Pull Knob removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m in the midst of restoring the dash pull knobs for my BJ40. Half the knobs have set screws…..the other half do not. Without a set screw in a knob, how are they removed? I’ve tried gently pulling and gently turning them to see if they thread off. They don’t / won’t. Seeking some guidance on this!

Depending which knobs they are, the ones that don’t have set screws don’t come off. You have a nut in the back side of the dash that needs to loosen and the the whole knob and cable pull through and out (choke, warm pull, fresh pull, etc).
Here are mine in my 1975 fj40 that I just restored:
IMG_0302.jpeg

These don’t have set screws and need to be pulled out after loosening the nut behind them.
IMG_0301.jpeg

These are the ones with set screws:
IMG_0300.jpeg

IMG_0303.jpeg

IMG_1445.jpeg

I’m in the midst of restoring the dash pull knobs for my BJ40. Half the knobs have set screws…..the other half do not. Without a set screw in a knob, how are they removed? I’ve tried gently pulling and gently turning them to see if they thread off. They don’t / won’t. Seeking some guidance on this!

WARM PULL

FRESH PULL

HAND THROTTLE

CHOKE

Are all cast / vulcanized onto the D-GROOVE shafts

You must pull the whole cable

NOTE the D -GROOVE profile holes in your meter dash …

D273086C-731D-4A5A-8F16-E7A3FABB06A9.jpeg
5C3F4A4F-707E-43BB-ACA1-667DBD9DB500.jpeg
FBF83BBC-CBBF-4BF9-96D8-5D389521B61B.jpeg

Depending which knobs they are, the ones that don’t have set screws don’t come off. You have a nut in the back side of the dash that needs to loosen and the the whole knob and cable pull through and out (choke, warm pull, fresh pull, etc).
Here are mine in my 1975 fj40 that I just restored:
View attachment 3526432

These don’t have set screws and need to be pulled out after loosening the nut behind them.
View attachment 3526425

These are the ones with set screws:
View attachment 3526426
View attachment 3526423
View attachment 3526431
Thank you!

remember ...

all it takes is to restore 1 land cruiser control cable on your BJ40 ....,

and , you can loose control like i did long ago :D

download (25) - Copy.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back