Pre 03 Factory NAV to Double Din, Climate Knobs Conversion? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You are using the same JVC head unit as I am. In the daylight, the thing is unreadable. I've messed with every setting, thinking about dumping it and getting something else. Have you found anything that helps with the glare?
No I was thinking the same thing. It is pretty bad and I didn't know if any of the others are better. I bought it at crutch field so no worries taking it back.

I have completed this project. I posted the details on primeral's other thread but I wanted to close this one out with the results. Here is a picture of the 5 connectors coming out of the dash and here is a picture of the new connectors that plug into the back of the new 3 knob. The new connectors are still in the bag. For my conversion it was much easier to use the pigtails off the donor 3 knob connector. Any plug and play harness will need to match the 5 vehicle plugs to the 4 donor 3 knob plugs. This will involve finding a match to these 5 male plugs and wiring into the 4 new plugs. If anyone really wants to try to build a harness I will send you these plugs for the shipping costs and you can see if you are able to find a match. If you just want to do the conversion it is much easier to just buy the pigtails of the donor controller. I spent a ton of time attempting to match these and I have determined they cannot be found. There is no markings on any of the plugs to help find a match. I have listed some of the possible part numbers above.View attachment 1493907Before
View attachment 1493909
After
View attachment 1493908

Wait so, you did it? Successfully? This is possible for us now?! Would love a link to the write up.

Wait so, you did it? Successfully? This is possible for us now?! Would love a link to the write up.
It can be done but it is not plug and play. It is not difficult to do. All the hard work and research has been done for you. You just need to source the parts. Here is a link to the how to. I put my report in there with the OP.
Pre-03 nav delete how-to

There is nothing wrong with my 2001 LX 470 AC Controls but, I am a knob person.

I haven't received my 2000 LC AC controls yet and I wanted to know if anyone has any guidance or information on swapping out a 2001 LX470 push button AC controllers for a 2000 Land Cruiser knobs?

Also since the Land Cruiser uses the fake wood trim and the LX470 has real wood, is it possible to keep the LX470 wood trim?

Thank you in advance for any of your help!

Lexus LX 470 Pictures #19.jpg

Land Cruiser AC Controls 2000.jpg

There is nothing wrong with my 2001 LX 470 AC Controls but, I am a knob person.

I haven't received my 2000 LC AC controls yet and I wanted to know if anyone has any guidance or information on swapping out a 2001 LX470 push button AC controllers for a 2000 Land Cruiser knobs?

Also since the Land Cruiser uses the fake wood trim and the LX470 has real wood, is it possible to keep the LX470 wood trim?

Thank you in advance for any of your help!

I believe the 3-knob unit and your unit are totally compatible, plug and play. Regarding the ugly wood trim on the 3-knob, I received my unit today and it had the similar ugly non-matching finish and it was also totally thrashed. It took me about 20m with a little metal tool to remove the wood trim and reveal the plain black plastic underneath. This peeled off and was just a thick sticker thing really. It covered up some details that were molded into the plastic. I will clean this thoroughly and then use something like the Mequiar’s Ultimate Black plastic restorer to make it shine. I think that it will end up looking good in my LX even without matching wood trim.

I believe the 3-knob unit and your unit are totally compatible, plug and play. Regarding the ugly wood trim on the 3-knob, I received my unit today and it had the similar ugly non-matching finish and it was also totally thrashed. It took me about 20m with a little metal tool to remove the wood trim and reveal the plain black plastic underneath. This peeled off and was just a thick sticker thing really. It covered up some details that were molded into the plastic. I will clean this thoroughly and then use something like the Mequiar’s Ultimate Black plastic restorer to make it shine. I think that it will end up looking good in my LX even without matching wood trim.

Will you please post a picture of your when you are finished?

I didnt think it was plug and play.... I bought the 3 knob as well and have not installed but got the connectors that go with it thankfully. I am almost thinking of taking it to a stereo place to have them install since I do not have all the little stuff that goes with it nor a lot of time. Still have to replace my shocks and other stuff going on and I am not a wire/ electrical guy unfortunately and I cant wait to get rid of that worthless OEM screen that isnt updated....

I didnt think it was plug and play.... I bought the 3 knob as well and have not installed but got the connectors that go with it thankfully. I am almost thinking of taking it to a stereo place to have them install since I do not have all the little stuff that goes with it nor a lot of time. Still have to replace my shocks and other stuff going on and I am not a wire/ electrical guy unfortunately and I cant wait to get rid of that worthless OEM screen that isnt updated....
I did this a couple of years ago as well. Be careful taking it to a stereo shop. I informed the stereo shop I went to, the only one willing to do it, that I had all of the wiring diagrams indicating how to rewire everything and they still wanted $800, not including the install of a headunit. I said no. It took me about 2 hours to rewire everything, and that was having to clean up the mess that was done by the previous owner tempering with the dash wiring. If you go down that road, just make sure they give you some type of warranty and deal especially if you have them install a headunit for you. Also, make sure you get a quality headunit. I purchased a cheap android headunit that is not the greatest in terms of reliability two years later.

I did this a couple of years ago as well. Be careful taking it to a stereo shop. I informed the stereo shop I went to, the only one willing to do it, that I had all of the wiring diagrams indicating how to rewire everything and they still wanted $800, not including the install of a headunit. I said no. It took me about 2 hours to rewire everything, and that was having to clean up the mess that was done by the previous owner tempering with the dash wiring. If you go down that road, just make sure they give you some type of warranty and deal especially if you have them install a headunit for you. Also, make sure you get a quality headunit. I purchased a cheap android headunit that is not the greatest in terms of reliability two years later.

Yikes!! I’ll be YouTubing and using the thread that was done awhile back it looks like hah! There is a great write up I just haven’t had the guts and time to commit to it.

Yikes!! I’ll be YouTubing and using the thread that was done awhile back it looks like hah! There is a great write up I just haven’t had the guts and time to commit to it.
Yes. It took me a while to fully go into it, but once you do it is not very difficult. It took me about 1.5 hours from start to finish. My boys sat in the back watching a movie while my little girl stayed with me in the front and helped. If you don't like it or make a mistake, you can always go back.

Bringing this thread alive. Did anyone ever figure out if the connectors are compatible? I have a 2005 LC with Nav and would like to use an ac/heater control from an earlier 100 series so I can install modern nav, apple carplay, etc. Would this be plug and play?

Thanks in advance!

Bringing this thread alive. Did anyone ever figure out if the connectors are compatible? I have a 2005 LC with Nav and would like to use an ac/heater control from an earlier 100 series so I can install modern nav, apple carplay, etc. Would this be plug and play?

Thanks in advance!

So I just finished my wiring going from a nav unit in my 2001 lx470 to a non-nav unit from another LX. Almost everything seems to be working.
For some reason though, the defrost button seems to work intermittently, the passenger mirror defrost doesn't work, the large "auto" button right bellow the outside temperature indicator doesn't work, and the "fan off" button doesn't do anything.
I'm hoping someone may know from experience if there's one wire that may impact those buttons. It feels like a ground maybe, but I don't see one I missed.

Also: my harnesses have d20, and, c10 that aren't used, the diagram says they aren't used, but I have wires in my dash that match those colors. I suspect I should hook them up, but I don't want to burn my car down 🤷‍♂️

Any advice would be appreciated.

I have followed the updated pinout, and all the cables that where on the car/new tail are connected, but nothing works at all !
There are some pins that are missing ( see photo - pins with minus sign) compared to the updated pinout pdf, but is thar enough for it all not to work.
I got the old knobs and tails together, so i think it would be strange, if there are suddenly missing som pins.

Something i am missing ?

PSX_20230127_120143.jpg

PSX_20230127_120852.jpg

PSX_20230127_120917.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom