PNW 67 Patina Blue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings all. I'm actually starting to make some progress on my build so I figured I should start a build thread. Here is the first pic I took when I found it.

1658857142697.jpeg

So the story. My neighbor accross the road was talking to my wife about an old "jeep" she was about to put up for sale. I'm the kind of guy that always has his head on swivel looking for the next project so I immediatley hoofed it over there. I've known this neighbor for a bit but it wasn't much of a relationship beyond a friendly hello. Her husband had recently passed. She had sold off a half a dozen CJ5s and this was what was left. The cab was filled with a box of FJ40 parts and a bunch of Jeep stuff.

1658857639008.jpeg

1658857657062.jpeg

1658857674322.jpeg

Apparently my neighbor told a few other people about the land cruiser and by the next day, there was already a couple people trying to get it. At the time I had no idea how rare an off market find like this was. After some back and forth we landed on a price. I won out because my plans were the same as here husbands. Restore it and drive it. The other buyers seemed like flippers who smelled some quick cash.

I am technically the third owner. PO bought this from the original owner in 2002/2003 and then parked it in his shop. He drove it there. I am told that it runs but smokes a bit. It's 95% original and OEM. It has the original spare tire. The other 4 rims have the correct date code. There are a few bits on the cooling system that were replaced with what look like parts from a plumbers work truck. I'll get those back to OEM.

It came with a stack of service records from various Toyota dealerships dating back to the early 70s. When I get some time I'll post some pics of these receipts. You all will get a kick out of some of these prices! Original owner was a navy guy. His card is still stapled to the service booklet. This was built in 6/66-7/66, titled as a 1967. Original owner took delivery on Dec 5, 1969 though. Maybe he was deployed? Just 6 months prior, the Appollo 11 mission successfully landed on the moon!

1658857889893.jpeg

I have restored and created many restomods in my day, but this one is too perfect to chop up. I am going for a patina build and will bring it back to 100% stock. I have two young kids, so I don't get a lot of time these days, but I'll keep posted as I make progress. Let the journey begin!

Greetings all. I'm actually starting to make some progress on my build so I figured I should start a build thread. Here is the first pic I took when I found it.

View attachment 3069620

So the story. My neighbor accross the road was talking to my wife about an old "jeep" she was about to put up for sale. I'm the kind of guy that always has his head on swivel looking for the next project so I immediatley hoofed it over there. I've known this neighbor for a bit but it wasn't much of a relationship beyond a friendly hello. Her husband had recently passed. She had sold off a half a dozen CJ5s and this was what was left. The cab was filled with a box of FJ40 parts and a bunch of Jeep stuff.

View attachment 3069627

View attachment 3069629

View attachment 3069630

Apparently my neighbor told a few other people about the land cruiser and by the next day, there was already a couple people trying to get it. At the time I had no idea how rare an off market find like this was. After some back and forth we landed on a price. I won out because my plans were the same as here husbands. Restore it and drive it. The other buyers seemed like flippers who smelled some quick cash.

I am technically the third owner. PO bought this from the original owner in 2002/2003 and then parked it in his shop. He drove it there. I am told that it runs but smokes a bit. It's 95% original and OEM. It has the original spare tire. The other 4 rims have the correct date code. There are a few bits on the cooling system that were replaced with what look like parts from a plumbers work truck. I'll get those back to OEM.

It came with a stack of service records from various Toyota dealerships dating back to the early 70s. When I get some time I'll post some pics of these receipts. You all will get a kick out of some of these prices! Original owner was a navy guy. His card is still stapled to the service booklet. This was built in 6/66-7/66, titled as a 1967. Original owner took delivery on Dec 5, 1969 though. Maybe he was deployed? Just 6 months prior, the Appollo 11 mission successfully landed on the moon!

View attachment 3069631

I have restored and created many restomods in my day, but this one is too perfect to chop up. I am going for a patina build and will bring it back to 100% stock. I have two young kids, so I don't get a lot of time these days, but I'll keep posted as I make progress. Let the journey begin!
Lucky dog! Glad this found the right home.

That is a May or June built 1966, sold as a '67. Be sure you are looking up '66 specs and parts when restoring. Mine is a March 1966, sold as a 1967. Yours was the 1,108 vehicle built after mine! The registration laws were different back in the day.
Dyno

Also your BEZEL is upside-down!

By the VIN the build date is 5/66. Seems strange it would not have sold for over three years. I bought a 10/69 build date 70 model year and it was sold March 1970. Was there a round brass tag under one of the four screws of the plaque on the right fender? During the early/mid sixties a brass tag was added showing the year sold if one sat long enough. The December 5th is probably 1966. The second 6 could be a 6 not a nine. It was written the same way as the previous 6. Model years generally start months ahead of the calendar year. Besides my 70 have a 68 FJ40 manufactured 9/67. First registered in AZ November 1967. A number of changes between 67 and 68. Mine has the 68 changes. Few are the heater, padded dash and F145. I was the second owner since 1974.

That is a May or June built 1966, sold as a '67. Be sure you are looking up '66 specs and parts when restoring. Mine is a March 1966, sold as a 1967. Yours was the 1,108 vehicle built after mine! The registration laws were different back in the day.
Dyno

Also your BEZEL is upside-down!
You are correct, looks like 5/66 or 6/66. I've already hit a few snags with the brakes and mid-year changes :/

And yeah, what's with the flipping of the bezel? I've already flipped it back over but this must have been done well over 20 years ago.

What started the trend? Just because? Everyone calls the bezel police 🚨 these days, so the trend seems to be over.

By the VIN the build date is 5/66. Seems strange it would not have sold for over three years. I bought a 10/69 build date 70 model year and it was sold March 1970. Was there a round brass tag under one of the four screws of the plaque on the right fender? During the early/mid sixties a brass tag was added showing the year sold if one sat long enough. The December 5th is probably 1966. The second 6 could be a 6 not a nine. It was written the same way as the previous 6. Model years generally start months ahead of the calendar year. Besides my 70 have a 68 FJ40 manufactured 9/67. First registered in AZ November 1967. A number of changes between 67 and 68. Mine has the 68 changes. Few are the heater, padded dash and F145. I was the second owner since 1974.

True, that could be a 6 and not a 9. I'll do some more digging. There is a brass tag stamped T-67.

Alright! Another PNW 40 owner :D Looking forward to this build. My firewall tag is 66 but I have a 1965 that was built in early 1964 :D Funny how some sat so long.

At least 1966 and 1967 parts are almost all the same.

That is a great start!

Alright! Another PNW 40 owner :D Looking forward to this build. My firewall tag is 66 but I have a 1965 that was built in early 1964 :D Funny how some sat so long.
Thanks! This is the rig I was PM'ing you about regarding the early water pump. If you are able to find it and are close, hit me up!

And yeah, what's with the flipping of the bezel? I've already flipped it back over but this must have been done well over 20 years ago.

What started the trend? Just because? Everyone calls the bezel police 🚨 these days, so the trend seems to be over.

Bezel police have been around as long as I've been on mud. Best picture I can find on my phone. Look closely at the bezel on the one on the left. That might help explain the orientation.
20220410_121615.jpg

These didn't have a TOYOTA emblem in the grill. When the TOYOTA emblem started it was mounted so it was centered top to bottom with the thick section on the top.

Here is a pic of when I got it home.

1659043946795.png

My plan is to go through the brake system first. I am about 60% done with that already (posts and pics to follow). Haven't touched the e-brake yet. I'm stuck right now looking for a set of rear wheel cylinders. I have rebuild kits but 1 of them is too roached to rebuild. Well, unless I can't source any.

If anyone has some laying around, hit me up. They just need to be in rebuild-able shape and apparently a really early design style.

Next up will be the coolant system, then fuel, then electrical basics, then I'll try to start her up. We'll see how that goes haha. I've already started with some of the coolant system while I'm blocked on the brakes.

There is some rust but not to but to bad. I'll post some pics.

Here is a pic of when I got it home.

View attachment 3071699

My plan is to go through the brake system first. I am about 60% done with that already (posts and pics to follow). Haven't touched the e-brake yet. I'm stuck right now looking for a set of rear wheel cylinders. I have rebuild kits but 1 of them is too roached to rebuild. Well, unless I can't source any.

If anyone has some laying around, hit me up. They just need to be in rebuild-able shape and apparently a really early design style.

Next up will be the coolant system, then fuel, then electrical basics, then I'll try to start her up. We'll see how that goes haha. I've already started with some of the coolant system while I'm blocked on the brakes.

There is some rust but not to but to bad. I'll post some pics.
I don't know anything about wheel cylinder differences, but FJ parts shows these made in japan wheel cylinders for $160 per axle as being for 1963-7/1970 FJ40's:

or available individually on this page:

Your truck will have the weird / early 11mm brake fittings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom