71 FJ40 A work in progress... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well it's taken me about a year to take the jump and bring a 40 home, but today was the day. It's been pretty hard to find one that hasn't been too modified, but I think this is as close as I'm going to get.

It's an 8/71 that seems to have lived in Northern California for most of it's life. The first 20 years on a ranch in Fairfield, then the next 19 in Sacramento, but a lot of flat towing around the Rocky mountains.

The PO decided the paint wasn't stealth enough for hunting so sprayed it :/

This isn't going to be a jump into a restoration, but more of a slow drive/update journey....

IMG_4556.jpg

IMG_4559.jpg

IMG_4560.jpg
IMG_4556.jpg
IMG_4559.jpg
IMG_4560.jpg

Apart from checking over fluids, brakes and just getting familiar with how it runs there are a couple of drivability things I need to address: speedo and some instrument gauges don't work and there was no roll bar.

Light was dropping so the photos aren't the best. The PO threw a bunch of parts he thinks go with the truck. Not sure what the long white tube is for though :)

Well the journey starts, and I doubt I would start if I hadn't read all the good stories and helpful threads here. So thanks all for sharing.

IMG_4563.jpg

IMG_4566.jpg

So given the location of the oil filter (just see the white top on the passenger side of the engine) it looks like an F1.5 engine. That and the rebuild receipt # F521925 suggests a range of (9/73 - 4/74). So an engine replacement was done at some point, and a "rebuild": hone, hot tank, lifter reface, cam bearings, and oil pump (7/98).

IMG_4561.jpg
IMG_4563.jpg
IMG_4566.jpg
IMG_4561.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a great start for a journey, with power steering to boot ! Oh, can't help you with the white pipe either. Have fun !:beer:

Appears to be in great shape overall. I think the white pole is a beach umbrella holder.

real nice truck, looks pretty stock. That pole has nothing to do with the fj40, and a 1971 did not come with a roll bar. I assume it leaks oil based on the cardboard, but you could have also used that to look under it. Give us some good pictures of the interior also. Is it three on the tree?

Nice find congrats

My 73' came with a similar white pole, the PO said it was to adjust the passenger side mirror. It works for me!

Awesome find, looks to be a great starting point.

You've got a nice rig with the original seats and jump seats. and the seller even threw in a white man's didgerido!:D

I'm sure I could find a lot of uses for that white pole :) Good ideas though.

There are a few welded on accessories. The rear receiver is about a foot long and forms a T with an additional 2" square cross member that is welded to each side of the frame. The front flat tow device looks like it's welded through the stock bumper to the frame horns. So some cutting is needed in the near future.

I found one interior shot. It's a 3spd column shift. Looks like a white stick on cover was placed over the dash pad, which is probably cracked below. The head liner seems to be a carpet like material, thin, but not the vinyl headliner I was expecting.

There is some clutch chatter/judder in first, although driving it home about 12miles seemed to make it go away a bit.

I have a pile of receipts to go through to work out what was changed when. It's had an engine rebuild at some point a couple of starters a water pump. What is puzzling right now is the engine number on the rebuild receipt, if it really is that, points to a 73 F engine rather than a lower number 71.

Lots to learn and figure out. Keep on pointing out the non-stock items, it's nice to know what was added/missing etc - thanks.

IMG_4557.jpg
IMG_4557.jpg

Last edited:
This weekend I managed to spend some time checking things over. Things aren't too bad fortunately :) When I first bought the car I was most concerned about frame/tub rust/rot and that it could drive. Low expectations I know.

With a couple of hours to spare I checked the brake drums, plugs, engine bay fluids and was pretty happy with the results. It does look like I have a possible valve cover leak with some finding its way to the alternator belt and splattering the front.

IMG_6927.jpg

IMG_6930.jpg

IMG_6931.jpg

If it's just this then I've heard swapping that steel valve cover will address that?
IMG_6927.jpg
IMG_6930.jpg
IMG_6931.jpg

Next stop was the transmission fluids. Didn't get to check them, spent most of the time trying to work out where the leaks are coming from. It's probably leaving a drip the size of a quater on the cardboard.

First leak is someone from the rear main?
IMG_6961.jpg

The oil sump pan, except by the rear area is dry, so that is probably holding up.

The other wet areas are the xfer case. I'm guessing here I have the xfer/transmission seal problem as there is some seepage from the top of the xfer case:

IMG_6941.jpg

IMG_6963.jpg

It's here where I can understand where people want to rip things all apart and do a frame off. It's 40yrs of dirt/grime. But I know if I do that it'll be down for years and not months :) As tempting as it is...
IMG_6961.jpg
IMG_6941.jpg
IMG_6963.jpg

Last edited:
Final leak seems to be the rear pinion seal?

IMG_6945.jpg

So quite a bit to do in the next week. The first being getting the license plat door installed that the PO threw in the back. And a lamp just bought from classifieds installed.

IMG_6938.jpg

Did anyone spot the missing battery clamps in the posts above? Well that and putting a working horn on should finish off the safety issues I can think of/see.

A trip to NAPA to get fluids/plugs/crush washers is in order and I'll change out all the fluids and confirm if the xfer case really is full.

Hopefully I can put off the pinion and rear main drips for a while as I'd like to drive it a bit and enjoy it :D
IMG_6945.jpg
IMG_6938.jpg

Have to look if CA has a law against broken speedos. The arm has fallen off and the digits don't go around.

IMG_6936.jpg

The oil pressure seems to be working and maybe the fuel/amp gauges but temp is out and replaced with an aftermarket below.
IMG_6936.jpg

I am in So Cal, and have not had a working speedo in the 10 years I have owned my 40. I would not open a can of worm by telling anyone that it does not work, just get it fixed when you can / want to. My fix is replacing all the gauges with AutoMeter stuff. All are now working EXECPT the speedo :)

Shawn

Nice truck, as a FWIW, oven cleaner works great for cleaning off all that grime. Don't wast money on those fancy grease cleaners. As for the Speedo, there is a guy here in Reno that repairs them.

I am in So Cal, and have not had a working speedo in the 10 years I have owned my 40. I would not open a can of worm by telling anyone that it does not work, just get it fixed when you can / want to. My fix is replacing all the gauges with AutoMeter stuff. All are now working EXECPT the speedo :)

Definitely, It's not like I need it to prevent speeding too much :D

Nice truck, as a FWIW, oven cleaner works great for cleaning off all that grime. Don't wast money on those fancy grease cleaners. As for the Speedo, there is a guy here in Reno that repairs them.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Once I address the fluids and get driving I'll work on the speedo. Still got to work out if the cable even works.

Well it had to happen sooner or later - the first set back.

After finding some white/gray gunk in the radiator overflow I ordered a compression tester. It seems like the engine is toast :(

front to back (1-6)
1 - 128
2 - 132
3 - 125
4 - 112 (135 w)
5 - 130
6 - 98 (150w)

I checked the radiator when I first bought it and things looked green and clear. The oil looks normal - dark no milkiness.

I was hoping to drive it around for a while before doing anything major, now I've got to start hoping I win an ebay engine auction.

On the positive side, I took it around the side of the house to wash it with my 5yr old. With all the rain I managed to sink into some mud on one side. It was then I hoped the front axle was going to engage as the FD pull is frozen. Locked the hubs and got out.

So in the near future I'll need to take this 1.5F out and get a cheap replacement short term, and maybe rebuild the 1.5F long term...

There is some clutch chatter/judder in first, although driving it home about 12miles seemed to make it go away a bit.

I have a pile of receipts to go through to work out what was changed when. It's had an engine rebuild at some point a couple of starters a water pump. What is puzzling right now is the engine number on the rebuild receipt, if it really is that, points to a 73 F engine rather than a lower number 71.

Lots to learn and figure out. Keep on pointing out the non-stock items, it's nice to know what was added/missing etc - thanks.

View attachment 507185
looks exactly like my rig...exept your tub looks really good!

my clutch also chatters at t/o. good luck with her!

and a 1971 did not come with a roll bar.

Mine didn't come with a rollbar either. Its a 73...was this common cjgoode? what would have to be done if one wanted to attach a rollbar? sorry for the hyjack but maybe it will help us both out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom