PLEASE HELP: Fuel line, separator, charcoal canister, hell. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Millardo

'72 FJ40
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Restoring a 3/1972 FJ40, and since it's been 5 years, I can't remember which tank outlets go where. Rather than clutter the post with what I think I remember, can someone please tell me what goes where? Can't seam to find a layout diagram anywhere.

The top view has the outlets/inlets numbered, and the other 2 side view are for easier identification.

Thank-you in advance!

Chris
fuel tank.jpg
Fuel tank2.jpg
Fuel tank 3.jpg

there you go, good luck on the restoration!!

coolfj40_2106_7741165.jpg

in principle, the lines go to the same places, only that your fuel vapor return dealio (the "separator") is in the back of the middle of the bench seat - only used in a few months of '72 and late '71

when you look at the pics on this site, orient yourself by the '73 drawing http://www.sor.com/sor/cat168.tam?page.ctx=cat168.tam

Thanks,

I wish I had taken a few pictures before I took it all apart. Who could have known it would be 5 years...

Anyone have any pictures of their '72, with the fuel separator located in the back of the center seat? Just need to see how the hoses are connected.

Thank-you DSRTRDR and merlinridesagain. I think I'm starting to get it... The connection on the far left(#6) near the filler neck runs all the way to the fuel separator, then from the separator all the way back to the same side, so as to connect to the line coming up out of the floor(#7), which runs to the charcoal canister in the engine compartment.

From the way I had it,
#6 goes to the right most middle seat connection
#5 to the filler breather
#4 goes to the 2nd from left in the middle seat
#3 goes to the left most middle seat connection

Not on the tank:
2nd from right on middle seat goes to hole 7, with a T back to the rear canister and the other part going to the VSV tube on the driver's side wheel well.

The canister returns also down hole 7, or another one close by to the air filter.

Close:

the last picture with "6?" goes to hole #7 down to the engine bay, just before going down the hole there is a T joint to make a run to the rear canister at the back.

last picture "7?" should be 6

So like this.

In my case there isn't a T and a rear canister. Just a straight run to the charcoal canister mounted on the passenger side fender. That much I remember.

Thank-you so much!

Chris
Long Beach, Ca
Seat Evaporator2.jpg

I don't have the rear cannister, either - and only three lines to the seat dealio, IIRC

my truck is currently 1500 miles away - if I need to take pics by the end of the month, send me a PM to remind me

Early 1972 FJ40 hose routing

My FJ is also Early 1972, March I think. Took it apart 3 years ago but made some sketches first of the hose routing. There is also a sheet metal trim panel that goes across the lower edge of the passenger seat that has 1 or 2 steel lines welded to it that ties in with the middle seat canister. Too late to go out to the garage and figure it out tonight. If you are still having problems in a few days I can dig it out.

correct on the trim panel, I have that, too

Thanks you guys, I also have the trim panel with the two long steel lines attached. I want to be sure I have this correct. Anyone else with an early '72 that can weigh in on the order of the connections? Here is a synopsis so you don't have to read the entire thread.

1-Fuel Line
2-Fuel Line run and fuel tank sender electrical hole
3,4,5,6,7- Connections to Fuel Separator in back of middle seat
7-Runs to the Charcoal Canister along the underside passenger rail.

Photos:
Seat Evaporator2.jpg
fuel tank.jpg

I run the fuel tank sender wire in the cab - I think that's also how I found it (some PO might have relocated it since my transmission tunnel had to be cut when the 4spd went in)

Early 1972 FJ40 hose routing

I may not be of much help. I dug out my dis-assembly notes from July 09. On my '72 the canister in the middle seat panel has been bypassed by some previous owner. Notes read "Seat back canister 4 lines cut".
In case it helps to figure something out here's how mine was plumbed. Viewed from behind the truck looking at the back of the passenger seat.

Tank connection #4 connects to the left end of the lower of the 2 lines welded to the seat back panel. the other end of that line connects through hole #7 in the floor, forward to engine compartment & bottom connection of the evap canister. Tank connection #3 was connected to the left end of the upper, larger steel tube welded on that seat panel with the right end of that tube connected to your tank connection #6. Clearly this is not right because it is a line out of then right back into the tank. Tank connection 5 is the filler neck vent.

Looking at the 4 connections on the back of the separator calling them from left to right A,B,C & D it appears clear that the A connects to 3. B connects to 4. C probably connects to lower steel line in trim panel than through hole 7. D connects to upper steel line in trim panel then to 6. I could have C & D reversed.

Glad to read Cleg's description is the same as my setup.

For complete clarity a picture of the passenger backing plate with the two fixed lines would need to be included as separate hook ups. Then showing short stub connections between the middle chair and that plate, then from that plate to hole 7 and connector 6 on the tank. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom