Builds Project Snowball ❄️ 85 FJ60 Cummins 4BT/ HX-30 SUPER/ NV4500/ SOA (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

With the FJ80 rear axle and the FJ60 front axle, what size wheel spacers are you running up front. What brands, Spidertrax?

I have the 1.5 inch spidertrax. The front tires look equal in width to the rear ones.

Today was installation day of the rear Chevy 63 springs and the FJ80s axle. These welding magnets I picked up for work are great.
7F815462-CEAB-423B-AD21-DF46F65EEC98.jpeg

Working on the rear shackle angle.
E8EF27AD-037F-449C-80B7-D655E0394CDA.jpeg

Finally getting the axle under the 60.
A2E8064F-8624-44A9-AD3B-BA324ACD38C4.jpeg

It was a great day working along side Mike. I do enjoy learning this custom fabrication. What would I rather be doing... :hmm:
E5B5F9AA-63DD-408D-AEB1-08F274A89C78.png

My buddy Logan who’s head of operations at Timberline Ski Area sent me this shot this morning. Just shy of 24” of snow in 2 days. Looks like more on the way this week.

All caught up and this is looking awesome. You made that cut and turn look effortless!

Regarding your rear disc rotors, no need to get fancy. The stock ones from Toyota work great.

Had the Vader family out to my dads to get Christmas Trees today.
064939DD-92E2-4888-9543-F0440BAA3166.jpeg

My buddy Bryan saw @Kief on Thanksgiving at Eagle Fern Camp for their family dinner.
After getting a tree Bryan helped me get the freshly painted 80s axle under the 60 and into place for the u-bolts.
5F338CA0-81BC-4F16-BB0B-4F39C6DC0DD6.jpeg

Thanks Vader
1F803613-34AF-48B3-932B-DB05C6ABCD7E.jpeg
A3377BA7-CD5A-4C73-999C-D81ABDECD3F3.jpeg

We talked about swinging by! I think we were close by... Those 80 series axles are sweet! If you get bored, post a pic of your motor blow by- loosen up the cap and see if it bobbles or just sits there. My 6bt's just sits there but the 4bt's bobbles.. I need to set up a manometer. I use some oil but not a lot. I think I may have some scoring after losing the head gasket last year.

We talked about swinging by! I think we were close by... Those 80 series axles are sweet! If you get bored, post a pic of your motor blow by- loosen up the cap and see if it bobbles or just sits there. My 6bt's just sits there but the 4bt's bobbles.. I need to set up a manometer. I use some oil but not a lot. I think I may have some scoring after losing the head gasket last year.
I really would have liked to meet up. Hopefully next time. I’m looking at getting property in Chemult, Oregon when this is done and build a mountain cabin in the woods. That’ll be perfect place to meet. Where you at in S. Oregon?

With Vader’s mom in Chiloquin it’s be perfect. He knows I’ve been itching for a mountain retreat to build for years. There’s miles of trails in Klamath County to explore and Crater Lake.

Mike @boots4 and I have looked at his and mine. I’d be lost without him. Now that I’m doing this with knowledge and know how I’m learning and doing a lot. Never knew I’d become a grease monkey... my dad never was:crybaby:

It's been a pleasure working with you so far young grasshopper. Still can't believe you run eveywhere when getting tools or parts, but you do and it keeps you in shape. It was nice to see you finally get a little tired last Saturday, helped me from feeling older.

As for the antiwrap bar we have discussed it and will most likely plan to set one up after it's back on the road, whether it's a kit or build our own. The chevy 63s are pretty good at controlling movement but this is a torquey 4BT with a manual so it could become necessary.

For those tech junkies the transfer case flange is just about at 90 degrees. We will be redoing the tranny crossmember to get better vibration isolation and aim to keep that flange at about 90. To give us a little wiggle room to adjust ride height when we get it on the ground to see where the rear height ends up in relation to the front, we placed the rear axle flange at just up 2 degrees. We'll be reusing his current rear driveshaft that was already lengthened and is just a 2 joint shaft. This will allow us to drop to the shorter hole we made on the shackles or even recess the frame mount into the frame if needed and still have acceptable angle on the axle flange.

Last edited:
First of our mid week after work evenings on the 60 with @boots4. Widened the cut on the front axle from the cut and turn to prepare for the reweld.
982125B1-D935-4120-86A4-FD65FDE05823.jpeg

Welded up the axle while slowly rotating in pipe vice.
FFF8F05D-3FEA-40A0-8610-14E1B0A527C2.jpeg

Welded on 4 tabs to the rear 63 perch to prevent rocking action of the spring overload.
6D7BAAEF-5713-4D2F-AE91-4F5EFCC372DC.jpeg

While welding a piece of slag fell on concrete floor and knelt on it while welding. Smelled burning and it burned right rhrough my Carharts into my leg. Owe well another battle wound.
A0BBDDAF-A24C-4901-B4F6-128C79F5E5AC.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom