Builds Project Everyday.... 10/72 FJ40 the descent into madness..... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking to see if the forums could push me in the right direction for information on axle identification.

I was able to find what I believe to be a 40 axle with front disc brakes on it.

axle 2.jpg

axle 3.jpg

axle 4.jpg

axle 4.jpg

Got some progress done on the transmission.. and like all good projects ran into a head scratcher......

Input and cluster cleaned up.

input and idler.jpg

output given the same love

output.jpg

On the output there seems to be some slack when joining to the input. My gut tells me that I don't have the bearing on far enough, however, I don't seem to be able to drive it any further down the race of the output shaft.

When I put the clips on both of the bearings (input and output) I can still pull the output shaft about 1/8 of an inch out (clip removed for better picture).

Welcoming any advice at this point....

now the head scratcher .....
trouble.jpg

Won't the bearing retainer push the input against the case? I think the snap ring needs to be installed.

Won't the bearing retainer push the input against the case? I think the snap ring needs to be installed.
Yes, but at that point it looks like first gear and the thrust washer that sits between First and the transmission housing are too far from housing.

As in the thrust washer is useless at this point.

Do they normally run “loose” inside?

@pb4ugo went back through the input and found that I had a bearing not seated all the way against the shoulder of the shaft. It’s good to go.
0CF205FF-117B-47D5-884B-4A28A44865F6.jpeg

Any recommendations on gear oil?

Also, if you have a chance to buy these they are worth it.
9F83689B-8D55-4974-8AED-164BB96D0ADF.jpeg

My understanding because it has yellow parts in it, gl4 is recommended. It can be hard to find, but I was at my local O'Reillys this am and they had it on the shelf.

My understanding because it has yellow parts in it, gl4 is recommended. It can be hard to find, but I was at my local O'Reillys this am and they had it on the shelf.
Appreciated. I went on a 2 hour goose chase through all the oil threads on the web and ended up with nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom