Power steering issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Twin Ports of Superior, WI and Duluth, MN
Hi All,

I tried searching but couldn't find anything that addresses my issue.

I have been having some pretty serious issues with my power steering. What started out as a small drip two days ago has spiraled into having serious foaming and overflowing out of the reservoir.

I had a slow leak where the steering rack meets the steering column. After reading a few online reviews, I bought a bottle of Blue Devil stop leak and followed the directions. I drove the truck for 2 hours yesterday and had no issues and it actually seemed like the leak was gone.

Well, today I drove the truck about 30 miles and when I stopped to get gas, all of the sudden the system started groaning so I popped the hood and there was fluid foaming out of the reservoir in large amounts. I tried to bleed the system by following the FSM and I am still getting air in the system like crazy. I cleaned the reservoir and I didn't see much in the way of gunk on the little screen but I blasted it with brake cleaner anyway and tried again and it's the same.

My question is, how does air get into the system this quickly and could it be sucking in where the leak was even though it doesn't appear to be leaking any more or is it more likely the lines?

I ordered a new rack from my local dealer and scheduled to have it installed but that won't be for three weeks. In the mean time, I am wondering if that is even my issue...

Could I try to use a radiator pressure tester to see if I can find where the air is getting in or is that dumb?

The pic is of the initial leak. There is fluid all over the place now by the reservoir and lines and it's raining too hard to really get them cleaned up today, but I will have time this weekend to dive into this further.

Any insights ?

Thanks in advance, Red.

power steering.jpg

Alright, now I feel dumb. Not sure if it was just a coincidence but it turns out one of the hoses coming off the reservoir was very loose at the pump. Tightened the clamp back up and all seems fine now. Someone has been in there before because those weren't stock hose clamps and they must have either not tightened them enough or it came loose. Will probably get some nicer Breeze clamps for these now.

Last edited:
Sounds like it was leaking air on a return line and sucking in air and foaming the fluid, then?
It was on the vacuum side of the reservoir but down where it meets the pump. No clue how it happened but my only guess is that the stop leak was enough to change something internally and cause it to leak. The clamp was pretty loose so I could see how that might happen.

You can replace both rubber return hoses easily without buying any expensive stuff - just the correct size transmission-fluid-rated hoses from Advance Auto or NAPA. You need to be careful sliding them onto the OEM metal ends so that you don't bend anything. You may even want to heat the hose ends with a heat gun first, lube them with ATF, then slide them on.

I replaced both return-side rubber hoses for ~$20. I would not just 'tighten the clamps' for a long term solution (unless your hoses are newish).

You can replace both rubber return hoses easily without buying any expensive stuff - just the correct size transmission-fluid-rated hoses from Advance Auto or NAPA. You need to be careful sliding them onto the OEM metal ends so that you don't bend anything. You may even want to heat the hose ends with a heat gun first, lube them with ATF, then slide them on.

I replaced both return-side rubber hoses for ~$20. I would not just 'tighten the clamps' for a long term solution (unless your hoses are newish).
I agree. I was planning on doing this. Others have said that the larger vacuum hose was a 5/8" diameter and the return line was a 3/8". is that what you bought? I am pretty sure these are already aftermarket hoses and I don't really think the OEM ones are worth it if it's just these. For the pressure hoses, I would probably bite the bullet and go OEM.

Alright, now I feel dumb. Not sure if it was just a coincidence but it turns out one of the hoses coming off the reservoir was very loose at the pump. Tightened the clamp back up and all seems fine now. Someone has been in there before because those weren't stock hose clamps and they must have either not tightened them enough or it came loose. Will probably get some nicer Breeze clamps for these now.
I haven't seen one 1st gen 100 series that didn't have loose OEM hoses.

Here's what I wrote in my service log: Replace both power steering low pressure hoses with 3/8 and 5/8 oil-rated PS hose from Advance Auto (sold bulk, $15 total + 1 quart Dex III PS fluid).

Get an extra 6"-12" of each hose. On one of the hoses, I routed it further away from the engine fan for safely. This hose is so cheap that should buy extra and study the routing and do it your way, vs. the factory, if it seems more robust.

Agree - for high pressure hoses, go OEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom