Post up what you pedal (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My Ibis Ripley - frigging love riding this bike.

IMG_0991.JPG

I have a dropper. It's heavy

Over rated. Set it and forget it!
I thought the same thing until I rode one... the ability to drop on the fly and then get back to normal quickly was phenomenal. In something that is more of a XC related terrain with little terrain change or tech, then I could see dropping the post at the top of a long descent and leaving it there. True trail riding really NEEDS a dropper. Or at least that is what I have found.

I thought the same thing until I rode one... the ability to drop on the fly and then get back to normal quickly was phenomenal. In something that is more of a XC related terrain with little terrain change or tech, then I could see dropping the post at the top of a long descent and leaving it there. True trail riding really NEEDS a dropper. Or at least that is what I have found.

Fair enough. I race XC all summer and have never found a need for one. At least not enough to warrant the cost and weight.

I was slow to change. Now I can't imagine I was so shreddy without one..... now I'm super shreddy, like Shreddy Van Halen type shreddy.

Seriously.. I have had one on my hard tail cross country bike for maybe two years. Of course one on my trail bike. Thinking about one on my cross bike.

For those who are hesitant; you'll use one way more than you ever imagined.

I was slow to change. Now I can't imagine I was so shreddy without one..... now I'm super shreddy, like Shreddy Van Halen type shreddy.

Seriously.. I have had one on my hard tail cross country bike for maybe two years. Of course one on my trail bike. Thinking about one on my cross bike.

For those who are hesitant; you'll use one way more than you ever imagined.
Cross bike might be a bit overboard IMO. If you feel you need one on the cross bike might be better to invest in a good bike handling clinic at that point.

Holmes...... when cross nationals were in Asheville last year, several pro riders were dropping.

And they were not concerned with weight.

Really, I'd mainly put one on my cross bike so I might lower the saddle when stopping to talk with the ladies. And if my beer goggles are on, that includes those that have migrated to my state from yours.

Jokes..... just jokes.

GO TIGERS!

I probably could benefit from a skills clinic.

I just don't see the need for that extra piece of equipment. Simplify.....and maybe lower your seat a a centimeter.

I just don't see the need for that extra piece of equipment. Simplify.....and maybe lower your seat a a centimeter.
Meh... to each their own... I was in the same boat, even built my trail bike with a standard post. Buddy that I constantly ride with was razzing me on a couple rides on the downhills.... Oh how I wish my seat would just drop at the touch of a.... OH LOOK!!! (yeah he is that arsehole)... Oh now I really wish my seatpost would come up to the proper position after this long descent. I hate having to stop and....OOOOHHH LOOKKK!!!!

Anyways, I bit the bullet and was able to get a KS eTen dropper (lowest line) for $150 shipped. At that price I was sure that if I didn't like it I could ebay it and get most of the money back. I am now looking at ebaying it to get a BETTER one, nothing wrong with this one other that it is a little on the porky side. But then again so am I and so is the bike (at 30lbs last I remember).

Of all the bikes we stock, I'd say that those which are $1,500 and more, 70% of them are stock with droppers. Even if it's a POS dropper.

My bike came with a dropper.

I now love it, and any trail bike I own will have one. Riding uphill and on most terrain, leave it up. Come to an area with jumps, drops, steep downs, obviously drop it and enjoy. I don't much care about the minor weight penalty, and it makes the riding a bunch more fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom