Projecting, tinkering, fiddle-farting around: whatcha building? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey @Hack, found you on LumberJocks!

This showed up in my garage the other day:
View attachment 2572719

Might try to convert to 2-stage with one of those bigger Dust Deputy things. Eyeing your setup, very nice!
Great acquisition!

The modified HF dust collector I have/built was probably one of the best improvements in shop cleanliness I could have made. Taming the various machines is a continual work in progress. I've got the table saw under control. And the DeWalt planer. The miter saw and radial arm saw might need some additional 'tweaking'. I'm still looking at the bandsaw, router table, and drill press for ideas. I sweep religiously (OCD), but there's not as much rampant sawdust. I recently added a second PowerTec air filtration system that helps 'scrub' the air. Since I work in my basement, I really need to keep dust down to a minimum.

20190406_145255.jpg
20210202_043850.jpg

No good place on the floor joists to mount the second one due to HVAC and plumbing ducts/piping, so I've got it sitting on a shelf on the opposite wall. Really keeps the air moving, and I need to change filters every couple of months. I upgraded the outer filters to MERV 8 on both of them.

Do the cyclone setup. I have not noticeable dust in the bag under the filter now. If you need mobility, you'll need to re-design the base. Adding the SuperDust Deputy to my HF collector increased the footprint by about 30%. But of all the tools in my basement shop, the dust collector only needs to be moved occasionally. And that's just to either empty the drum, or clean around the area.

Are you thinking about installing piping for the DC?

Last edited:
Getting there, I need to finish up behind stove by bending up some metal for a heat shield.
Finish insulating the roof with another layer of rigid foam.

Spending my first weekend there this weekend😁

4DCAD676-9359-4DD8-8946-152D9B9C37AD.jpeg

CB6F9A94-5DCF-4195-B974-4BC7B4BB949D.jpeg

10336ABE-37BF-4A70-879A-911D2CBBEDB6.jpeg

A96C06E7-C3ED-44C6-92BB-B747D2008A88.jpeg

8EDB0694-98BE-4FA0-9BE9-F94C4CA4CAA1.jpeg

Because my camp is in the snowbelt of the province I need a sled😉!

My cousin donated his 1980 Yamaha Enticer 250👍.

It was very rough🙁, but not a problem, just another project🙄😂

88E02F4B-1328-4D1F-AFA3-674BB00F48EF.jpeg

DDECC4B6-34D8-468D-860E-D4147F0C0F5D.jpeg

CF0B0432-624A-4A1F-A12A-3573316B4C0D.jpeg

87A87058-AC2C-439E-BC67-4F67DFD8827B.jpeg

FDF2BFA2-B4FC-4B1C-AAD5-F264E4FD3E7A.jpeg

Do the cyclone setup. I have not noticeable dust in the bag under the filter now. If you need mobility, you'll need to re-design the base. Adding the SuperDust Deputy to my HF collector increased the footprint by about 30%. But of all the tools in my basement shop, the dust collector only needs to be moved occasionally. And that's just to either empty the drum, or clean around the area.

Are you thinking about installing piping for the DC?

I'm not gonna do hard pipe for this shop. I'm in the garage, which means I have to put everything away if I want to get both cars back inside. I'll have to make do with a piece of 4" flex hose for now. Will go for piping in my NEXT place, which I have planned to happen in Fall 2022.

I have the smaller version of the Dust Deputy on a 5 gal bucket on my old table saw, and it's pretty amazing how well it works. But that's not gonna cut it for my upgrade that is arriving soon, a SawStop PCS 3hp. Can't wait! I also need something that will handle the Dewalt planer, wow that thing spews the chips huh?

I have a line on a used Powermatic PM1250 air cleaner, not sure if I will go for it or not. I won't do woodworking in the basement, for the reasons you say.

Will go for piping in my NEXT place, which I have planned to happen in Fall 2022.

I also need something that will handle the Dewalt planer, wow that thing spews the chips huh?

I have a line on a used Powermatic PM1250 air cleaner, not sure if I will go for it or not. I won't do woodworking in the basement, for the reasons you say.
IMO, the dust collector you have will support 5" main duct work. But there's no PVC DVW (drain/vent/waste) pipe in 5" that I could find. So I ran my main lines all in 4" DVW.

20200219_123743.jpg

I have 4 drops on one wall. Since this pic was take, I expanded the system to the opposite wall to add another drop and floor sweep:

20200803_120135.jpg

Going all 4" DVW, made it easier to buy off the shelf blast gates and fittings. Also it's cheaper. 6" DVW would be ideal, but you'll really need to upgrade to a larger dust collector to support the CFM necessary to work. You could go with 5" steel duct, reduce to 4" at the machines. But steel duct, the heavy duty quality stuff, is more money.

Here's how I tamed my DeWalt 735 planer:

20181025_164900.jpg

Simple 30 gallon trash can, separator lid, and a bag filter. I could hook the outlet up to my dust collection system, but for the most part, this does a fine job. A planer makes a lot of chips, so it's more convenient (for me), to just empty the can when it get's about half full. Any more than half full, and it starts blowing into the filter bag, which is not fun to clean out.

If airborne dust isn't a concern, than you don't need the filtration system. Just wear a good mask when sanding, etc. I've been super happy with the customer service from PowerTec.

Well it's done:

Before pic:

122760339_3373004056150016_3518091085580587099_n.jpg

After pics:

20210204_165626.jpg
20210204_165553.jpg

20210204_165749.jpg

Not at all pleased with the Chrome paint (Dupli-Color Automotive) that I used to do the handles. Paint doesn't seem to harden. And the can says 'can be handled in 1 hour'. Not without fingerprints, or gouges. It doesn't like heat (for curing), and you can't clear coat it (without changing the color).

Luckily, it's not going to live a hard life in my shop.

Last edited:
The new project just rolled into the shop:

20210207_122015.jpg

This is identical to the last one I bought/sold (and a stack I already have), but it's got 'good bones'. A lot of surface rust from decades of being in garages. A couple of bent drawers, and some old Dymo labels, but otherwise good shape.

I don't know how far I'll go on this one, I might just clean it up, and sell it, since I already have this stack. But we'll see how it looks once I get the drawers all pulled out.

Pulled all the drawers/slides out of the Craftsman 'stack':

20210208_122604.jpg

Nineteen drawers, thirty-eight slides. I'm going to tackle the upper (10 drawer) box first. Spent a number of hours cleaning the upper drawers and slides. I really don't want to paint them, and for the most part they are in decent condition for a 48 year old tool box.

Before I took some rubbing compound to them: After some 'elbow grease':

20210209_082201.jpg
20210209_102040.jpg

Not perfect, and the pics don't really show the improvement, but they are noticeably more 'red' than 'orange'.

The case needs a serious cleaning, but it's 18 degrees outside, and I'm not firing up the pressure washer. Or going to the car wash.

20210209_082624.jpg

There's a lot of surface rust, and the usual environmental 'fall out' from years of sitting in garages. I'm thinking I can just scotch brite it, blow some primer on, then hit it with a light coat of gray hammer tone.

We'll see....

Reactions: KLF
So I checked off another 'to do' project: Made a mounting plate/accessory holder for my hose reel at my lake house garage:

20210206_135024.jpg
20210210_133035.jpg
20210210_133054.jpg

The quick connect fitting (new purchase) was leaking, so I swapped in an old brass one I had. I use the larger automotive style fittings, so they're a bit harder to find. The accessory rack is just a piece of aluminum angle that I drilled/slotted and bent the forward edge up a bit. I shortened a 50' hose I had, to run from the compressor to the reel. I'll be adding some clamps to hold it against the wall and below the window. The rest can lie on the floor under some shelving units. I still want to modify the compressor outlet for dual quick connects, so I can run a short hose over to the workbench. Got to get some more fittings this week.

A little baby came home today:

20210214_181349.jpg
20210214_181426.jpg

12/70 build date. No key, but I can get one made. This is going to get the full cosmetic resto, but it's going to have to wait for a while, as it's behind the 10 drawer/9 drawer stack I'm in the process of working on.

Other than one small ding in the top, and the usual rust, it's in very good shape for being over 50 years old. I'm going to give it a good bath tomorrow with some Super Clean, get a key cut for it, and then just set it aside for later. It's going to take some serious masking, as I don't want to remove the latches/handle before a trip through the blast cabinet and paint.

Reactions: KLF
Last edited:
Got the baby toolbox finished. Before/After:

20210214_181349.jpg
20210225_101401.jpg

Trip through the blast cabinet, some rust converter (on the case), and Rustoleum paint (hammer tone gray/sunset red). Came out decent. Unfortunately, the actual latches and handle hardware, couldn't be removed without some creative ways to re-attach them (they are factory riveted). So they were a real challenge to mask off. Which I did twice: once before blasting, the other before paint. And the very thin chrome is gone. So I'll have to treat them to some sort of wax or protectant to prevent future rust from forming.

For comparison, here's a pic next to it's bigger 2 drawer brother:

20210225_103347.jpg

I ran out of drawer liner to finish it, but I did get the two drawers done:

20210225_101611.jpg

I've got another 24' roll coming in a couple of days, so that'll take care of the top area and the tool tray. And will easily be enough to line the 10/9 drawer combo I have 'waiting in the wings'.

I don't see many of these small 2 drawer boxes for sale. This is a 1970 manufacture, so it's 'period correct' for my collection. I'm trying my darnedest to buy a 6 drawer top, hopefully I can get one by this weekend.

@Hack been working on dust control for my impending woodworking projects. I have my big Jet collector for the tools, but wanted some sort of trap to catch the airborne dust that slips past the ports, etc. I passed up on a chance to buy a Powermatic PM1250 filter ($400 used), and made this instead, total $60 invested.

PXL_20210220_163252377.jpg

Four MERV-13 20x20x2 filters and a Lasko fan, lots of foil tape. Used it while sanding some drywall in my porch project, and it seemed to really help. I'll park it in the garage anytime I'm using the table saw, planer, or sanders, just trying to keep the finest dust down. I also always wear a respirator.

@Hack been working on dust control for my impending woodworking projects. I have my big Jet collector for the tools, but wanted some sort of trap to catch the airborne dust that slips past the ports, etc. I passed up on a chance to buy a Powermatic PM1250 filter ($400 used), and made this instead, total $60 invested.
I like it! Saw something similar to that in a YouTube 'how to' video a while back. That was a lot of money for a used Powermatic filter. They list for $450 new. I paid $350 for my PowerTec new and free shipping.

Went over to my son's place today to give him a hand with his 'mega roller' project. We got the 3x3x1/4 steel tube all cut, welded, and some gussets installed:

IMG_20210227_154723259.jpg

The tongue + frame easily weighs around 300 pounds. We need to add the same gussets to the bottom of the frame to tongue, and rear frame that we did on the top.

Spring is coming, and we need to get this done by the end of next month....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom