Rain Sensing Wipers..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Google "Why Automatic Wipers Suck..."

Go ahead. Do it. ;)

You will discover that all manner of makes and models of vehicles equipped with them are driven by people who hate them.

Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 12.22.20 PM.png

I had them on my '05 ES330, and they were awful. They would turn the wipers on while the car was sitting in the garage, yet sometimes a light mist outside and nothing. Somebody on ClubLexus figured out a hack where you could swap the stalk from an earlier IS and get good ol' intermittent wipers back, but I never did it. Wish I knew about the sensor disable trick.

I had them on my '05 ES330, and they were awful. They would turn the wipers on while the car was sitting in the garage, yet sometimes a light mist outside and nothing. Somebody on ClubLexus figured out a hack where you could swap the stalk from an earlier IS and get good ol' intermittent wipers back, but I never did it. Wish I knew about the sensor disable trick.

It's posted on this forum somewhere. Basically, you just unplug the wire that connects to the sensor. I believe the sensor is near your rear-view mirror. Once you unplug it, they act like normal intermittent wipers again.

Ya I sold that car almost 2 years ago, fortunately my current '07 doesn't have them. But there is likely a GX or LX in my future, I'll put this in the vault for later.

Google "Why Automatic Wipers Suck..."

Go ahead. Do it. ;)

You will discover that all manner of makes and models of vehicles equipped with them are driven by people who hate them.

Rain sensing wipers are really nice on S-class mercedes. But seeing this post makes me feel less aggravated I didn't buy newer LC.

Rain sensing wipers are really nice on S-class mercedes. But seeing this post makes me feel less aggravated I didn't buy newer LC.

Ya... I just meant that clearly there are a lot of people in many different cars who are not pleased with automatic wipers. A bit more reading into some of those links shows many of them arriving at the same conclusion as many here have concluded. Disconnection is a popoular solution.

The thing I hate most on the wipers on this truck is the "courtesy wipe" the front wipers give AFTER you have sprayed the glass and manually held down the stalk - ~5 seconds later, after you're content with the state of the glass, it wipes again on its own and leaves streaks!

Does disabling the rain-sensing wipers disable the courtesy wipe too? If so I'm doing this first thing tomorrow.

The thing I hate most on the wipers on this truck is the "courtesy wipe" the front wipers give AFTER you have sprayed the glass and manually held down the stalk - ~5 seconds later, after you're content with the state of the glass, it wipes again on its own and leaves streaks!

Does disabling the rain-sensing wipers disable the courtesy wipe too? If so I'm doing this first thing tomorrow.

Nope, still does it. I usually have to do a second mist wipe.

The "courtesy wipe" is still there, but depending on your blades, you shouldn't have any streaking... At least I don't with Bosch Icons. But the RainX's and OEM wipers (iirc) also have satisfied users without any streaking...

The engineers that implemented the courtesy wipe will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes.

No, they would be the second group against the wall. The (dis)honor of going first goes to the engineers who decided it was NOT necessary to illuminate the light buttons in the overhead console.

:bang::bang::bang:

No, they would be the second group against the wall. The (dis)honor of going first goes to the engineers who decided it was NOT necessary to illuminate the light buttons in the overhead console.

Yes. That is my pet gripe. The ONE set of buttons NOT illuminated? -The ones you ONLY seek in the DARK!! Meanwhile, the sun-roof buttons a few inches away--that are mostly used in the DAY time (you know... SUNroof?) are illuminated. :bang: Go figure.

TRUTH. Third: the guys that thought a 3-blink one-tap turn signal was too much work to include. #firstworldproblems

I'm apparently a bit of an outlier for the rain sensing feature. We've had several days of relatively warm (40s-50s) and foggy/rainy/drizzly weather here in Michigan and I love the auto rain-sensing feature on my '17. It seems to wipe the windshield clear just when I need it and it speeds up/slows down at just the right rate to keep things cleared up. And the wipers stop and start with the rain. The sensor and software are working great for me (and my wife, who is really liking many of the auto features of the LC).

TRUTH. Third: the guys that thought a 3-blink one-tap turn signal was too much work to include. #firstworldproblems

That's interesting...because I actually hate automatic blinker extension.

Funny...because I really don't like turn signals that automatically continue.

I guess this all comes down to a wish that features like this were customizable. The LC has quite a few features that can be customized...such as door lock behavior and more. It would be nice for some of these functions to have tweaks, or simply on/off options.

OK, I'll let those guys go third ONLY BECAUSE they must have already fired (because it is much better on the latest LC/LX models) the engineers who decided it was OK to load up the switch panel to the left of the steering wheel with critical driving performance switches like CDL and VSC/ATRAC On/Off while leaving the switch bank on the right - which is much more visible and more accessible - completely empty:

ControlButtons_23JAN17_zpsney71zn3.jpg

:bang::bang:

I know this is off topic (maybe we move to Model Year Differences?) but my button layout is slightly different - my CDL is on the right panel with 3 blanks (air comp, front locker, and rear locker to join eventually) and other subtle differences to the left panel... Will have to take a look for specifics (I have a 2011) but we may be tilting at windmills anyway since it seems 2016 fixed many/all of these peeves anyway.

<<hijack over>>

OK, I'll let those guys go third ONLY BECAUSE they must have already fired (because it is much better on the latest LC/LX models) the engineers who decided it was OK to load up the switch panel to the left of the steering wheel with critical driving performance switches like CDL and VSC/ATRAC On/Off while leaving the switch bank on the right - which is much more visible and more accessible - completely empty:

ControlButtons_23JAN17_zpsney71zn3.jpg

:bang::bang:
the button guys and the cup holder guys go first in my lineup:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom