Introducing Mac & myself (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all! I wanted to start by saying thanks to all of you as you don't know it, but I've admired and used many of your previous posts to try and gain a bit of knowledge prior to this point. Today I bought my first Toyota in the form of a red 1984 fj60 and couldn't be more excited. It needs work as it doesn't currently run (hopefully fixed this week) and the interior needs some attention (carpet and driver seat) but it's virtually rust free with a body that's pretty straight. I'm planning to keep it in near stock form while adding bumpers and sliders. I have purchased new headlights and a new wiring harness (through slcfj62) as these seem to be common concerns that I felt could be easily rectified. Here are a couple of photos from today and I hope to have more updates soon. Thanks for the knowledge you all have provided and will provide in the future.

49659494085__F236439A-C47E-43A7-93A9-898DEA1A85C4.JPG

49659492551__BCF6B208-0E38-48BD-8959-D6A0CF040C45.JPG

IMG_7011.JPG

IMG_7009.JPG

Congrats and welcome :flipoff2: to Mud!! Looks like a nice 60, you are going to love it!

Welcome

Sweet, it should polish well.

Ispy a forty in the yard.

Nice.....Congrats and you will have lots of fun with it.

Will this be your daily driver?

Welcome.

But now, you have opened the bottle and taken the first good drink and you're feeling all warm and happy, soon you will want more, and more, and this ain't the cheap stuff! For many, ownership usually turns into an obsession, but many times...an addiction! You have been warned.

Enjoy

Oh ya, the official welcome - :flipoff2:

Last edited:
Planning to update this thread in the near future once I get some new photos and a better grasp on what has been done since I initially made the plunge. All I can say now is that I have spent a fair amount of time, effort, and $$ into trying to rectify as many of the problems that weren't initially evident at the time of purchase due to my ignorance. Below is a list of some of the updates and maintenance items done that will hopefully add to the durability and dependability of a once neglected and forgotten rig.

Completed:
- Front axles rebuilt
- New starter
- New front brakes & rear brakes with T100 brake booster
- New steering stabilizer (OME), tie rod, relay rod, & TREs (555 brand)
- Fuel tank dropped and resealed. Lines replaced. New sending unit & fuel filter
- Desmogged and new Trollhole carb installed. (Edit: City Racer Carb ultimately installed)
- Valves and timing adjusted with new plugs, plug wires, and HEI cap/rotor (Edit: Stock Dizzy & Recurved by @FJ40Jim & couldn't be happier)
- New thermostat & lower housing
- Addressed the worst portion of the frame rust (minor) with POR-15
- Install Cibie headlights and SLCFJ62's harness
- Rear axle job
- Stainless battery tray and upgraded cables

To Do:
- Buy/Install carpet kit once rust issue addressed along rear hatch
- Have replacement tailgate painted and installed
- Replace lift with ToughDog
- new tires

Thanks for all the help to date. Couldn't have done this without the help of this forum.

carb.JPG

Hubs.JPG

Passenger axle.JPG

Tank.JPG

Rust before and after.JPG

Last edited:
That wiring harness is a thing of beauty. I’m coveting it. And the fuel tank looks great. Keep at it!

Last edited:
I’ve got that wiring harness installed! Works great and such an easy install. Saved hours of time - I made my own for my jeep and it took at least 8 hours and isn’t nearly as nice. Worth every penny. From wired wagon, right?

@slcfj62 harness. Must have gotten one of the last ones because I hear he isn't making them any longer.

I know this is going to seem like attempting to polish a turd but sometimes I can't help but splurge on things solely for looks. In addition to refurbishing the mudflaps and a new hood insulator I was able to get something beneficial done. I now have a partially functional carb fan and installed a new fuel pump so I guess in some way that justifies blowing cash in other areas.

Old hood insulator.JPG

New hood insulator.JPG

Completed mudflaps.JPG

fuel pump.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom