Builds Putting the rust demon at bay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

At the end of February I’m heading back down to Sand Hollow for a bit of training and wheeling. I’ve gotten pretty lucky weather wise on wheeling trips and i don’t know how long that’ll last. About 5-6 years ago I bought a Bestop soft top off someone in Boise. Then I threw it in storage until I needed it. Then I never wanted to spend a nice warm day putting the top on- I mean who wastes a nice day putting a soft top on, when you could be out enjoying your cruiser... Add to this that I don’t drive it during the winter for fear of corrosion.

So I cranked the heat up help the top get malleable and set about installing the bows. AND finding the bits and pieces scattered around the garage. Couldn’t find the windshield bracket for the door frame. Made some.
IMG_1970.jpeg
Couldn’t find the connectors for the bows. Made some. While digging in the scrap bin, I found the connectors. While getting the top out I found the windshield brackets (& a mouse nest). That’s how long term storage goes I guess. I added some bicycle inner tube under the brackets to protect the paint. The HiLift and brackets came off the back of the cage. The homemade mirror bracket came off the drivers hinge- probably going to spring for the oem mirror arms now. The struggle is real.
IMG_1972.jpeg

Anyway, it’s on. It fits pretty good. Stretching it was fun, hopefully, I don’t have to do it again soon. Maybe I’ll install a heater. Hahahahahahaha

This did get me to do some panel adjustment. The panels were pretty far out of alignment from trail riding. They are better now. Not show quality, but I did get rid of the overbite in the hood. While I was tightening bib fender bolts, I noticed this-
IMG_1971.jpeg

Having the steering box firmly attached to the frame is probably important. It’s Remedied. I ran out of time to do a thorough torque check on the rest of the truck. Tomorrow…

With softop and doors on I was in need of a new side mirror solution. The old ones I had fabbed up to slide over the door hinge when the doors were off (always). So I bit the bullet and bought the factory arms and mirrors. While the arms seemed a bit pricey, the mirror heads were shockingly in line with what I would have paid for a comparable Trucklite unit. The mirror is a bit smaller than I’m used to, but I’ll get used to it.
IMG_2031.jpeg

There’s a lot bigger things to work on and the ev f100 is constantly stealing time, but I did this anyway. When I put the cruiser back together after the frame off paint job, I never put the grill back on the cowl vent. I couldn’t find remember the clips that likely allowed the screws to hold the grill back in. Since I’m this far from oem, I didn’t feel bad about an upgrade.
IMG_2059.jpeg
We have a Rivnut tool at work, but I figured I could handle four inserts by hand. Painted a couple of the old oem screws and we were back in business.
IMG_2074.jpeg
Paint on the screws is a little off, but it should cure to same color. Little victories are good too.

@archie73 im glad you commented, after @Chungas Revenge mentioned your build, I was searching around to see if you had any photos. Sure looks close to yours in color…nice truck

@archie73 im glad you commented, after @Chungas Revenge mentioned your build, I was searching around to see if you had any photos. Sure looks close to yours in color…nice truck
Another pumpkin!!! I used a color formula on CCOT site, since I couldn’t find the Toyota formula. I’m jealous you have a 45. Always wanted one and 55 and LV and….

I want an FJ28 🙄. You had better add that to your list, too.
That is pretty cool too. Funny thing is I don’t like troopys- they have weird proportions to me. 60s are neat. 80s look like a beast offroad, but lost the cool factor in terms of looks. The rest of the US market I just don’t know…

To each their own

That is pretty cool too. Funny thing is I don’t like troopys- they have weird proportions to me. 60s are neat. 80s look like a beast offroad, but lost the cool factor in terms of looks. The rest of the US market I just don’t know…

To each their own
I agree with you. Most people would be against this but I’d bob the back by 20” or more, link it, and modernize the heck out of it while keeping the original feel. 33” all terrain tires. LS3. 6spd auto. Etc. it would replace our 4Runner.

Feels good to be back in St George. Drove down yesterday.
IMG_2160.jpeg
Just in time to miss a massive snowstorm. And another on the way Thursday. Not here- 60 deg and a little wind.
IMG_2165.jpeg
Nothing to crazy yet just tooling around above the lake.

Well it’s sad Sunday again, gotta find a solution to this problem…

At any rate, it was another good trip. Did a little work, some mountain biking on gooseberry and enough wheeling in sand hollow. But you guys don’t want to hear about the first two…

For whatever reason we seeemed to be focused on Sliplock and John’s trails this time. The first night we had an hour to kill, so we played in area below the water tanks before the sun set. Nothing crazy, I just wanted to ease back in to it.
IMG_9927.jpeg

Next trail we went to Sliplock and I was doing fine. The cruiser was doing its thing- creaking and groaning up the trail. When we got to the spot I tipped last year, I was working my way up the obstacle (wall to the left and ledges to the right) I thought I had a good chance. Then the front driver tire came up in a rather unsettling way. After a brief discussion, we hooked up to the bronco and pulled the frontend back down. In retrospect, it took only a couple minutes to get in a better position, but my leg was doing jumping jacks holding the brake pedal by the time I was able to drive out of it. Best news no harm was done to person or truck, I got a good adrenaline rush out of it though. (I’ll add a pic if I get the video from my buddy).

Next it was onto John’s trail. I was in groove hear and were joined by some razors. They did what razors do and skittered up obstacles in a full throttle kinda way. We plodded along at our pace and I was feeling my groove. Until I realized I was loosing my power steering. By the time I got to the last section, I knew I better bail out as steering at slow speed was difficult to impossible. At times a simple maneuver was requiring a three point turn. I watched my friends from the ridge before we turned back down.

In a desire to save time, I drove straight to Hurricane to get a new pump. All the while I was running scenarios of what it might be other then the pump- something to do with the locker? Something in the box? Linkage? But I was able to turn as long as I was going over 10–15mph with my tires at 18psi, so I kept with the pump assumption. The parts store provided the pump an fresh juice, so I was back to the house to start pulling the pump. This was interupted by and elk dinner and another trip to get a pulley puller/installer kit. And through some moaning and cursing I had a new pump installed. Amazingly quiet now. I had pulled the pump out of the junkyard when I did the LS swap, it worked for a couple years I guess.

Next day was rinse and repeat. We had another guy join and we were back to the same areas. This time we hit hardtop alley. This has a bonus line up a nearly vertical wall. The jk on 40’s gave it a shot and stopped in a similar position as what I had the day before. I got to return the favor by winching his front end down so he could safely climb out of the position he was in.

From there we continued on the right trail. First you crawl over a tight notch and then it’s up a wider notch. Turns out the notch is a bit wider than my track. Ended up testing the strength of the Aqualu sill. Quite stout it turns out, I lost some paint, but the metal is straight. ( The jk returned the favor and anchored my winch to get me out of the spot).
IMG_2215.png

Last day of wheeling ended with this scenario-
IMG_2206.jpeg
The bronco came down on his fender, which sent the radiator into the mechanical fan. The place it came to a rest was a bit precarious, so we pulled winch again and brought it up to the top. Luckily, we found a long downhill track to take us to the bottom. I pulled him to the water tanks while someone else grabbed a trailer. Certainly put an end to the wheeling for us.
Next day was a bike ride in the morning and getting ready for the drive home. No complaints there.

Made it home to 2’ of fresh at the house.
IMG_2218.jpeg
We were getting reports from those at home of the snowstorm last couple days. They weren’t exaggerating, it’s a mess. Roads were messy the closer we got to home, but manageable if you kept it slow. It was tricky getting the trailer into its winter spot as the plow must of been rushed when he was here last.

Cruiser is tucked back in now.
IMG_2219.jpeg

Outside of the missing paint I don’t have a whole lot to repair this time. So I got that going for me….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom