Pre 03 Factory NAV to Double Din, Climate Knobs Conversion? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In the interest of saving time and money, I might go the route that redjet went. There's a pretty great audio shop not far from me and the owner and I have chatted on the phone regarding this project. He told me to bring down what I have, we'll tear into it a bit, and he'll tell me what route he thinks is best. He's rather knowledgeable with wiring (as one should be in this line of work) and for the price of the harness plugs cut out ($20 from junk yard) + his time to splice, it will probably end up being cheaper than a $300 dash harness + the time to drop the dash. Not to mention the plugs that are coming my way are out of a '99, bypassing any fears of a rear AC issue.

I'll keep you guys updated. I might not end up with any kind of write up, but at the very least I can point you guys in the right direction for parts and costs.

Maybe laser scan those plugs for 3d printing later. Would be nice to just whip up some when needed.

I'm not very up to date with laser scanning technology, but I'd imagine it would be difficult to get the resolution needed for the scan to come up with a workable part. There's some pretty tight tolerances on those plugs. Maybe an initial scan and then reworking the part digitally before printing. Either way, I don't have the way to scan them, but I might be willing to figure something out in the future for that.

There are shops that will do it for you. Accuracy to half a millimeter is common and some much tighter than that. Some home models will instantly convert to a printable model for duplication.

Wow... I haven't checked in on this thread in a long time. Did someone finally figure this out? If so, will the Lexus non-NAV unit work? It appears to have the same plugs on the back as the LC version.

Not sure if someone answered this for you - the Lexus HVAC unit (you bought from Lexi4Darin) will work. It has the same functionality as the three dial unit.

RobRed, thanks for all of your preliminary work. I appreciate you trying to kickstart the project and it's a damn shame it wasn't feasible to continue. That said, redjet, I am ready to tackle mine so if you can share your notes they would help immensely. I just messaged you asking for a spreadsheet, if one exists.

I'm not new to Toyota/Lexus, but this is my first LC/LX. Great community ... I've been reading up on old topics and it's been a great help.

Hey mudders,

I found a salvage yard on car-part.com listing an "AC control" and after they sent me pictures of it we worked out a deal:

bezel with AC amp $150
complete non-nav dash harness $250

For those unwilling or unable to do rewiring, but are mechanically capable, this could be a low-hassle solution. I don't think this would have been feasible years ago when the harnesses were $1200 new.

I'll start my own thread to highlight the changeover.

This information could be moot, but in case someone wanted to pick the project up and make an adaptation harness. C8-C11 is basically the pigtail that may or may not come with your non-nav bezel

6ZBHWpDalm4rMmBpHE7QXZ4bHrUUa2HT_3PprmKRsQTEf9XVPkPFdBE-0ZB_QPSzjwnWOIzSVT5_7q8=w956-h1053-rw

1. C8 - center ECU p/n 90980-11390
  2. C9 - center ECU p/n 90980-11391
  3. C10 - center ECU p/n 90980-11408
  4. C11 - center ECU p/n 90980-11392

electrical wiring routing - position of parts in instrument panel.JPG

On the non-nav harness near the ignition switch is an orange plug that is identical to the plug on the nav bezel. The ignition switch (bottom of first picture) is connector I18 for reference. Anyone know what it is? Consult Page 3 of this document

I'm just wondering if an adaptation harness is still possible.

Location of this orange plug with relation to the ignition switch
14063794_10209881476264216_4722017300283564854_n.jpg

pin pic of the orange plug on the non-nav harness
14089280_10209881380741828_9032644097328151935_n.jpg

top row
14021552_10209881381021835_4157332825542092472_n.jpg

bottom row
14021458_10209881381301842_5263181731799572250_n.jpg

Orange plug on nav-equipped center bezel
13906594_10209881381741853_6323870876322697369_n.jpg

part number 84010-60220 for nav-equipped center bezel
14022252_10209881382061861_5755011620166573844_n.jpg

comparison between both connectors
13932945_10209881382381869_7344970307313813510_n.jpg

I just recently picked up a 2002 LX470 w/ integrated climate controls in the head unit.

On ebay theres a non integrated AC control switch w/ bezel for $100.

2000 2001 2001l2 Lexus lx470 ac control switch with bezel automatic climate | eBay

If I purchase this, could I install an aftermarket double din radio? Is a special wiring harness required?

My existing navigation player is giving the "Program Disk Inserted" message. I do not think its worth the $400 to replace the laser or laser motor in the unit.

Has anyone else done this recently? It appears I just need a new head unit, 3 knob controller with the harness wires still attached? Doesn't seem to expensive but will require some reading. I read the entire thread and I think my 02 with NAV will work.

Also interested, I don't see where redjet posted a from-->too diagram for the plugs, just that PDF with wire colors. Is that PDF the re-pin results?

I did read this entire thread.

Short of that, essentially you need the Nav and Non-Nav wiring diagrams for your specific year/model and re-wire the HVAC controls, then install a separate AV/GPS system of your choice, correct? This may be a winter project, I'm interested, but have other stuff to get done first.

Also interested, I don't see where redjet posted a from-->too diagram for the plugs, just that PDF with wire colors. Is that PDF the re-pin results?

Short of that, essentially you need the Nav and Non-Nav wiring diagrams for your specific year/model and re-wire the HVAC controls, then install a separate AV/GPS system of your choice, correct? This may be a winter project, I'm interested, but have other stuff to get done first.
That is what it looks like to me. I saw that there are duplicate colored wires so I was not sure on the re pin PDF either. I was going to get a donor Temp control, either purchase 4 Toyota connectors using the part number primeral provided or have the junk yard cut that harnesses with the donor temperature control, and a new head unit. I have the FSM and the electrical manual for the 02.

Ok, TXS, when you start, let me know, let's I'll be happy to work through the issues along with you.

I'm a bit torn between the LX non-nav (which has auto) vs the 3 dials. I typically leave mine on auto and just use the temp up/dwn to control the fan speed, but I don't really dig that little temp knob on the LX control. I do like the 'old school' control of the 3 dials.

I understand they both control the same way. Which way you leaning?

Ok, TXS, when you start, let me know, let's I'll be happy to work through the issues along with you.

I'm a bit torn between the LX non-nav (which has auto) vs the 3 dials. I typically leave mine on auto and just use the temp up/dwn to control the fan speed, but I don't really dig that little temp knob on the LX control. I do like the 'old school' control of the 3 dials.

I understand they both control the same way. Which way you leaning?
I am looking towards the 3 knob controller. They are abundant on Ebay for $65-$125. I imagine they will charge a bit more to leave some wire and plugs attached.

Hey BillZ260

I'm on a different computer on an extremely slow connection (I'm traveling) so I don't have my documentation handy. You might want to search for my thread and I made a pin-to-pin spreadsheet that simplifies this conversion process.

Edit: I found the PDF I made from my Google Drive. I'm attempting to upload it. I hope you are able to download it. I am linking the folder I used which will help you understand better, with pictures of the bezels showing which connector / pigtail is which.

My LX470 folder

Attachments

• Updated non-nav pinouts.pdf
    159.4 KB · Views: 255

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom