Pretty quiet in here... what are you working on? (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm thankful that the winch is mounted very solidly on my 40. It's a great strong 8274 on a bumper that looks to be a commercial item. The day that Crusha lost the control arms in his 80 at a very bad spot on a black AAOA trail gave my winch the hardest test I've put it through. I was setup facing downhill hooked to the back end of Crusha's 80 trying to turn the entire rig around to get it pointed in the right direction to get off the trail. The winch was pulling so hard it dragged my 40 downhill into a tree (bending the CCOT front fender pretty good in the process). Winch never skipped a beat and the straps and connectors we used held up fine. Bumper still looks unscathed. It's amazing the amount of work a properly mounted winch in good shape will do.

76 FJ40 Nov 2015.JPG

So they decided to mount a planetary winch on that bumper? Looks like a HFS bumper they added the 90 degree mount
It appears that the "plate" the winch is mounted on is not a plate at all. It looks like it is cut out under that winch, as evidenced by being able to see a triangle of light under the winch.
It could be made to mount properly with a planetary winch, except whoever mounted this failed to read the instructions.

@1MOA I'm not sure but it looks like maybe the mounting plate was welded to the bumper upside down? From the one image showing the backside of the bumper, it looks as if there is an opening for a fairlead or roller assembly that could be mounted if the opening was positioned above the bumper rather than into the back of it? No expert, but my thoughts (see doctored image below):

View attachment 2234559

Poorly photoshopped example of flipping the assembly upside-down:
View attachment 2234587
The bumper plate is welded properly for an 8274 winch (as @TRFCSUX pointed out) to route the cable through the slot in the bumper, which is likely covered up by the license plate. that plate the winch is mounted on is likely an adapter plate to mount planetary winches to the bumper. It was just executed incorrectly in this case.

Might be able to mount a "feet forward" planetary (M10k+) to that bumper as is (no bracket). I know the 9.5k Warns are feet down but can they also be mounted feet forward as well? Regardless, the 8274 just looks right on a 40. Does the 8274 bolt down as well as forward? If so then that plate could just be flipped and the horizontal is just there to support then winch until it's bolted forward. The M12k on my 80 is only feet forward and a PITA to mount/unmount.

BTW, at first I thought this was @1MOA 's truck and wondered how that hackneyed setup got through Ryan's shop.

Might be able to mount a "feet forward" planetary (M10k+) to that bumper as is (no bracket). I know the 9.5k Warns are feet down but can they also be mounted feet forward as well? Regardless, the 8274 just looks right on a 40. Does the 8274 bolt down as well as forward? If so then that plate could just be flipped and the horizontal is just there to support then winch until it's bolted forward. The M12k on my 80 is only feet forward and a PITA to mount/unmount.

BTW, at first I thought this was @1MOA 's truck and wondered how that hackneyed setup got through Ryan's shop.
That's a local Warrenton guys truck. His son drives it all the time.( Those pics were taken at Fauquier High School) It is a LS1 swap and has a Aqualu tub. That truck is far too uniform in color to be mine.

That's a local Warrenton guys truck. His son drives it all the time.( Those pics were taken at Fauquier High School) It is a LS1 swap and has a Aqualu tub. That truck is far too uniform in color to be mine.
I’ve been wondering about that truck. Seen it sitting in the same parking lot forever

8274's cannot be bolted "down"

Not sure if anyone is in the market but sandblast america has some powder coat colors that are pretty damn close to factory Toyota colors as far as the blues. I looked and they also have a ivory white that is spot on for theCygnus white as well

1AB17E19-CEFB-4A0F-89E4-EF3AAC3B75FE.jpeg

Not sure if anyone is in the market but sandblast america has some powder coat colors that are pretty damn close to factory Toyota colors as far as the blues. I looked and they also have a ivory white that is spot on for theCygnus white as well

View attachment 2235143
That Capri blue looks an awful like Toyota 857 blue...

The beast is free! Didn’t get too bad of an antifreeze shower considering it was the first one I’ve done.

I was right— the PO put in a CSF radiator (only marking was on the bottom). Now to wait for all the water pump stuff and take the radiator to be tested. It was working great but has a very tiny weep at the top seem.

anyone know a good rad shop? All the ones mentioned in the services thread are closed or 1.5 hours from me.

also, anyone near DC with an angle grinder I could borrow? I want to cut the fan shroud in half for easier serviceability in the future.

3B6F7F9B-088D-4E80-B495-9E73C1C01D95.jpeg
8B47FEC8-D2AD-483B-AD6F-B97400550EE9.jpeg
D892AEAF-CCD1-4E9B-955F-2D314013071C.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom