Post up what you pedal (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

72DA6C99-7D39-42D7-B878-DA0668D62346.jpeg

2016 S-Works Stumpjumper (NOS) with full XTR treatment. I built this bike from the ground up including the wheels. Sourcing parts these days was a real challenge.

Edit: looks like I need to trim my front brake cable. Never noticed it until this photo!

IMG_5398.jpeg

Last edited:
How do you like the hard tail? I have full suspension but also see the hard tail guys fly by me on uphill. You have multiple bikes or mostly stay gravel and flowy trails? I’m <12 months riding so forgive my ignorance. I just love how light they are
I’m very old and I have never owned a full suspension bike. I find them to be too heavy and too floaty.

I’ve always ridden hard tails and if it gets rough I’m usually standing up. I don’t do any crazy stuff, mostly dirt trails around my house in Lafayette and paved roads to get there.

That’s what I’m used to, but my wife has a Juliana Furtado full suspension.

But I’m also the guy taking a single speed 29er with narrow ass tires on the trails.

I’m very old and I have never owned a full suspension bike. I find them to be too heavy and too floaty.

I'm also a senior citizen and just switched to full suspension after years of riding a fully rigid steel bike. I loved the rigid bike (Niner SIR) and rode it everywhere, but it was taking it's toll on me. I'm rediscovering my favorite trails on my FS and loving it. The only thing I would change would be to have full lockout of both the front and rear suspension for climbing.

Here's an old screen shot of me and my Niner in Google Maps on a trail outside Flagstaff AZ.

jimGoogleMaps.jpg

Here's a link to the trail image:

Last edited:
Transition Sentinel alloy GX
5E612095-D245-488F-ADC8-8284D1E12F50.jpeg
2850394F-86FC-4305-9B14-0DA282760D22.jpeg

Last edited:
Good to see such a local turnout. I had to take a spin just to jump start my body temp, happens this time of year.

Keep your SAE wrenches handy.

IMG_20211213_155726.jpg

1982 (stamped on the Wald brand pedals it came with) Huffy 10-speed. Basically never used.

IMG_20211213_155738.jpg

IMG_20211213_155759.jpg

IMG_20211213_155833.jpg

This is basically identical to my '87 Murray, that has been my daily for a couple of years, at least. Huffy welded the kickstands. Parts aren't that specialized, ashtabula crank, 5 to 8 speed chain, headset. I learned to read with the Huffy 'Tiempo' book that came with a similar 10-speed that I had as a kid.

If we're going "old skool," here's my 1972 Gitane TdF with toe baskets, original brooks saddle, and a 80's vintage bike headlight w/generator :) Was my first race bike I got used from one of the guys on the team I was racing on.
Gitane.jpg

Last edited:
Beat someone in that thing and you are the ultimate warrior!

Back in "the day" it was easily competing with anything else out there (was running sew-ups and no reflectors/light - that changed when I got to college). Quoting a famous rider, "It's not about the bike - all about the engine..."

If we're going "old skool," here's my 1972 Gitane TdF with toe baskets, original brooks saddle, and a 80's vintage bike headlight w/generator :) Was my first race bike I got used from one of the guys on the team I was racing on.
View attachment 2864985
I agree the rider is most important, but also know that bike technology has made leaps since this time period. But me at my peak could probably beat me now with that machine on anything but an ebike.
Would actually be an interesting race…me at 23 time trialing against me now with a huge equipment disparity.

I never said bike technology didnt change, nor that I could beat anything that was using current tech. I did post my old Gitane after another member posted an older bike and then said quite clearly the "back in the day" it was a race bike...and honestly, a damn fine option for racing until the aluminum frames became popular. Today, it hardly ever gets riden, due to my stable of carbon fiber, Ti, and bamboo frames.

Very nice! I see you're in NM - where do you ride?
That particular photo is at the Galisteo Basin Preserve on the Winter Solstice. It's my go-to place since I can ride there from my house, but I often times drive to the trailhead to avoid a long uphill ride back home. :shame: This summer I found a great network of trails near Silver City (dragonfly, etc.) and can't wait to go back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom