New Project Loaded: 1967 FJ40. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm finally at a point to start this project. Picked up a 67 FJ40 about 4 years ago. Got it for a good price and the seller even delivered it.

Screenshot_20220128-085009_OfferUp.jpg

The pic on Offer Up.

So after it sat in my driveway for a couple years, then had to "hide" it while we listed the house, then had it transported to Apache Junction, then it sat another year. My next door neighbor owns an earth moving construction company so he helped me move it into the garage with his skid-steer. As it sits now:

1000006347 resized.jpg

Oh and it does run. I went through the "before start checklist" (Marvel Mystery Oil etc) and squirted some gas in the carb and it fired up.

It's a 2F, engine code says it's a 78. Unfortunately it has a 3-speed.

Whoever had this decided to do several projects at once. It's spring-over in the rear, spring-under in the front (with a 60 series axle), and they also did a front shackle reversal (well, 3/4 of it, anyway). No brakes are hooked up. Spare parts boxes netted some interesting bits, like most of the OEM suspension parts, a boosted brake master cylinder adapter, brake shoes, u-joints, etc.

1000006346 resized.jpg
1000006348 resized.jpg
1000006349 resized.jpg
1000006350 resized.jpg

Last edited:
Since I know it runs, I may sort the suspension first. My intent is to return it to stock or maybe 1-2" lift.

The plan is to get the cooling system reinstalled on the engine and
New radiator
New gas tank
Sort the brakes (convert to power dual-circuit)
Seats
Not worried about power steering for now
OEM style soft top
Stock suspension
I'm sure I'll have to fix all the helpful wiring upgrades that have been done over the years

I'm excited to have a '40 project again!

Not saying they are not 60 axles but normally you need to outboard the springs because the perches are wider . Yours does not look that way . Looks like a fun project

Not saying they are not 60 axles but normally you need to outboard the springs because the perches are wider . Yours does not look that way . Looks like a fun project
You could be right. I dunno. They have those brake cooling vent thingies. Great something else to add to the list. :bang:

You could be right. I dunno. They have those brake cooling vent thingies. Great something else to add to the list. :bang:
You most likely have 60 series outers ( the knuckles and brakes ) this a good .

The pics of the frt suspension should be added to the "Wall of shame" thread. It looks like they didn't even install/adapt spring perches between the axle and spring on the frt axle. The fronts rear shackle is useless and the drag link is sketchy at best.

The pics of the frt suspension should be added to the "Wall of shame" thread. It looks like they didn't even install/adapt spring perches between the axle and spring on the frt axle. The fronts rear shackle is useless and the drag link is sketchy at best.
You missed the driver's side spring hanger that's not even attached to the frame. It's a peach of a swap.

You missed the driver's side spring hanger that's not even attached to the frame. It's a peach of a swap.

looks like there may be a 1/2" booger weld on the top edge

Some updates. Got the passenger seat and gas tank out. It's got a few gallons of an incredibly foul smelling dark brownish fluid.

At least the gas tank area isn't rusty.
20231124_165047.jpg

I haven't worked on a '40 for quite a while, it's all been about 4Runners and early trucks, so I didn't know about the 2 different water pumps. It was all together until I tried to mock fit the radiator. Of course the fan hit it. So... pulled all of it apart, ordered a new water pump and some other goodies.

Until those parts arrive, doing more work on other things. I have 2 shackle hangers that were removed when the SR was "installed" but only 1 spring hanger. I'm not a welder, don't have one, so gonna have to enlist help from someone else.

Question: Reuse the old parts or get new ones? If new, from where?

20231124_123204.jpg

I haven't worked on a '40 for quite a while, it's all been about 4Runners and early trucks, so I didn't know about the 2 different water pumps. It was all together until I tried to mock fit the radiator. Of course the fan hit it. So... pulled all of it apart, ordered a new water pump and some other goodies.

Until those parts arrive, doing more work on other things. I have 2 shackle hangers that were removed when the SR was "installed" but only 1 spring hanger. I'm not a welder, don't have one, so gonna have to enlist help from someone else.

Question: Reuse the old parts or get new ones? If new, from where?

View attachment 3494746

if re-using the old hangers and the holes are still in the frame, you can bolt them in place versus welding.

if re-using the old hangers and the holes are still in the frame, you can bolt them in place versus welding.

Well I guess those shackle conversion hanger things are bolted on so why not. They just look kinda rough. I'll have to drill out the hanger side of the rivet but that's no big deal.

Then I found this

The other side looks like it's worse. I needed to pull the rollbar anyway, so another thing to add to the whiteboard.

20231129_191051.jpg

So after it sat in my driveway for a couple years, then had to "hide" it while we listed the house, then had it transported to Apache Junction, then it sat another year. My next door neighbor owns an earth moving construction company so he helped me move it into the garage with his skid-steer. As it sits now:

View attachment 3488629

Oh and it does run. I went through the "before start checklist" (Marvel Mystery Oil etc) and squirted some gas in the carb and it fired up.

It's a 2F, engine code says it's a 78. Unfortunately it has a 3-speed.

Whoever had this decided to do several projects at once. It's spring-over in the rear, spring-under in the front (with a 60 series axle), and they also did a front shackle reversal (well, 3/4 of it, anyway). No brakes are hooked up. Spare parts boxes netted some interesting bits, like most of the OEM suspension parts, a boosted brake master cylinder adapter, brake shoes, u-joints, etc.

View attachment 3488634View attachment 3488635View attachment 3488636View attachment 3488637
Holy pinion angle!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom