POR15 as a final finish coat? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HandForged

Built Not Bought!
Threads
I was down at my local paint supplier and requested the gray POR15. Lady at the counter led me back into the warehouse and pointed to 5 boxes of pints in Gray that they no longer sell through the store. I was offered all 5 boxes of pints for less than their cost to essentially take them all away.

I have used POR15 for decades on different projects and build but I have never sprayed an entire truck with it. Has anyone done this? How does it look when thinned and sprayed over a larger panel? I'm going to buy it either way, just wondering if anyone had used it for a final finish on the outside.

The backup plan is to spray it all with POR15 then give it coating of CARC primer and finally a heavy coat of military CARC in green. No rust....EVER.

We did a railing with POR15 this past summer because we had an open can to use up. It powdered within a month. It's still solid, but shows handprints and the powder rubs off on you.

Any POR15 that sees sunlight will get chalky and look terrible.

Thanks, I have used it for years but never thought of leaving it as a topcoat. Guess I'm glad I didn't.

POR15 will need a topcoat if getting UV. i usually use it for parts under the body and hood, so that's a non-issue. the POR is so hard, you won't be able to sand it like primer, and you won't get proper showroom results like automotive paint. I wouldn't POR anything on the outside of the body.

Not the best pic. Original bumpers rusted through. Those are Rock Auto bumpers. Stripped of factory primer, regular POR15 schedule (Marine Clean, Metal Prep, POR15), then POR15 Tie Coat primer, then 2K sandable primer, then 2K Hot Rod flat black.

I believe there are 11 or 12 coats of paint on the exterior of the bumpers. So POR15 can be used as a primer under finish coats but it's a stupid amount of work.

tmp-cam-2860181879436128758.jpg

Not the best pic. Original bumpers rusted through. Those are Rock Auto bumpers. Stripped of factory primer, regular POR15 schedule (Marine Clean, Metal Prep, POR15), then POR15 Tie Coat primer, then 2K sandable primer, then 2K Hot Rod flat black.

I believe there are 11 or 12 coats of paint on the exterior of the bumpers. So POR15 can be used as a primer under finish coats but it's a stupid amount of work.

View attachment 2163113

It makes zero sense to apply POR 15 to a new part.

Some of the overseas bumpers and other bits have horrible powdercoating, which peels or corrodes fast. In that case, if you're getting the part cheap enough, and have access to your own sandblaster, it might be worth it?

I just picked up a 2015 Tacoma with only 16k unfortunately previous owner did not wash down the under carriage after snow and salt events and has some corrosion , its savable just needs a good coat of Por-15 .
Going to pressure was really good and wire brush and scuff .
I usually do the frame in black and underside in the grey .
I have one of those harbor freight pressure pots with spray gun and hose works great for painting upside down.
Both gray and black will spray threw with no thinning , I have noticed the grey has a thinner viscosity for some reason less solids .

Yes Por-15 will need prep for proper adhesion to new metal or shinny surfaces , it bonds great to corroded metal .
As for paint I usually do test spots if lacquer thinner soften existing paint and if so I will do a spray down with thinner to soften the paint then apply the por-15 usually bites to the existing paint but must be clean surface .
There are some paint softeners out there but I have not used them .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom