Radiator situation in North America (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

he still needs a RADATIOR OEM right ?

or do u need one too now also ?

Your post wasn't really implying that you have a new OEM radiator for sale so I was confused as to what you were talking about.

I was also not aware that a petrol 2UZ was built different for Japan spec VS US. I though they were all made in Japan with similar quality. Can't say the same for the 2UZ in the tundra but I thought that was the case with the cruiser.

I'm going on week 3 of a wait for my radiator ordered from Serra Toyota = may be some truth to none in North America at the moment
I ordered one almost 3 weeks ago from them and they canecelled the order. I assume because availability issues. Sux because I wanted the discount...

I'm 99% sure you can use any of the OE radiators here... and the 03-07 versions would be an upgrade... at a higher cost though.

Wondering about toyota red coolant... what do you guys recommend for sourcing and how much does it take for drain and fill?
Even if you do an excellent job of bleeding the system you can still loose that much after driving around for a few days. Check it every day for a few days and continue to top off. Coolant should stop disappearing after a few days. If it doesn't then you can start to investigate where it's going.

Super long life not recommended for some years.

@pasquinel what year is your rig? Check owners manual if in doubt of what to use and how much you need( red vs pink 50/50 ) if you just draining from radiator and refilling a gallon should be OK

Toyota put pink in my system by accident . I'm an 02 which is designed for red , they told me it's not good practice and flushed my system out for me and replaced with the proper red.

Bunch of tech talk out there about this. Either way just go with what your manual suggests

i currently have super long life coolant in my 1998, is this really a problem?
It's not a problem it's just there is a handful of tech talk around certain properties of the two and how they can effect the earlier model radiators vs the new models. I just go with what my owners manual calls for.. and in my case it's the red.

does the owners manuals state the words FACTORY RED Fluid long life pre 2004 and TOYOTA 50/50 Pre diluted Long life 2004 and later ?

Why would an owners manual say what fluid other model year vehicles take?

I can assure you that in my 2002 it tells me to use long life red due to the components of my OEM radiator.

This thread is getting to be quite pointless and off topic of the OP.....

Not even sure why I am wasting the time copying this in but...
1650045044146.png
1650045076584.png

Some info:
Toyota Long Life Coolant and Super Long Life Coolant [Review] • Road Sumo - https://roadsumo.com/toyota-long-life-super-long-life-coolant/

1650046913146.png

1650046986823.png

Last edited:
I ordered one almost 3 weeks ago from them and they canecelled the order. I assume because availability issues. Sux because I wanted the discount...
I've yet to get a cancellation notice and PayPal still shows "pending" status...I'll let it ride a few more weeks in hopes it actually comes in and ships (I too really want the discount) :)

I say: start a new thread to dive into the intricacies of red vs pink.

Also keep in mind: most aftermarket radiators are listed for the full production run of the 100-series. If you have a pre-2005 and put in a new aftermarket rad does that mean you switch to pink SLLC from red? I replaced the cracked top tank TRad in my 07 LX with a Koyo. The only piece it was missing was the foam, which I added.

My philosophy: drive more; worry less.

I used a Mishimoto all aluminum in my recent 270k service. Radiator was original OEM.

In my time as an engineer working at 5 different OEMs the plastic tanked rads were a cost cutting measure, so with this I don’t agree with using a factory part.

Super long life not recommended for some years.

@pasquinel what year is your rig? Check owners manual if in doubt of what to use and how much you need( red vs pink 50/50 ) if you just draining from radiator and refilling a gallon should be OK

Toyota put pink in my system by accident . I'm an 02 which is designed for red , they told me it's not good practice and flushed my system out for me and replaced with the proper red.

Bunch of tech talk out there about this. Either way just go with what your manual suggests
I have 95 HDJ81 1 HDFT...
A200A005-4878-47EB-979F-0BE3E67F86FE.jpeg
7142A12E-47A1-4BDB-A4FA-670DE048EFE2.jpeg
A200A005-4878-47EB-979F-0BE3E67F86FE.jpeg
7142A12E-47A1-4BDB-A4FA-670DE048EFE2.jpeg
just went to toyota dealer and got two gallons of red. I am not doing a flush at the moment but was trying to do timing belt and water pump. What a nightmare this day has been. Looks like while getting into reassembly, my belt is shorter and the tensioner that came with kit is not like mine.

My timing box layout is different than vids I found, this tensioner doesn’t have the spring. Anyone seen this?

The camelback site is letting me put a radiator in my cart.

Also, is it me or did this thread get weird really quick?

I have 95 HDJ81 1 HDFT... View attachment 2982930View attachment 2982931View attachment 2982930View attachment 2982931just went to toyota dealer and got two gallons of red. I am not doing a flush at the moment but was trying to do timing belt and water pump. What a nightmare this day has been. Looks like while getting into reassembly, my belt is shorter and the tensioner that came with kit is not like mine.

My timing box layout is different than vids I found, this tensioner doesn’t have the spring. Anyone seen this?
One of the problems with people giving and using part number advise on this global forum. Is variation in the platform. In your case, sound like your using 4.7L 2uz-fe (V8 engine) kit in a HD.

That may be so, but I’m pretty sure cruisers outfitters knew I had a 95 hdj81 with 1hdft. Did the hdj 81 come with v8 engines?
One of the problems with people giving and using part number advise on this global forum. Is variation in the platform. In your case, sound like your using 4.7L 2uz-fe (V8 engine) kit in a HD.

I'll be picking an OEM radiator today. That I reserved yesterday at my local dealership.

I also reserved: 2 jugs of red, upper & lower rad hose.

I've already have the newer OEM thermostat, Rad cap & inlet cap installed. Which I R&R last year. Due to pitting and aftermarket thermostat I found previously, while workout a running hot and other issue (created by another shop).

IMG_2313.JPEG

IMG_2318.JPEG

IMG_2317.JPEG

I'll also have on hand. A new front water bypass, it's two gasket and Throttle body gasket (98-05). As leak at upper hose to goose neck, indicates goose neck is very likely pitted.

Tip: Walmart has distilled water. Which become harder to find than OEM Radiators.

A few points on Radiators & Coolant services & choices.

A) These days I use OEM radiators, even though we've some good aftermarket choices.
1) OEM hoses & clamps, fit perfect and never leak.
2) OEM comes with all foam air dams. This reduces labor/time to transfer foam to aftermarket.
3) High standard used in manufacturing.

B) I always "flush" by just draining Radaitor & both block drains, then blowing out engine and heater cores first. I've found I can get nearly 95% of fluid, out of the coolant system.

If I feel it warranted, I will triple flush 98-03 (which are years Toy LL Red recommended) with distilled water. Further more if I find it advisable, I'll flush with BG coolant flush, at start of service. Flushing with distilled water or chemicals, is best done while old radiator still in, in most cases (provided rad not full of crude).

In the 04- which Toyota recommends Toy SLL PINK, be flushed earlier of 50K miles or 5yr, I avoid any kind of water or chemical flush, unless condition warrant it. The reason is 04- call of premix Toy SLL PINK. Which Toyota recommends we not add water, as this alters the formula. In the cases I must chemical flush, I then must triple flush with distilled water afterwords. So I them recommend next 2 coolant services, be the soon of 2yr of 30K miles, as if a red had been used.

C) Can we mix PINK and RED? YES!, according to Toyota. But is a waste to do so. As once we mixed, we must use the more restrictive flush schedule of: earlier of 2 yrs or 30K miles. For at least next two flushes (drains).

Personally I like red the best.
First it lends itself to triple flushing with distilled water.
Second I find least damage to coolant systems, that use red. I can't say that it's due the difference in formula between Red & Pink, as IDK. But feel strongly that the more restrictive flush schedule, plays a big part of why.

D) I always replace upper & lower radiator hoses, thermostat and rad cap when replacing radiators. Unless I know they are relative new OEM already installed. If aluminum goose neck of inlet cap or water bypass joint damaged/pitted. I replace or resort them them.

Notes:
Triple Distilled water flush, if tap/river water ever put in system. Or concerns of aftermarket coolants used.
Chemical flush if excessive scale/hard deposit noted, or a stop leak add. This best done just before water pump replaced.
06-07. I work do a temp fix to front water bypass "joints'" goose neck. As they require intake manifold pulled, to remove joint.

That may be so, but I’m pretty sure cruisers outfitters knew I had a 95 hdj81 with 1hdft. Did the hdj 81 come with v8 engines?
I really can't say what cruiser outfitters knew or sent you. Nor can I give any advise on a non North American 100 series (98-07 4.7L 2UZ-fe also the VVT version, which are V8 engines.

You've states you've 95, and have 97LX in signture line. Neither of which, are 100 series or V8s. You are aware, your in the 100 series tech section! I suggest you go to 80 series section and or call @cruiseroutfit. If their mistake, I bet they'll overnight free of charge if in stock. Form what I know of them, they're good guys.

Last edited:
I really can't say what cruiser outfitters knew or sent you. Nor can I give any advise on a non North American 100 series (98-07 4.7L 2UZ-fe also the VVT version, which are V8 engines.

You states you've 95, and have 97LX in signture line. Neither of which, are 100 series or V8s. You are aware, your in the 100 series tech section! I suggest you go to 80 series section and or call @cruiseroutfit. If their mistake, I bet they'll overnight free of charge if in stock. Form what I know of them, they're good guys.
I have both vehicles. Sorry for being here. I simply responded to a forum search return on coolant. I will make point in future to double check what search returns may or may not be follwed. Have a wonderful day!

Ok everybody, I think this thread can be locked as we are deviating from the original goal. I believe we have exhausted the utility of this thread now. Thanks for all the help everybody I found all the info I needed! For now I will wait on replacing my radiator but I will start another thread to update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom