PNW 67 Patina Blue (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pulled the closest style bolt I could find in my Land Cruiser bolt stash.

thumbnail_IMG_7946.jpg

Back together.

thumbnail_IMG_7947.jpg

The outer hinge is bent but I'll fix that when I reupholster the seats.

thumbnail_IMG_7953.jpg

Seats are back in place.

I noticed a small puddle of coolant on my shop floor under the lower radiator hose. I pressurized the system again and could not for the life of me see any leaks but when I would step away for a few hours, a tiny puddle would form. So I pulled the radiator to inspect.

The paint was starting to come up around the fitting on the drain cock. I scraped it off, pressurized the tank, and hit it with soapy water. Damn. Bubbles. Slow leak that was running under the paint and then down the bottom saddle.

thumbnail_IMG_8010.jpg

It's about this time that I should admit that I didn't remove the drain cock plug before installing the radiator and it slammed down pretty hard on the radiator support because I stupidly assumed it would fit through the hole. I gambled that I didn't damage it and lost.

I am not an expert at soldering but I figured why the hell not, I'll give this a shot. First attempt at just filling the small leak on the bottom just opened another on the top side.

thumbnail_IMG_8192.jpg

I know that when soldering fittings together, it has to be clean clean clean. So to do that, out comes the fitting.

thumbnail_IMG_8197.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8199.jpg

And it still leaks. Time for the pros.

I dropped it off at a radiator shop this morning. When I called them and asked if they could fix it, they asked what it was for and said they worked on FJ40 radiators all the time for a well known shop around here. Sweet!

When I showed the dude my radiator, he called it a cheap aftermarket one because it had the full wrap around saddle. He had never seen an early one apparently and I tried to argue as such but when he gave me the "I've been doing this for 40 years" I knew I should shut up if I wanted my radiator fixed haha. I pick it up in 2 days.

Negative terminal was looking a little green under the tape. Def not the OEM terminal.

thumbnail_IMG_8309.jpg

Looks like not the best connection. There's been arching and the lead has melted a bit.

thumbnail_IMG_8311.jpg

Pulled back the tape and yeah, it's green.

thumbnail_IMG_8316.jpg

Just for fun, I soaked it in some baking soda water and smacked it against my work bench to see how bad the corrosion is. Yeah, I'll be looking for a new set.

thumbnail_IMG_8317.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8326.jpg

Positive terminal is brass and appears to look like the OEM one but it's missing the markings and has a thru bolt. Oh and the damn cable is on upside down.

thumbnail_IMG_8323.jpg

Time to go down another rabbit hole, this time for battery terminals and cables.

ToyotaMatt can make up some very nice stock looking cables. There's another vendor here with some heavier duty mil-spec versions, but I can't remember who it is?

Andrew

ToyotaMatt can make up some very nice stock looking cables. There's another vendor here with some heavier duty mil-spec versions, but I can't remember who it is?

Andrew
@Fourrunner makes the beefy cables. Good stuff. I run them on my FJ62 and my 40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom