Project Topless (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
those of you with toples pigs. how is the dust? i have always thought of chopping the top off and i think i'm ready to do it but i want to know about dust while jamming down dirt rds and such.

Oh YES! I can't wait to see it! I'd fab up a removable top if I had the guts.... maybe when it isn't my daily driver... I"d love to take the top off in the summer. I think topless pigs look freekin great! ( and you don't need that dang back window any more.)

image-1686729185.jpg

image-2203920838.jpg

Looked at this yesterday. A less than acceptable find, but thought a pic might be warranted. I pissed away a couple of hours chasing those I just posted. Not in vain, now, I don't think. Haha.
image-1686729185.jpg
image-2203920838.jpg

I am 93% sure I'm going to chop the top off of "Bucket" and make it so we can replace it in the winter. I had a friend who had a 75 Hilux that we did that to and it came out awesome.

carl026.jpg

Don't know about dust though, it was a 2x4 so it didn't see a lot of dirt. I imagine it's about the same as a 40 or a heep or anything else without a top.

well i have always wanted to make it a cab and flatbed ute type thing, kinda like a 70 series but this wont be a thread on how to cut the top as i want to remove the whole thing leaving only the windshield.

with the length of the rig i wonder about dust being different than a short WB 40, i choped the top off one of my hiluxes back in the day and dust wasnt a problem so,,,, i am pretty amped about chopping it so i will prolly do it regardless.

i've hardly driven it in the last couple years and as such its no longer a family camping rig and is 100% toy. i have some ideas to do it like something mad max or crocodile dundee inspired, not tube buggy rock crawler. i dont need to make the top replacable since i have top off weather in AZ most of the year.

i know i want to cut the whole top off leaving only the windshield, prolly weld the rear doors and smooth the seams in such a way to use sections of them to lengthen the front doors about 6". i have also wanted to move the rear axle back to relive overhang instead of the nip/tuck thing so this might be a good time. then a simple tube cage, removable swivel chair on top of the cage for hangin around camp, ect. some odd ideas in my head.

Last edited:
PabloCruise said:
Wow! Who knew all these Pigs wanted to go topless!

I think you better give your windshield (and A pillars) some support, from the roof or other, so it doesn't flop around at highway speed and break the glass.

I think it's best to keep it like a 4runner/bronco/blazer and keep the roof to the b pillar. That's what I did on the war pig after it flopped.

Dust at highway speeds was not a problem as I was in the tow rig.

You have to spend the cash and get a good top made. Use thick weatherstripping where the top hits the body except along the front where the track is that it slides into like a bikini......I've had one for 20 years.....love it.!!!!

Doubt you would want to copy this design by any means but here's a sort of chopped top. My girlfriend's in Honduras on vacation and sent me this pic a few days. More impressed that she identified a pig, but here's a crude open rear chop:
image-3764589410.jpg

i dont need ideas for what to do, the whole top is already off. but posting pics of chopped top pigs is fine by me.

lemme take a current pic, but i posted one a couple days ago in "what did you do to your pig today"

i dont need ideas for what to do, the whole top is already off. but posting pics of chopped top pigs is fine by me.

Say it isn't so! How am I supposed to dream about your pig now?
Oh, well...

Congrats though!

hey robb, there wasnt too much dreaming going on i hope, much nicer pigs out there to dream about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom