Which Bulbs inside 1973 FJ40 Pull knobs (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
which pull knobs are supposed to have light bulbs in them and which bulbs are used. Is it the same bulbs that are in the speedometer cluster?

which pull knobs are supposed to have light bulbs in them and which bulbs are used. Is it the same bulbs that are in the speedometer cluster?
not sure about a 73 specifically but the only know that I know of that has illumination is the headlight - and then the light is only on after you pull the knob and the headlights are on.

Any idea of what bulb would be used?
search is your friend for that answer. There is a popular replacement that's LED from UltraBright LED's - not sure of the p/n

I have original bulbs if need, just let me know which ones you need, brand new OEM

Does anyone have a source of the clear "fiber optic" tube that goes between the tiny rice-grain bulb and the illuminated part of the pull knob?

20181126_102143.jpg

This bulb!

I used these because I wanted green. They also have other colors including warm white and white.

Ruiandsion BA7S Instrument LED Light F3 1 LED 12V DC Green Car Mini Bulbs Lamps Led Car Instrument Light Warning lamp,Negative Earth (Pack of 4)
https://a.co/d/0JGfgUY

I need the bulb that goes inside a 1973 FJ40 Headlight pull knob.
send me a PM and I will Look tomorrow, I will look up the PN to make sure you get the right one, but pretty sure there is only one, and I do have a box of them. I believe you will like the price.

PN 90981-11009

Last edited:
Never knew my 73 headlight know was supposed to light up till this year. I’ve only owned it for 20 years. Better go find a bulb. I need to clean some contacts anyway.

Never knew my 73 headlight know was supposed to light up till this year. I’ve only owned it for 20 years. Better go find a bulb. I need to clean some contacts anyway.

just take step by step photos , and hand written vehicle journal notes too , that UNICORN 1973 1 modle year only Lighted Knob Head Lamp switch platform , is Hands Down the greatest achievement TOYOTA ever created when it comes to the whole OEM Lighted Knobs pull switch topic in general , and as a whole

- you ONLY get 1 chance to get it right , if you have to un-fold and re-fold teh 6 metal folding tabs , 1 or more will fatigue right off , and its OVER if you loose even one .. so measure 8 times cut once it the idea there , buy the WD-40 CIRCUT BOARD cleaner at home depot or napa its a mirical product doing what it is your going to attempt ...

- Lastly , and this is a READ IT 3 TIMES word to the wise , upon removing the knob via its MICRO set screw , do not even breath ! get the 3/4' long piece of oem toyota 3mm vacuum hose and carefully twist it on the brass shaft to site protect the 1/4" + long fiber optic core the extends out of it , IF you DO NOT do this , upon pushing and pulling the switch carefully you may think ....

- that tip on the end WILL snap odd at the D-GROOVE dash hole or the lip of the metal dash below as you lower it down and out

- i have broke several in my toyota life time , and you CAN"T fix it , super glue will block the lumens light 100% , also with no tip extending deep into the knob near the face , NO lumens will travel thu a dark hole on there own ...

- the switch becomes aq PARTS CORE instantly , and that makes my feelings hurt bad , when it happend , and yours will go down to you gut too ,

see the TECH images below , i swear by this 3/4" oem 3mm vacuum hose over ANY lighted knob TOYOTA pull switch , it works well , if you work it as you should , try to cheat fate on this please let us all know how it went the next day :confused:

- odd facts :

- it was the First Rodeo at that concept of a back lit knob , via a solid Fiber-Optic core inside the pull stalk

- NO silly Rheostat Dimmer lame feature , that got all corroded as years went by

- the Lamp socket in the Back is notable amount closer to the back end fiber optic core , hence BRIGHTER LUMENs

- the 74-84 silly rotate ones its further away from the knob , so much so it is apples to apples dimmer to the human eye ,....

- why AX a good initial thing like the 84112-20020 / 20030 exactly was ? who the F knows ....., that tid-bit of the WHY is lost to the ashes of history for sure !

- my only single PARSEC of a maybe , is perhaps the USA or California made a interior illumination dimmer a mandatory safe driving at night thing ?
that is my own creative active mind 's conspiracy theory only to be clear , but all the past years 1962-1990 it seams CALIFORNA was the leader in all thins change and safe..

- i have a idea now , i will shoot a brief TECH video short and show you the WHY of the 1973 light switch is more state of the are in 1973 then the Apollo Space program , you will not believe what you are about to see demonstrated , and comparison to the 74-84 rotate knob ones , i have NEVER seen this tech. topic on or in any other lighted knob toyota switch in my life , and i do have a specimen example of every single one / every part # toyota ever produced and had inside a Truck , car and the LX 1/79-1984 40 series OIL Sheiks modle , ALL pull switches lit up , there was NO fan pull in the SAUDI MARKET 40's ,,,,fyi

stay tuned : this will be epic ...

just take step by step photos , and hand written vehicle journal notes too , that UNICORN 1973 1 modle year only Lighted Knob Head Lamp switch platform , is Hands Down the greatest achievement TOYOTA ever created when it comes to the whole OEM Lighted Knobs pull switch topic in general , and as a whole

- you ONLY get 1 chance to get it right , if you have to un-fold and re-fold teh 6 metal folding tabs , 1 or more will fatigue right off , and its OVER if you loose even one .. so measure 8 times cut once it the idea there , buy the WD-40 CIRCUT BOARD cleaner at home depot or napa its a mirical product doing what it is your going to attempt ...

- Lastly , and this is a READ IT 3 TIMES word to the wise , upon removing the knob via its MICRO set screw , do not even breath ! get the 3/4' long piece of oem toyota 3mm vacuum hose and carefully twist it on the brass shaft to site protect the 1/4" + long fiber optic core the extends out of it , IF you DO NOT do this , upon pushing and pulling the switch carefully you may think ....

- that tip on the end WILL snap odd at the D-GROOVE dash hole or the lip of the metal dash below as you lower it down and out

- i have broke several in my toyota life time , and you CAN"T fix it , super glue will block the lumens light 100% , also with no tip extending deep into the knob near the face , NO lumens will travel thu a dark hole on there own ...

- the switch becomes aq PARTS CORE instantly , and that makes my feelings hurt bad , when it happend , and yours will go down to you gut too ,

see the TECH images below , i swear by this 3/4" oem 3mm vacuum hose over ANY lighted knob TOYOTA pull switch , it works well , if you work it as you should , try to cheat fate on this please let us all know how it went the next day :confused:

- odd facts :

- it was the First Rodeo at that concept of a back lit knob , via a solid Fiber-Optic core inside the pull stalk

- NO silly Rheostat Dimmer lame feature , that got all corroded as years went by

- the Lamp socket in the Back is notable amount closer to the back end fiber optic core , hence BRIGHTER LUMENs

- the 74-84 silly rotate ones its further away from the knob , so much so it is apples to apples dimmer to the human eye ,....

- why AX a good initial thing like the 84112-20020 / 20030 exactly was ? who the F knows ....., that tid-bit of the WHY is lost to the ashes of history for sure !

- my only single PARSEC of a maybe , is perhaps the USA or California made a interior illumination dimmer a mandatory safe driving at night thing ?
that is my own creative active mind 's conspiracy theory only to be clear , but all the past years 1962-1990 it seams CALIFORNA was the leader in all thins change and safe..

- i have a idea now , i will shoot a brief TECH video short and show you the WHY of the 1973 light switch is more state of the are in 1973 then the Apollo Space program , you will not believe what you are about to see demonstrated , and comparison to the 74-84 rotate knob ones , i have NEVER seen this tech. topic on or in any other lighted knob toyota switch in my life , and i do have a specimen example of every single one / every part # toyota ever produced and had inside a Truck , car and the LX 1/79-1984 40 series OIL Sheiks modle , ALL pull switches lit up , there was NO fan pull in the SAUDI MARKET 40's ,,,,fyi

stay tuned : this will be epic ...

Thoroughly looking forward to it!

Does anyone have a source of the clear "fiber optic" tube that goes between the tiny rice-grain bulb and the illuminated part of the pull knob?
This?
1700235970232.png

I don't know specifically what you're looking for; I can't remember an optical fiber anywhere. You used to be able to get these, attached to a light source, as a "learning toy" from Radio Shack. All optical fiber is the same. As long as you're not using it for data transmission.

This?
View attachment 3483972
I don't know specifically what you're looking for; I can't remember an optical fiber anywhere. You used to be able to get these, attached to a light source, as a "learning toy" from Radio Shack. All optical fiber is the same. As long as you're not using it for data transmission.
It functions in the same way as those fibers, but it's rigid, about the diameter of a popsicle stick, and about 50cm long.

The lighted switch was an impressive design for the early '70s: the light bulb sits deep in the housing box on the engine side of the dashboard. The light is carried by the "popsicle fiber" through the dash to the interior side of the switch -- through a channel in the switch stem -- and lights the knob. Sadly, I broke my popsicle stick while discovering this engineering marvel. :lol:

It functions in the same way as those fibers, but it's rigid, about the diameter of a popsicle stick, and about 50cm long.

The lighted switch was an impressive design for the early '70s: the light bulb sits deep in the housing box on the engine side of the dashboard. The light is carried by the "popsicle fiber" through the dash to the interior side of the switch -- through a channel in the switch stem -- and lights the knob. Sadly, I broke my popsicle stick while discovering this engineering marvel. :lol:
You can either try to find a thick optical fiber, or replace the single part with a bundle. Both will work equally well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom