Purchasing a 100 series - 2005, 1 owner, 200k mile. Am I ok to drive back with timing belt way past due? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I basically found a 100 series, true 1 owner with perfectly documented maintenance records for the past 20 years for 15k. The timing belt was last replaced 6-2010, 89k miles. I plan to take it to my local guy to replace the timing belt and water pump on Monday. Can I trust this thing not to break for another 500 miles? Worried about the the time and mileage on the belt snapping on me on my drive back.

I think the odds are in your favor. Belts have gone way beyond 120k miles.

Belt won't break easily unless you hear any bearing noise. You are good to go. Inspect radiator and coolant hoses, most importantly heater Ts.

Belt won't break easily unless you hear any bearing noise. You are good to go. Inspect radiator and coolant hoses, most importantly heater Ts.
Ok good deal. Hoses, heater T and radiator were replaced 30k miles ago. The owner is some 70 year old lady and she said she didnt want to foot the bill from the Toyota dealership. Thanks guys.

Do a quick pre flight checkup: oil, coolant level (cold), brake fluid (follow instructions on brake reservoir so you don't overfill), tire pressure, noises while idling to make sure everything is tight, light bulbs to avoid unnecessary tickets, look for major leaks when it warmed up, insert a few discs in the changer (yes, cd's, you have those?) and hit the road!

The timing belt can wait till you get home

It only takes 3 bolts to remove the camgear cover and take a peek at the timing belt, in less than 5 mins it can give the peace of mind you need to drive it.
1 :banana: job.

Timing belts do not go bad from age only mileage. They are kevlar not rubber. Drive it!
Curious, considering that at some point Toyota/Lexus says “7 years” or “90k miles”, both probably with an excessive safety margin…

Mine was last done about 10 years ago but only about 40k. It is regularly driven. (I had the same question of a Yota tech - he laughed said drive it, see you in 50k miles) It will be fine.

Recently purchased 05 with identical profile, except TB was *never* done in its first owner's 200k miles.

I just did the TB job myself. I am convinced it could have kept chugging for many more miles.

Drive it.

Mine was last done about 10 years ago but only about 40k. It is regularly driven. (I had the same question of a Yota tech - he laughed said drive it, see you in 50k miles) It will be fine.
I’m a little more anal about my 06 LX (allegedly VVTI is interference), than my 99 LX, or my son’s 00 LC (allegedly non-interference).

I’m a little more anal about my 06 LX (allegedly VVTI is interference), than my 99 LX, or my son’s 00 LC (allegedly non-interference).
I get that. And nothing beats maticulous maintenance (I was once a helicopter mechanic). Mine is a '00 but I think it is interference. (Tell me if I am wrong) Although I do a bunch of stuff myself I do trust my chosen shop more than myself. ;)
Kurt has a great Aisin TB kit for not much moola. I may give it a go myself next time since I am retiring soon.

I get that. And nothing beats maticulous maintenance (I was once a helicopter mechanic). Mine is a '00 but I think it is interference. (Tell me if I am wrong) Although I do a bunch of stuff myself I do trust my chosen shop more than myself. ;)
Kurt has a great Aisin TB kit for not much moola. I may give it a go myself next time since I am retiring soon.
Contradictory to Toyota’s warnings, anecdotally, 98-05 (non-VVTI) seems to be non-interference. 06-07 VVTI, does anecdotally, seem to be interference.

Yep, Kurt’s kit is “good s***”…

I replaced the timing belt in 2006 at 100k miles with all new OEM parts, belt, water pump, idlers, from the local Toyota dealer ("Cruiser Dan"). Now at 240k miles I figured it's time again. Took it apart yesterday and lots of dried coolant crud had leaked behind the corner of the water pump but never dripped on the ground, some grease & grime deposits on the stationary idler bearing seal. A little oil leakage at the tensioner seal. Belt looks perfect, still has part number imprints and absolutely no signs of cracks or distress at the teeth roots. This time I'm using an Aisin kit with a new tensioner. Ditched the Aisin belt and bought a Continental Conti-tech belt. New metal heater hose tee's. The fan bracket bearing is a bit noisy so bought a new Dorman. Hope it lasts, read a few bad reviews on Amazon but mostly good, fingers crossed. If all goes well, good for another 10-15 years/100k plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom