Press-on crankshaft pulley seal replacement - Winter is coming. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jvincig01

SILVER Star
Threads
I have been dreading replacing this seal for a while, so I will tackle this project in the winter and document it. I have had difficulty finding clear instructions on replacing this seal while the engine is in the vehicle. I understand I need to remove the radiator, bib, etc., so I have room to work.

Although I have a '67, my engine is out of another vehicle (I think '68), and the engine is an F145 with a press-on pulley.

I remember having difficulty pressing the pulley on about ten years ago when I replaced all the seals. At that time, the engine was out of the vehicle.

Does anyone know of a thread that walks through instructions while the engine is IN the vehicle? Or have any advice on how to tackle this?

I have seen some threads where guys say they use a steel pipe and a hammer to drive the press on pulley in place.

Even when I remove the radiator, bib, etc, to make room, the frame seems to still be in the way, preventing me from having a nice horizontal/direct angle dead blow hammer it.

Am I overthinking this? @65swb45 any recommendations? I remember seeing a post about how you accomplished doing this correctly (and hopefully easily). :beer:

IMG_4989 2.JPG

with everything off and out of the way,
could you take off/loosen the 2 front motor mounts and lift the front of the engine high enough to get a straight shot at the crank pulley?

^^^ This would be my approach ^^^

I would also look at using an air hammer of some sort if possible.

with everything off and out of the way,
could you take off/loosen the 2 front motor mounts and lift the front of the engine high enough to get a straight shot at the crank pulley?
Good call. I can try doing that. Fortunately, I don't think I need to angle it too high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom