.

Cheers,
Chris

The manual has it listed as a card holder. The card holder in the LX is located in the driver visor.

Cheers,
Chris
Could totally be a card holder and I'm just making stuff up, getting old:)

Yeah it is a card holder. I keep my coffee shop membership card in there, it's actually kinda handy.

Well maybe I'm not totally crazy:) Someone on this thread says it's for the ETC in Japan but they converted the spot to a card holder for the USA, who knows:) What is this piece of the dash?
this vid shows what is located in that spot in Japan...

View attachment 1545076

Last edited:
I use goo gone to get rid of glues and residues. On glass I use a plastic putty knife as a scraper. Sometimes a razor blade, but I start with plastic. Also know that Goo Gone can leave a residue itself - i.e. I used Goo Gone on an external sticker (car dealers...) that was on glass and while the sticker came off - water wouldn't beed on that area and you'd see the outline of the sticker when the car was wet. Shouldn't be an issue in this case. But just for reference - if Goo Gone leaves a residue, Windex will get that off. I've also heard folks use WD40 to get glue off- but I've never tried it myself.

I guess I was just wanting to make sure there is no particular film or coating on the sensor that a chemical could hurt.

Thoughts were first to use vinegar, then winded, goo gone and lastly rubbing alcohol if the residue is just stubborn.

Many garages have a card reader for access and egress and having a cad holder next to the window is handy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom