Power Steering Gearbox Reseal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Victory

image.jpeg

So in place of the spanner wrench sst I used this to tighten the adjusting cup ring for the input shaft bearing. I backed off on the preload on the cup because you can't hold it still while tightening the ring with this socket.

2 3/5 inch wheel bearing tool of some sort, can't remember why I bought it or what type of vehicle it is for.... Oh well

image.jpeg

Adjusted the sector shaft preload kind of by feel b/c I don't have the sst for that either. Put a open end wrench on the flats of the input shaft. Wrench was a 15 mm to think and about 6 in. long so adjusted the preload by pulling with what I guessed was about 1 lb of force, spec is 5.2 to 8.2 in-lb so was just trying to get it in the ball park. Not the best or right way to do this I'm sure, but it seemed like the thing to try.

After putting everything back on the rig steering didn't quite have enough free play, felt more like modern rack and pinion than 1985 land cruiser so I backed of on that adjustment screw a bit until things felt a little better.

Someone asked earlier about refilling the gear box with atf. All I did was bolt everything back together and fill the reservoir on the pump. Worked the steering back and forth to get the air out and kept refilling. Seems to have worked.

I'm at 247,000 miles on the rig now, will try to remember to come back and update on how well it holds up, hopefully it's long enough to forget!

All in all, even with buying 2 seal kits, it wasn't too bad. I'm in it for about $75, could have been less without the whoops.

Thanks for a great write up. I'm just about to start mine. I guess you didn't replace the needle bearings.
Lots of tips here I hadn't thought of. J

Thanks for a great write up. I'm just about to start mine. I guess you didn't replace the needle bearings.
Lots of tips here I hadn't thought of. J

No problem. And nope, I didn't replace any bearings. I heard they were no longer available through Toyota and, since I wasn't in a rush, figured I'd take it apart and make a determination on wether they needed replacing after getting a good look at them. Based on what I saw I figured they still had some useful life so I didn't bother searching out an aftermarket source for the bearings.

Excellent write up. I've barely looked at the FSM as a result. I'm curious if using the Toyota teflon ring on the ball screw works better running it into the housing? Or do I still need to do the freezer trick? I am installing the Toyota kit and had no issues getting the worm gear back in. I'll hit the third stage (main housing) manana. And thanks to Felicity for advising me during the planning stages. I think I spent more time starring at all the o-rings and parts than I have cleaning and installing them :)

IMG_9709.JPG
Excellent write up. I've barely looked at the FSM as a result. I'm curious if using the Toyota teflon ring on the ball screw works better running it into the housing? Or do I still need to do the freezer trick? I am installing the Toyota kit and had no issues getting the worm gear back in. I'll hit the third stage (main housing) manana. And thanks to Felicity for advising me during the planning stages. I think I spent more time starring at all the o-rings and parts than I have cleaning and installing them :)
Man what a PITF-NG ass. I spoke way too soon on the last post. That nylon bushing was a nightmare. I had that thing shaped like a heart and everything else under the sun. Gonna require some time against the sector shaft to recall its original shape. Good news is it's done.

View attachment 1399810
Man what a PITF-NG ass. I spoke way too soon on the last post. That nylon bushing was a nightmare. I had that thing shaped like a heart and everything else under the sun. Gonna require some time against the sector shaft to recall its original shape. Good news is it's done.
Yeah, I use socket with a several wraps of electrical tape to create a lip, similar to the SST they showin the power steering FSM, to keep the teflon and rubber seal from pushing back, then I press it in.
20170215_222820.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I use socket with a several wraps of electrical tape to create a lip, similar to the SST they showin the power steering FSM, to keep the teflon and rubber seal from pushing back, then I press it in.
View attachment 1402980
Man I need to get that FSM. The one I have (actually 2 copies) did not have the page you just posted. And nice job making your own tool. If I get an idea of what it looks like I usually do the same thing.

I am commenting only because I see the control valve sealing rings (two white and green speckled) are the same ones I ditched because they were way loose.. I contacted toyota and had them order the oem rings at a price of $11.25 ea (plus a few coins possibly) and they fit much better.

@NeverGiveUpYota, Do you remember the part number for the OEM control valve sealing rings?

Was it 9030132002 ?

Last edited:
I rebuilt my box a couple months back as well.

The two major issues I ran into were:

1. The tightening screw on the sector shaft striped out and I needed the screw and the nut replaced.

View attachment 1313623

2. I made the two spanner wrenches for the large ring nut on the top plate so I could tighten it.
I'd like to see some more detailed pics with that spanner nut does it come apart

View attachment 1313622

Had a little more time tonight and got the seals on the worm shaft and the piston. There is an oring under the seal on the piston.

View attachment 1312548

View attachment 1312549

Next I moved to the bottom of the housing and took out the sector shaft dust seal. There is a c-clip behind it that is being stubborn, so stopping for today. Will let it sit with some penetrant on it overnight and will try again later.

View attachment 1312550

View attachment 1312552

Got some more cleaning to do on this end apparently....
So can I reseal without taking the ball bearings out?I'm not understanding how you got the worm shaft out without losing the ball bearings are if that is a possibility

I sent mine off to West Texas Off Road, LINK and they did a fantastic job, but it sure is nice to have a pictorial of how to do it on your own bench. Had this been available then, I probably would have tried it.

Thanks again, Ufg8r and Cruiser Jimmy!

I sent mine off to West Texas as well and it leaked 2 months later. Then Georg put a band aid on it for me but it's leaking again. Ugh... Now I just need to do it myself.

Great write up. Thank you!

This is a great thread!

I heard one person mention warming up seals, or such.

One trick to warming seals is to put them into a zip lock type bag with some steering fluid, seal it up and put it into some hot water, not boiling water. But hot from a tap.

In aviation when I am fitting things that are a press fit I also warm them up. I use a heat gun and warm them to the point you would not want to hold them in your bare hand, but not to the point it smokes. The other side can be put into a freezer for a few hours or you can use some super cold (spray can). Sometimes the expansion/contraction makes things just flop together easily.

I sent mine off to West Texas as well and it leaked 2 months later. Then Georg put a band aid on it for me but it's leaking again. Ugh... Now I just need to do it myself.

Great write up. Thank you!
West Texas doesn’t warranty their work? That would seem unheard of....

@Swampcruiser45 apologies coming off like a bitch (I am a chick) but really if your this confused.... at minimum watch the bleepin jeep gear box rebuild YouTube video then if your still confused, have someone else do it.

@Swampcruiser45 apologies coming off like a bitch (I am a chick) but really if your this confused.... at minimum watch the bleepin jeep gear box rebuild YouTube video then if your still confused, have someone else do it.
No problem. It has become more understandable the more I do with it. I was just trying to keep from taking the ball bearings out and if that was necessary. The input shaft seal had me confused. I bought a spanner wrench to take it apart, but then realized the seal just presses out. The seal isn't seating all he way. I'm going to try cooling or heating

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom