Puma 12V Compressor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just went out and took some hard data.

First, i was not really able to get true electrical readings because i have most of the wiring pretty covered up and i'm leaving for a trip soon, so i didn't feel like moving it all.

I aired down my tire to 20psi (315's). I started with the puma tank full which is approximately 100psi. Hit the stop watch and started airing up. It took 1:47ish to fill the tire to 40psi.

The compressor head, the one with the aluminum fins, was hot. But, after more thought and discussion that should be completely normal since that is where the air compression is going on and that's just pure physics. The motor was not hot.

I'll see if i can get some voltage readings later.

IMG_1350.JPG
IMG_1352.JPG
IMG_1356.JPG

Remove the cover on the pressure switch box for best voltage reading. Take the voltage reading after it has run for a few minutes and obviously while its running.:grinpimp: What size wire are you running to the PUMA and how is the feeder wire connected to the PUMA?

Are you thinking 1:47 is slow:crybaby::crybaby::crybaby: granted your next tire will be much slower ~2:15-2:30 range

Nice PUMA mount BTW :D

I just went out and took some hard data.

First, i was not really able to get true electrical readings because i have most of the wiring pretty covered up and i'm leaving for a trip soon, so i didn't feel like moving it all.

I aired down my tire to 20psi (315's). I started with the puma tank full which is approximately 100psi. Hit the stop watch and started airing up. It took 1:47ish to fill the tire to 40psi.

The compressor head, the one with the aluminum fins, was hot. But, after more thought and discussion that should be completely normal since that is where the air compression is going on and that's just pure physics. The motor was not hot.

I'll see if i can get some voltage readings later.

View attachment 1119972 View attachment 1119973 View attachment 1119974
Sounds like all is good then?

i'm running 2ga all the way back from the battery with a 50amp breaker switch to the two feeder wires that come stock with the puma.

oh, and no that's not slow at all!!! I am not sure what i was thinking... it might be because i didn't have the tank full at first and i filled two sets of 315 tires....

Last edited:
i'm running 2ga all the way back from the battery with a 50amp breaker switch to the two feeder wires that come stock with the puma.

oh, and no that's not slow at all!!! I am not sure what i was thinking... it might be because i didn't have the tank full at first and i filled two sets of 315 tires....

Is :smokin: legal where you live :D

I think it's time for me to hard mount a compressor in the back of my 80. I did this to my old tacoma and I've missed the ease of use ever since I got my 80. In the 80 I've been using the MV50 and it just seems like a burden every time I use it cuz I have to set it up and it takes so long. My goal is to be able to hook my hose up, turn the pump on and air away... I've got the electrical schematic down but have a couple questions...

I plan to separate the tank and mount only the compressor in the 80. I don't have intentions of using air tools, only airing tires using an open flow clip on ball valve. Do I need to keep or use a check valve?

Also, my firewall is running out of existing grommets for running stuff to the cab. Where are you guys running this good size cable through?

Greetings Fellow Puma Freaks,

Does anybody know the thread size of the drain? I've got mine mounted tight against the cargo panel and can't operate the drain. I'd like to plumb it out. What are you guys doing about draining?

Thanks for any help or ideas.

IMG_2974.JPG

Greetings Fellow Puma Freaks,

Does anybody know the thread size of the drain? I've got mine mounted tight against the cargo panel and can't operate the drain. I'd like to plumb it out. What are you guys doing about draining?

Thanks for any help or ideas.

View attachment 1140114

I have never had any accumulation of moisture or water after several attempts to drain.

says the guy in the dry arid climate....

The couple times I drained mine I did not get anything either; says the guy in the wet climate. BUT...I do/did have some small corrosion in the motor housing that I believe caused the motor to seize. Unit is still apart on my bench and will finish it one of these days....
No drain for that though! Although.... :hmm:

I've never played with a 12 volt compressor before, but both my shop compressors need to be drained daily. I did notice the drain isn't on the bottom of the tank. Wonder if it needs air pressure to blow the water out. I do know it's not NPT threads. Maybe I could weld a bung on the other side.

Thanks Guys!

I'm planning on replacing the tank for a 5 gallon tank and mount the new tank under the truck. What do I need to divorce the tank? Add an extension from the copper hose and run it to the new tank? Can a nylon hose be used as the copper hose get hot after running for a while?

Can a nylon hose be used as the copper hose get hot after running for a while?
I think it would get too hot for most non metal hoses commonly available. I just replaced it with a longer copper tube. I did put a coil in it for additional cooling, and flex for vibrations. Use a proper tube bender when making a tight coil. It is easy to kink copper.

I think it would get too hot for most non metal hoses commonly available. I just replaced it with a longer copper tube. I did put a coil in it for additional cooling, and flex for vibrations. Use a proper tube bender when making a tight coil. It is easy to kink copper.
Do google search on Bauer compressor parts. I used to run scuba compressors (much higher pressure and probably hotter) that used flexible hose.

Do google search on Bauer compressor parts. I used to run scuba compressors (much higher pressure and probably hotter) that used flexible hose.
Won't those be all very high pressure fittings? Adapters may be available so who knows?

Won't those be all very high pressure fittings? Adapters may be available so who knows?

Scuba can go from 2400-3500 psi....BIG difference then the 100-125 psi were talking on the Puma.

I have never had any accumulation of moisture or water after several attempts to drain.
I live in a moist environment (PNW) and have never had a drop come out of the drain.

I threaded a 1/8 or 1/4 or whatever it was NPT (it IS NPT) push to connect 90 into the drain, and then I ran a length of clear 1/4" poly to another push to connect fitting coupled to a twist drain.

I ran the stock tank but split something somewhere with a 90 and then I used a push to connect fitting and ran 1/4 nylon DOT air brake line down to a tank under the truck that came off a over the road truck with air brakes.

All of the bungs on the PUMA are NPT.

Here's my final setup. Airline runs to both ARBs and a air line ran out the back for filling tires. The 55s have reflectors on the back that are hard to find still good, so I just replaced them with machined alum. and a rubber plug cover that I drilled out, so the air chuck could pass through.

IMG_2998.JPG

IMG_3021.JPG

IMG_2990.JPG

The other side is a plug in for the battery maintainer.

IMG_2991.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom