Rain Sensing Wipers..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That sounds like a good approach. I like staying safe and working up to the hard stuff.

I guess I was just wanting to make sure there is no particular film or coating on the sensor that a chemical could hurt.

Thoughts were first to use vinegar, then winded, goo gone and lastly rubbing alcohol if the residue is just stubborn.

Reviving old thread:

Since I just purchased my 2015 570, I have noticed the non-responsive rain sensing wipers. A quick search led me to this thread and the reference DYI on disabling the sensor. As I opened the sensor cover I noticed the sensor itself wasn't making good contact with the windshield. I corrected the problem and sprayed water on the sensor numerous times and got the desired sensitivity from the wipers. Will try this to determine if I should keep rain sensing wipers as-is.

Last edited:
I've never had the problem with the wipers that many have mentioned. The rain sensor has pretty much been on point. Though the ability to discount and control yourself is extremely easy.

With your issue, was the gel adhesive not present for the sensor and glass? I'm finding that several folks that have their windshield replaced find that this is missing. It is a very easy fix, but is probably something that people need to be discussing with their installer.

Cheers,
Chris

I've never had the problem with the wipers that many have mentioned. The rain sensor has pretty much been on point. Though the ability to discount and control yourself is extremely easy.

With your issue, was the gel adhesive not present for the sensor and glass? I'm finding that several folks that have their windshield replaced find that this is missing. It is a very easy fix, but is probably something that people need to be discussing with their installer.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris, I just noticed the sensor separated from the windshield and all I did was adjust it. I hope real life conditions mirror my spray bottle test. If so, I'm happy.

You can adjust the sensitivity of the rain sensing feature with the inner intermittent wiper dial. The more you want it to wipe in auto mode you rotate the knob up. If you want less wiping in auto mode turn the knob back. Not sure how many people knew this since there were a lot of complaints of inconsistent wiping.
Also make sure there are no air pockets between the glass and the sensor. Usually from a windshield change.

Last edited:
upload_2018-12-1_10-27-47.png

I leave mine in auto pretty much and adjust as needed. I can the Mazda auto sensing is far better and works the way it should. Toyota clearly hasn't updated the tech in the LC/LX in this area. I find it annoying, but it wasn't a critical part of my choice to purchase one, just a minor annoyance.

Sounds like the sensor isn't stuck flush to the glass. If so you might need to replace the "RAIN SENSOR TAPE"
Or like others just unplug the sensor all together and not use the rain sense wipers.
See quoted message below from CLHickman.
My Auto rain sersor mode quit working recently, (2013 model 200). When it did work, I wasn't happy with it's so called "druken" performance either. After searching and finding this thread, I've disconnected the sensor - and the manual wiper delay does work beautifully! Thanks to all who've posted here!

There's another thread in here somewhere posted by @codyaustin5 where you can disable your 'drunken rain sensors' and revert the wiper to good ol' intermittent mode where you, as the driver, are in control of the speed.

I did this and it works perfectly - under the rear view mirror, there's a small black box about the size of a deck of cards. There is a push-tab release type of lever when once released, will slide off and reveal a small wiring harness. This is your rain sensor, and you just click/push to disconnect it, tuck it back into the black case/housing, slide the case/housing back into place and that's it!

It will be pretty obvious once you tackle it, just don't force anything or pry too hard and break any of the plastic.

Good luck!

edit: other post Intermittent wiper mode
This may be my favorite hack. I did this and I am 100% more satisfied with my wiper performance. Thanks for making me like my vehicle that much more. 😀

With the sensor disconnected, does the switch ring adjust how often the wipers cycle, like a normal vehicle?

With the sensor disconnected, does the switch ring adjust how often the wipers cycle, like a normal vehicle?
Pretty much. Give it a try, it's really easy to unplug.

I'm about to disable the sensor on mine, probably will for the winter. The dial on the stalk has NO effect on how they work for me in Auto mode.

Many thanks again to ih8mud for providing me with another quick and thorough explanation and fix, this time for the ghost in my wipers. For those not satisfied with disconnecting the sensor and using full manual mode the replacement gel pad is less than $20 and it literally takes about 1 min to replace. Now my auto sensing wipers work perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom