Power steering air control issue...engine smoking (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2001 100 series. I replaced power steering air control valve or switch (that gives air from the upper manifold to the power steering pump for help steering when parked) and it was driving fine. Then I started it up and heard my power steering whining. Looked in the reservoir and it was empty. Filled it up, and it started to smoke pretty quickly from the tail pipe. It isn't condensation as its thick white smoke. Went looking under the hood and PS fluid was empty again with no fluid leak present. Nothing in the engine compartment or on the ground. Car is running fine besides smoke and power steering issues. Temp and oil pressure are good. Not overheating at all. I am assuming it is that valve (read numerous threads of that valve failing and the LC smoking). My coolant was a little discolored and overflowing. Oil looked completely fine. So my questions are 1. Is the engine fine or do I need to flush the fluid or change the oil? Will the power steering fluid just burn off? 2. Can the valve be installed incorrectly or did it just fail? Any suggestions would help! Images of the part are attached
Thanks

Screenshot_20240224_100406_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240224_100317_Google.jpg

When a Idle up control valve (IUCV) fails, resulting in leak. The PS ATF gets suck into air tube, T-body, intake manifold, combustion chamber and into CAT.
Clean all ATF from air box and T-body. It would be a good idea to clean intake manifold also (mop out). There is a small risk of hydro-locking, combustion chamber. But by just let sit, with out running engine. Most of the ATF in combustion chamber, should leak down into crank case. So oil change is also good idea.

There is a concern CAT(s) are soaked. Damage here is they ignite when at optimal opt temp (~1,000F to 1,500F) and burnout. Idling not driving and not increasing RPM, will keep temperature of CAT low ~ 500F to 800F.

A CAT cleaning chemical, can also be used. After a few idling sessions.

But frankly, most just replace the IUCV, clean air pipe and call it a day!

But a new OEM failing is a 1 in a million. More likely something wrong with your system.

Your high pressure line and other hoses, do not look correct for a 100 series. Perhaps I'm looking at picture wrong.

014.JPG
009.JPG

026 (2).JPG
024 (2).JPG

Yeah I purchased an after market one. The pics I posted where just ones I could find off of the internet and think a couple pics where from a sequoia. Does it have to be installed a certain way? When I took the old one out the 2 outlet valves were parallel to the ground but read that it didn't matter (installed mine vertical)

Yeah I purchased an after market one. The pics I posted where just ones I could find off of the internet and think a couple pics where from a sequoia. Does it have to be installed a certain way? When I took the old one out the 2 outlet valves were parallel to the ground but read that it didn't matter (installed mine vertical)
Doesn’t matter.

No

I recently replaced power steering pump, (no power steering at start-up, only at high idle, and after a days driving the oil reservoir would be empty)
And now the air control valve on the power steering hose, as pictured in the threads photos is leaking oil? What can cause this?

I recently replaced power steering pump, (no power steering at start-up, only at high idle, and after a days driving the oil reservoir would be empty)
And now the air control valve on the power steering hose, as pictured in the threads photos is leaking oil? What can cause this?
Using Power Steering fluid, can be damaging and result in hard steering when cold. I use only Mobil 1 full synthetic ATF.

Blockage in reservoir can result in steering and pressure issues. Remove reservoir and clean. Cleaning cambers and screen, making sure no holes in screen.

If new OEM idle up control valve (IUCV) leaking at threads. Tighten IUCV a little more and or use some thread sealer, like Toyota FIPG 103 (oil).
If IUCV, leaking into vacuum lines. Replace IUCV with new OEM.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom