Builds Project Snowball ❄️ 85 FJ60 Cummins 4BT/ HX-30 SUPER/ NV4500/ SOA (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think you'll find 35 and 4.11 will rev your engine too much at highway speed.
The chart I saw shows I should be good but may change after I get this cruiser up and running.

79556520-D3A9-4D86-955A-E4815E61D946.png

The chart I saw shows I should be good but may change after I get this cruiser up and running.

View attachment 1681684

Like the previous post says, you’ll find that if you want to do freeway speeds you’ll learn real quick that a 4BT really like to be under 2K RPM, it is a different driving philosophy than anything else Toyota or even a 6BT. I sit at about 1850 at 70, and I can cruiser comfortably all day. For me it also makes it easy for me to drop it in 4th to build some boost, but my 5th gear sucks compared to yours. The truck had 35” BFGs on it when I got it (they run small) and was a complete turd except in Low range, couldn’t even wind it up to build any boost until 3rd gear, and in 5th it ran out of legs. Right now I have all 5 gears functional on the street and it drives nicely. You have a 1st gear like I do, and on 35s it was pretty much useless. Grab yourself a fuel pin and governor spring and install that stuff now before buttoning the truck up, you’ll be happy you did.

Like the previous post says, you’ll find that if you want to do freeway speeds you’ll learn real quick that a 4BT really like to be under 2K RPM, it is a different driving philosophy than anything else Toyota or even a 6BT. I sit at about 1850 at 70, and I can cruiser comfortably all day. For me it also makes it easy for me to drop it in 4th to build some boost, but my 5th gear sucks compared to yours. The truck had 35” BFGs on it when I got it (they run small) and was a complete turd except in Low range, couldn’t even wind it up to build any boost until 3rd gear, and in 5th it ran out of legs. Right now I have all 5 gears functional on the street and it drives nicely. You have a 1st gear like I do, and on 35s it was pretty much useless. Grab yourself a fuel pin and governor spring and install that stuff now before buttoning the truck up, you’ll be happy you did.
My 6 speed dodge 3500 dually first gear is useless unless I’m carrying a load too.

Got radiator hoses on. Oil sending line to turbo and return line. The Champion Radiator fitting that connects the expansion tank to the radiator cap was loose by hand. Loosened it and it got tight. Used wrench and it turned a full turn or so and got tighter. It was almost off so gave it a little more torque and the the thread broke inside the hole. :bang:
Tried an easy out but with aluminum it just stripped. Hmmmm. Ended drilling it out. At work we have 1/8” snifter valves. Drilled the hole bigger and tapped hole. Was able to thread the 1/8” snifter into it and removed the spring. :)

B09BD0D8-1A23-494F-B351-23F24E83725B.jpeg

F15816D4-97CE-448F-8D97-ECC596271FCA.jpeg

9F161C04-6899-4BFE-96D2-AA1AECE03114.jpeg

8603016E-E1CD-4F6B-9F7D-ADCFE19580B6.jpeg

07D9D325-A68E-4CF9-8554-8D434C435C17.jpeg

Just finished watching @orangefj45 transfer case rebuild on YouTube. Really well done step by step. Should be able to get it back together a lot easier with the tutorial. Tore it down so fast when the 4 speed tranny buyer came. Luckily I didn’t loose the detent ball and spring.
Found them in the tranny stuff and Jeremy and I scratched out heads where they came from... now we know. Thanks George.

Busy weekend as I was on call for work and had 2 emergency pump pulls. However the TCase is installed. Got to the 4WD linkage and the AA backet for the pivot mount doesn’t line up right where it needs to be. Mocked up another bracket from some metal to place about a half inch forward and about a half inch lower. The 5 speed shifter is great. Now that the engine and transmission are aligned it’s time for the transmission cross member. Took the factory crossmember and angle grinder to the middle portion removing a lot of it. Will need to weld in some flat metal to give it the strength back. As for now it’s just mocking up the factory to see how well it’ll work. I wished I would have taken pictures but my son was playing Pokémon Go on my phone on the tailgate of the cruiser. He’s almost 7 and slowly learning about vehicles. My dad wasn’t a motor head on vehicles but on water well pumps. I enjoy learning more about vehicles. One day I hope to pass this cruiser on to him.

Stock crossmember was custom fabricated and installed. Engine, transmission and transfer case are resting on the frame. The crossmember will get removed now that it works and get painted. Fuel lines connected. Injector lines cleaned up and painted and installed. The 5 speed shifter lines up exactly in the factory location. The 4WD linkage still needs some more modifications as I mentioned above. But it’s getting closer to starting.

847F86B0-7597-459F-9B13-FBDAC87A7A72.jpeg

8FC7BE17-5288-4DC9-A056-604BACF54592.jpeg

7D237ACC-7197-427A-89D7-55AC4F7126FE.jpeg

1E0BBBA0-5807-4588-B370-C4A41C17C127.jpeg

8D3FFA18-898E-478A-BFD3-E5FA25DCF2E0.jpeg

I see it’s been a month since my last post. Works load is insane, which is a good thing to help pay for the swap. My dads wedding is in less than a month now and he wanted my project outta his barn for the wedding. Thought my project was cluttering up the place. o_OGood timing as wiring has begun... not fun. Loaded the cruiser and hauled it to my buddy Jeremy’s. There are a lot of circuits that will no longer be needed. Jeremy knows a guy who is going to do the rest of the wiring. Found a few burned wires. @boots4 has been helpful but @ this point we figure it’s better to have another hand in on the wiring fun. Getting closer, one week at a time. Instead of a nice pole barn it now sits under a dining canopy.

D06DF7E3-7F2C-43FB-8AC1-B907717D5BE2.jpeg

EA867534-3BAA-44BE-A508-60AD67E2F122.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom