Pre 03 Factory NAV to Double Din, Climate Knobs Conversion? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks guys. So this would be possible for a 2002 as well? I know the 03 had a bit different setup. Honestly it will probably be worth it to me to pay upwards of $1500-2000 after factoring in recoupment from selling current nav, drive, etc.
Now we need to work on a parts list. If I get around to calling beno or cdan I'll report back but this will probably be a project with timeframe of about a year in mind for me so not rushing.

I have an 02 as well.

Has anyone ever looked to see if any plug, harness or other items from the GX470 non-nav would work? They came out in 2003 (I believe) and you could get with nav and without.

gx470 ac controlls.jpg

I hate necro'ing threads, but I'm going to bump this thread since it's something I feel pretty set on resolving:

I have an '02 w/nav and I've heard some mention of being able to swap the tape deck for a single DIN unit? Supposedly you'd be able to pull only the audio out of the nav and redirect it to single DIN unit? If it's been done, can someone point me to the project or share their findings?

In addition, I'm just about to the point where I want to find a scrapped non-nav truck, and pull the entire dash. I really don't care about cost so much at this point. If someone already has a list of the needed parts, I'm all ears. I have a friend at Toyota that's always told me to hit him up for whatever parts or labor I need, so I might just show up one day with a dashboard strapped to the roof and tell him to get someone to swap it.

^I'm in the same boat and ready to buy and have installed whatever I need (regardless of $$ at this point) to convert this thing to have NAV/radio separate from climate control. If anyone has a parts list that'd be outstanding.

I must have missed some info the first time reading through this thread. So, some things I've found out:

1) Tape deck has HVAC controls built in for reasons beyond comprehension. You can replace the tape deck with a single DIN unit, but you basically need to relocate the tape deck and keep it installed.

2) The easiest thing to do that I can think of is install a single DIN unit into the center console and leave everything else attached and just have audio run through that.

Are you going to undertake this monumental task? If you're going to do it...keep us/me posted! I have the same setup as you except I've been saddled with the Mark Levinson crap too.

Good Luck

I must have missed some info the first time reading through this thread. So, some things I've found out:

1) Tape deck has HVAC controls built in for reasons beyond comprehension. You can replace the tape deck with a single DIN unit, but you basically need to relocate the tape deck and keep it installed.

2) The easiest thing to do that I can think of is install a single DIN unit into the center console and leave everything else attached and just have audio run through that.

I honestly might take it one step further. I found a truck being parted out and I'm considering buying the dash harness and swapping everything over to a non-nav system. The one thing stopping me is that the truck being parted out is a '98, which doesn't have rear AC. So I have no idea if I'd be able to add the additional wiring to make the rear AC work.

What I need to know is if the rear AC button has it's own plug, or if there's a plug with, say, 20 pins, that's just missing the rear AC pin.

If someone knows the answer to this, that would be huge for me, but so far I haven't gotten an answer. So this comes down to how easily I'll be able to turn on my rear AC.

Some good info you might find interesting in this thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fyi-12v-switched-power-sources.402714/#post-5744075

On my '98, the rear ac switch is fully functional, with lighting and all. Instead of the rear ac 'button' I have a blank that cannot be pushed. If that blank is removed I can press what is actually the button, but it currently goes to nothing. I'm planning to re-purpose it in the future, most likely with the install of a compressor.

So you are saying the wiring harness seems to have rear AC built into it already, and just goes to nothing? If that's the case, that would be huge...

I'm saying that switch is powered and functional. I have no rear ac, so I have no idea what the wiring looks like, but I found the details in the fsm and it looks like it's doable to use it. I think Spresso used the blank he had for rear heat, so it should be very doable. That's all I know though, haven't had the need to get too far into it yet. I'm guessing your wiring harness that goes into the hvac cluster has wiring for the rear ac, so if the plugs match it may function. I really don't know much about your nav units though, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

atomsk - I was thinking about the same path forward. I just don't have the $ at this time. Keep us posted if you move on with this...it sounds like the right way to go.

subbed for same question...found this pic on the net and got excited; this thread has already helped me a bunch. hopefully we can find a solution!
76-9-124653.jpg

The audio lines (wires) are discrete to the nav stack. You can extract them from the harness and tap to another audio source.

The 03 has some room in the dash for a single DIN though if you really really want to customize you could go Double DIN. The 01-02 configuration is not quite as easy as the audio controls are integral.

The audio lines (wires) are discrete to the nav stack. You can extract them from the harness and tap to another audio source.

The 03 has some room in the dash for a single DIN though if you really really want to customize you could go Double DIN. The 01-02 configuration is not quite as easy as the audio controls are integral.

thanks Rob! aren't you the one that spearheaded most of this research? any hope or are we dead in the water?:deadhorse::bang:

Interesting photo solved the audio problem but not the antiquated Nav and crappy climate control.

Interesting photo solved the audio problem but not the antiquated Nav and crappy climate control.
I know, right?! at least I would be able to play cd's and have an aux jack with this...some a****** has my cd disk drive that used to be under the armrest and i don't want to pay the $,$$$ for a new stock one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom