Builds Project Everyday.... 10/72 FJ40 the descent into madness..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Allright, got the oil pressure sending unit off. the 1/8th BSPT adapter worked like a charm
1693151514432.png

Warm at idle she the pump is throwing around 40psi
1693151554723.png

It was hard to capture with the phone, tachometer, and the guage but at 2500 the pump is throwing over 50psi.

1693151640778.png

I did it a number of times without the camera and got about the same 55ish +/- psi at 2500.

Tuesday will be a parts run with @Deebo to grab that 4speed / Tcase /and SBC bellhousing.

Parts Run ! Smooth sailing right now hopefully that transmission is worth it.

3A07EC2C-ADB4-467B-B945-C398B28FEB0A.png

Parts acquired. Guy added in a 60 series transmission don’t know if it is a 4 or 5 speed
1F83578C-1093-4283-A9B4-A15946247316.jpeg
426DDA57-0F10-43F3-A408-3E8B2F43069C.jpeg

After getting hit in the head by the back hatch.. I have opted to replace the old spring struts for gas ones.
swap.jpg

8 bolts total and i never have to worry about getting cold-cocked again some call it the " Cruiser Kiss".
strut.jpg

Also hung this guy on the wall for some shop art. It was given to me but the guy I got the transmission from.

score.jpg

Next on the To Do list is build a rolling table for the Transmission and T-case to sit on so I can work on them at a decent height.

Last edited:
that's a 60 series H42, almost certainly removed for an H55f. They're worth $50 at the most

that's a 60 series H42, almost certainly removed for an H55f. They're worth $50 at the most

Thanks for the ID! it was free so I have no issues passing it along to whoever needs it. Just wanted to save it from the scrap pile

Actually the shifter top cover of the 60 tranny is desirable to folks who have done or will do an sbc conversion. The shift tower is further back on the tranny than the 40's. On SBC conversions the driveline is moved forward about 3 to 4" and the tranny hump needs to be cut for the stk 40's 4 speed shifter, which in turn makes it closer and slightly interferes with the frt heater. The 60 cover aligns more with the 40's stk tranny hump hole. You should probably add that to the SBC conversion kit to make it a more desirable.

Last edited:
Question? Vacuum Advance or Vacuum Retard?

dizzy 1.jpg

dizzy 2.jpg

Got the Tcase seperated from the transmission today.
transtcase.jpg

Once separated we focused more on the transmission first bit of rust on the gears but not horrible.

gears.jpg

I did want to get the forum's thoughts on the tail shaft (output shaft?) splines .. doesn't seem to be in the best of shape.

Anyone know if that part is still available?

output shaft.jpg

We have the rebuild kits, synchro rings, main shafts and other items on hand.

Happy to help!

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers
Shop 209-475-8808
Sales@valleyhybrids.com

Alright H42 is fully disassembled after reading previous thread the reverse gear will stay in the housing.
02BC7A2F-3A69-4615-B278-642A31F63A87.jpeg

D896EEB1-3C87-4373-B3C5-3B70F950AF1C.jpeg

I think the output shaft is nla. As for condition @65swb45 would know. How's the one in the fj60 trans? Same spline?

I think the output shaft is nla. As for condition @65swb45 would know. How's the one in the fj60 trans? Same spline?
I will check and see the condition of the fj60 is in decent shape. Anyone know if they the same shaft?

I will check and see the condition of the fj60 is in decent shape. Anyone know if they the same shaft?
60 shafts are 19 spline. 40 shafts are 16.
Tailshafts are not offered through Toyota any more, but all the major vendors, myself included, carry the shaft from the OE manufacturer, who continues to produce them.

Thanks for the mention @pb4ugo 😊

www.marksoffroad.net

Last edited:

8/80 the spline count changed from sixteen to nineteen. This would be for the split transfer case. Georg may have an aftermarket output shaft available. Search of the part number online brings up Cruiser Bothers.

60 shafts are 19 spline. 40 shafts are 16.
Tailshafts are not offered through Toyota any more, but all the major vendors, myself included, carry the shaft from the OE manufacturer, who continues to produce them.

Thanks for the mention @pb4ugo 😊

Now if the original manufacturer could make a H42 counter shaft with the H55F extension for the fifth gear that would made a sweet transmission. Add the aftermarket lower split case gears would have the best of street and trail gearing.

Thanks guys for all the help so far. Went ahead and got a silver star this place has saved me way more than the $20 !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom