Builds Project Everyday.... 10/72 FJ40 the descent into madness..... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I assume you mean the stock F motor ?

I will be testing the oil pressure tomorrow. if that passes muster, I will try to keep it as I don't think I can afford a repower at the moment.

Unless there is something horribly wrong with that idea that I am unaware of.

EDIT: What @Deebo said.

I assume you mean the stock F motor ?

I will be testing the oil pressure tomorrow. if that passes muster, I will try to keep it as I don't think I can afford a repower at the moment.

Unless there is something horribly wrong with that idea that I am unaware of.

EDIT: What @Deebo said.
Yes, I don't think it matters much which Toyota 6. F, 2F, it just needs to accept the 4 speed. Hopefully other folks can cinfirm. 4 speed trans uses different length driveshafts than the 3 speed and the drive shaft flanges are different too. I'm pretty sure pinion flanges can be purchase new for coarse spline pinions.

Yes, I don't think it matters much which Toyota 6. F, 2F, it just needs to accept the 4 speed. Hopefully other folks can cinfirm. 4 speed trans uses different length driveshafts than the 3 speed and the drive shaft flanges are different too. I'm pretty sure pinion flanges can be purchase new for coarse spline pinions.
Noted. Trying to source parts first then once I have it all the fun begins.

I'm not sure where Georgetown. TX is from you and I have no affiliation.

I'm not sure where Georgetown. TX is from you and I have no affiliation.

It’s not that far. Condition of that one drive shaft is a bit worrisome but I assume I could re build it

I think the 4 speed and the h55 5 speed fit the same b/h. Others can confirm.

H55F has the same bolt pattern as the H41/H42. Difference is 10/85+ the bearing retainer has two oil channels on the front. Requires a little grinding for clearance. The bellhousing housing that already has the clearance will be a 3F that rotates the transmission. 8/80+ bellhousing no longer are tapped for motor mounts and used a crossmember under the transmission. Unless you your planning on using that crossmember you want to get a four speed bellhousingl from before 8/80. Also the flange pattern on the transfer case and diffs is different between three and four speed. Just something to keep in mind when buying parts

It’s not that far. Condition of that one drive shaft is a bit worrisome but I assume I could re build it

I would expect a 40+ yr old d/s look like the long rusty one. It looks like it has old grease caked around the yokes. I question why the one is painted. Maybe someone can chime in on how long the tubes are supposed to be. It seems short to me, but i could be wrong. Be sure to check the slip joints spline, and good u joints are a plus. The knuckles and arms are interesting, but they seems expensive. You don’t need the fj60 housing, its 3" wider than an FJ40. He's missing a bunch of hardware and parts, like cone washers, nuts, spindles, lockouts, calipers for cores and hubs. The caliper ears need to have good threads. Of course, I don't see birfs either. FJ60 knuckles are the later larger pattern style with larger studs.

I would expect a 40+ yr old d/s look like the long rusty one. It looks like it has old grease caked around the yokes. I question why the one is painted. Maybe someone can chime in on how long the tubes are supposed to be. It seems short to me, but i could be wrong. Be sure to check the slip joints spline, and good u joints are a plus. The knuckles and arms are interesting, but they seems expensive. You don’t need the fj60 housing, its 3" wider than an FJ40. He's missing a bunch of hardware and parts, like cone washers, nuts, spindles, lockouts, calipers for cores and hubs. The caliper ears need to have good threads. Of course, I don't see birfs either. FJ60 knuckles are the later larger pattern style with larger studs.
Thanks. I am keeping my eyes peeled for them. There is a driveshaft specialty shop near where I live so I might pop in there and see what they can do.

Anyone have any tips or tricks to get the oil pressure sending unit off the block?

Mine seems to be stuck and I don't want to wrench on it with a pair of channel locks.

I feel like one of these is in my future....

1692798982008.png

you should go buy those diffs and front axle from Georgetown, that's a great deal for your disc conversions parts and 3.70's. If the driveshafts work then bonus.

Anyone have any tips or tricks to get the oil pressure sending unit off the block?

Mine seems to be stuck and I don't want to wrench on it with a pair of channel locks.

I feel like one of these is in my future....

View attachment 3408951

Are you talking about the oil pressure sending unit on the side of the block or the coolant temperature sending unit on top of the cylinders head?

Are you talking about the oil pressure sending unit on the side of the block or the coolant temperature sending unit on top of the cylinders head?

@Living in the Past it is the oil sending unit on the side of block. trying to get a pressure reading to see if my oil pump is good.

Driver's side towards the back. Oil pressure regulator is just in front of it. Cylinder with an adjustment nut on one end and oil line going to the remote oil filter bolted to the intake manifold.

This is on a 75 2F with a different oiling system but oil sending unit is in the same spot. It's the cylinder with the wire heading to the firewall.
PXL_20230823_172818165.jpg

Will only take an open end wrench. If it is real tight I have clamped a visegrip from the open side. I tighten the visegrip down real hard. Never used it on this but using a flare wrench on brake lines I've prevented rounding the nut. Last time was at wrecking yard to pull the brake lines for an 84 troopy. Managed to brake every line use. Easy way to update my 65 FJ45 brake lines.

Let's see some content! Can't let threads get stale!
FYI: Once you get the oil pressure sending unit off.... I believe that the threads are 1/8" BSPT (British Standard Pipe Thread). Adapters are available to go from BSPT to NPT

Toyota to Aftermarket Oil Pressure Gauge Adapter

1/8" National Pipe Thread to 1/8" British Standard Pipe (Found on most Toyota's)

This adapter threads into Toyota blocks that have a 1/8"-28 BSP thread for oil pressure sending units. If you are installing an aftermarket oil pressure gauge that has a 1/8" NPT thread into a Toyota engine block you need this adapter. The thread are very close but not the same, trying to screw an aftermarket gauge into your block will do damage or leak.

Let's see some content! Can't let threads get stale!
It’s 103 in the garage… I promise something tomorrow morning

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom