Preserving Patina - How To Tips and Tricks (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Getting there…

IMG_8273.jpeg

IMG_8280.jpeg

IMG_8281.jpeg

A new product I have found recently. Bowdens Three Way (iron decontamination product) works amazing for removing rust runs / stains. Spray on, wait for it to turn purple, light scrub with a green scotch brite, then rinse off. So easy and fast.

3 way Before.jpg

3 way During.jpg

3 way After.jpg

Trying to make a game plan for this frame under my Old Blue Build…

My plan is to spend time when I have access to parts of (like now) here and there instead of doing it all at once… so when I do have access what should my plan be? This is not a frame off and I’m not cutting out rust… also frame seems solid with no scaling…

My plan is to
  • scrape/brush any dirt away…
  • Do I need to do a CLR scrub if the area?
  • Do I need to wire wheel?
  • Should I use penetrol after that?
  • Or fluid film?
  • Rust converter?
Help me piece the process together and I’ll have something to do for 30-45 min when I have “free” time…

Cheers…

IMG_8994.jpeg

IMG_8995.jpeg

My frame was similar to this condition. Wire wheeled and rust converter then paint.

20220123_120602.jpg

20220127_103823.jpg

20220101_150244.jpg

My frame was similar to this condition. Wire wheeled and rust converter then paint.

View attachment 3415360

View attachment 3415361

View attachment 3415362

He said no frame off haha!!!

Trying to make a game plan for this frame under my Old Blue Build…

My plan is to spend time when I have access to parts of (like now) here and there instead of doing it all at once… so when I do have access what should my plan be? This is not a frame off and I’m not cutting out rust… also frame seems solid with no scaling…

My plan is to
  • scrape/brush any dirt away…
  • Do I need to do a CLR scrub if the area?
  • Do I need to wire wheel?
  • Should I use penetrol after that?
  • Or fluid film?
  • Rust converter?
Help me piece the process together and I’ll have something to do for 30-45 min when I have “free” time…

Cheers…

View attachment 3415355

View attachment 3415357

It doesn't look to bad from the limited pics of one side. Looks like mine and I'm in the PNW. Not sure where you are.

Since you don't plan on painting it, if this were me, and this is what I am planning for my rig, I would pressure wash the s*** out of the entire undercarriage. Wire wheel where I can. Get all the dirt and grease and whatever out of the frame rails and corners. Then fluid film the frame inside and out regularly.

Other's can chime in, but I generally only rust convert something I am going to paint over. Fluid film works great but kind of stinks for a bit.

He said no frame off haha!!!

It doesn't look to bad from the limited pics of one side. Looks like mine and I'm in the PNW. Not sure where you are.

Since you don't plan on painting it, if this were me, and this is what I am planning for my rig, I would pressure wash the s*** out of the entire undercarriage. Wire wheel where I can. Get all the dirt and grease and whatever out of the frame rails and corners. Then fluid film the frame inside and out regularly.

Other's can chime in, but I generally only rust convert something I am going to paint over. Fluid film works great but kind of stinks for a bit.
I mean… if I figure out how to get a lift installed… I’m not saying it’s never happening but I have a couple other projects to finish first 🤣… I’m down with the cleaning and then fluid filming. Since it’s already in the garage, most of the cleaning will be dry on the frame and the dirt is definitely quite dry so that shouldn’t be a problem.

That plus some wire wheeling is an OK remedy…

For reference I’m in Atlanta

Spent the last couple days making this blue pop back out after years of neglect.

CLR and blue scotch.

Water rinse.

Speed shine

Polish

Wax

Lots of steps but the end result is crazy

IMG_4159.jpeg

IMG_4162.jpeg

IMG_4176.jpeg

IMG_4178.jpeg

IMG_4188.jpeg

I didn’t realize how bad of shape this was in until it cleaned up so well. Thank you to the patina godfather @wngrog

This pic is before

84649858-5A75-4173-A919-378693E1ABBB.jpeg

This picture is after CLR and 0000 steel wool

A54E183F-8D69-40D8-8755-6726C00D003B.jpeg

This picture is after polish and wax. Huge difference.

4979CCA6-2D07-492F-870B-C8E0FF152C2F.jpeg
08E80601-B80D-4885-89EA-8D1A793CF7FC.jpeg
33DD9783-8702-46F3-8B95-2D777AB1ADC3.jpeg

I'll post more pictures of the whole truck before/ after with the same formula tomorrow.

So today I was prepping my doors for paint. They had about 3 different colors on them. I started using these 5" hook and loop discs I got from Benchmark abrasives. Noticed they were taking off the paint slowly and leaving the original Beige. Figured I would take some pics and share for those looking to remove spray paint to reveal the original color. I was using them on my Maxshine DA orbital buffer on the highest setting. It took some time but it was easy to keep it from burning through the OG paint.
Here is a link to them. I was using the medium Red. The blue was too fine to cut. Didn't try the Tan.

20231210_093313.jpg

20231210_093322.jpg

20231210_093327.jpg

20231210_094013.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom