Builds PLC build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey, looks like you've figured out getting cold air where I haven't yet so I'd say it's great tech! It gives me more ideas the different setups I see. I'm pretty sure metal cutting will be necessary in some way. You going to use some "heat" tape on your intake tube?

What is the ratio that your new gearing gives you?

We definitely got to do something, I haven't even wheeled with your V8 converted race car yet. If I ever get my torque converter back we should do some snow stuff... once the snow really gets here.

Yes, I'm planning on wrapping the entire intake with insulation. That will be the final step. Over the next couple of days, I plan on getting the air box mounted and mated to that vent. Once that's done, I'll wrap everything.

The gearing on the Orion is 4:1. Beats the heck out of the 2.3:1 of the stock transfer case. I just need to figure out why its still popping out of gear. That's the next project on my list.

And yes, lets do some wheeling this winter. I'll be in touch.

Looks great, and should make a world of difference in IAT. I used the same air filter housing for mine, but to help safe some space, I made my own flange and removed the mass air flow sensor portion of the housing. It saved a great deal of space.

Another thin to consider for you engine compartment is the remote tranny cooler. I had mine mounted similar to that, but it seems to just circulate more hot air. Regardless of pushing or pulling the air, everything under the hood is hot air. I moved mine to the rear under the bed area. Just another consideration.

Looks great, and should make a world of difference in IAT. I used the same air filter housing for mine, but to help safe some space, I made my own flange and removed the mass air flow sensor portion of the housing. It saved a great deal of space.

That was a great idea. Thanks! So, I did the same. I just cut off the housing after the flange and got rid of the mass air flow sensor. Works great.

Another thin to consider for you engine compartment is the remote tranny cooler. I had mine mounted similar to that, but it seems to just circulate more hot air. Regardless of pushing or pulling the air, everything under the hood is hot air. I moved mine to the rear under the bed area. Just another consideration.

And great minds... I have been planning on doing this for some time. I agree, there is enough hot air in the engine compartment without the tranny cooler. I built a mount under the rear bed and am moving it there. I'm currently just waiting for some AN fittings to plumb it all in.

More work.

GsV4N4BI6rz4pSjtjgPGd1RBkjLVYdckrUr0uL_4vnlF1oiZ8b6NaeuQ8a3Zpqe6F_SbG6xV4rlcfjFAiy7j0ehidIstMhuiSOgy9rI8ttxGClZAgc2jIXdsx3t0FLjwwA260iRdpRs=w2400

OC3zOBsJO7f1h3VIuyet4tz9FrakggEgJr5PYXIS9OMkYvZ5BmCXW1P6ZuMNNVEHr2VDG2lFr-1iTUFNgK7hvZ8j4svdyUcZNNgiR4taLSXC06LaGqOpuEVy-AGm9T_HNzKfnyhuTiw=w2400

fpJukyYdhkt6-RKEvXhV6991PDIY4aMcHqf3raYdDKtvBG7PFYEJfyVTGu0EK__rYXx0G4BlBiHDNFLtLxRW_8TXzd82WwU2new2VAGwQ9-GtSb1FfSU223DfatT4Q7Qb6QDPjLFPkE=w2400

DW40GhlPtZME5dJZFZdTF8RQfE6OgDHIghVOlWOllSw4xXPybrPGWYpMRjPrGMNBUrYa-1Kx9LPnbPUfs2Vxaa95bSP2mx1tYXH92Q-VJfJxYj8j1Zd0zs5PhryokacUtXBB0xPQMak=w2400

Once I had that done, I built a simple platform for the housing. I also made a simple U bracket to hold it to the radiator support. It's pretty easy to fit without the rear part of the housing to deal with.

DgXSI6yjqg8SUaUVD5FWALtuiqF4zMI9U_-OEZu4dv2gLvSVHNJfR8jlDE9-RssKdrj6WrJQ1tBQK5VoHgpxZvLD5O1ybR2rwN3EhZ9NNWvCUgNiFffb6XMXNK2VZjvv09_CjMxtsrI=w2400

8uNh3P-T8ku_vkPAwPLOfDMORwSHzGke6fxxfC_EmvXMUXSHtMLuqUMvklReehT2kkQdry0P6DRnBrBi99vARKHftTHxgcyfnc-I9HIJi7vVBBcruj7TMYCIrc-zBH8MJXvQ6_F8dxU=w2400

I still need to wrap everything with insulation and paint the vent, but for all intents and purposes, the intake is done. This should work for getting cool air. 🤞 At the very least, it should work better than what I had.

I'm moving the pcm, fuse block and power distribution block to the passenger side where the transmission cooler formerly resided. With the air filter on the driver's side, I had to move the pcm anyway. It just made sense to put it where the cooler was.

SC_vFmmeF4vvkk7fjZlR9_xUhvPo2r4CzvaZaiwoqvErEy6vnP6O8IBo_HRZ4bQESHaPsbYTko0YXlgUbQfzr_z0Pjwn8LJVzzC9M-WNnRcTkIV1cvNif5US80NDImAgt0TOyqsC4y0=w2400

The mount I made for the driver's side for the pcm kinda works for the passenger side, but I'm going to redo it. It just doesn't fit well enough. I also need to make a mount for the fuse block. And then clean up that wiring mess. 🤮 Surprisingly, I only need to extend one wire by moving everything to the passenger side. I was kind of surprised by that.

Amazon should be bringing me my AN fittings and hose on Sunday, so I can plumb in the tranny cooler. Then I can take this for a test drive and see what kind of IAT temps I'm getting. Oh, and I need to give a shout out to Manns69. He's the one that gave me the cowl vent. He was upset I didn't mention him in my last post. Sometimes he has little girl feelings... :rofl:

I love this 40... can't wait to get mine built. It's going to be Capri-ish blue too. Have you been able to find an off the shelf spray paint that's a close match?

I love this 40... can't wait to get mine built. It's going to be Capri-ish blue too. Have you been able to find an off the shelf spray paint that's a close match?

Thank you! I wish there was an aerosol option. Nothing I have found is even close. Mine is a single stage paint, so at least I can paint over it pretty easily.. I always keep a little bit on hand to touch up areas. I bought a cheap Harbor Freight spray gun kit years ago that came with a small gun in the kit. It works perfect for touch ups. I'll probably use it for this too.

That was a great idea. Thanks! So, I did the same. I just cut off the housing after the flange and got rid of the mass air flow sensor. Works great.

And great minds... I have been planning on doing this for some time. I agree, there is enough hot air in the engine compartment without the tranny cooler. I built a mount under the rear bed and am moving it there. I'm currently just waiting for some AN fittings to plumb it all in.
Thank you! I wish there was an aerosol option. Nothing I have found is even close. Mine is a single stage paint, so at least I can paint over it pretty easily.. I always keep a little bit on hand to touch up areas. I bought a cheap Harbor Freight spray gun kit years ago that came with a small gun in the kit. It works perfect for touch ups. I'll probably use it for this too.

Me too, always have some ready for touch up. I didn't have any luck finding anything close in aerosol for. I took my kick panel to reno and bought some decent matched single stage. I always get pumped when I see a Capri blue cruiser. My favorite color hands down!

More work.

GsV4N4BI6rz4pSjtjgPGd1RBkjLVYdckrUr0uL_4vnlF1oiZ8b6NaeuQ8a3Zpqe6F_SbG6xV4rlcfjFAiy7j0ehidIstMhuiSOgy9rI8ttxGClZAgc2jIXdsx3t0FLjwwA260iRdpRs=w2400

OC3zOBsJO7f1h3VIuyet4tz9FrakggEgJr5PYXIS9OMkYvZ5BmCXW1P6ZuMNNVEHr2VDG2lFr-1iTUFNgK7hvZ8j4svdyUcZNNgiR4taLSXC06LaGqOpuEVy-AGm9T_HNzKfnyhuTiw=w2400

fpJukyYdhkt6-RKEvXhV6991PDIY4aMcHqf3raYdDKtvBG7PFYEJfyVTGu0EK__rYXx0G4BlBiHDNFLtLxRW_8TXzd82WwU2new2VAGwQ9-GtSb1FfSU223DfatT4Q7Qb6QDPjLFPkE=w2400

DW40GhlPtZME5dJZFZdTF8RQfE6OgDHIghVOlWOllSw4xXPybrPGWYpMRjPrGMNBUrYa-1Kx9LPnbPUfs2Vxaa95bSP2mx1tYXH92Q-VJfJxYj8j1Zd0zs5PhryokacUtXBB0xPQMak=w2400

Once I had that done, I built a simple platform for the housing. I also made a simple U bracket to hold it to the radiator support. It's pretty easy to fit without the rear part of the housing to deal with.

DgXSI6yjqg8SUaUVD5FWALtuiqF4zMI9U_-OEZu4dv2gLvSVHNJfR8jlDE9-RssKdrj6WrJQ1tBQK5VoHgpxZvLD5O1ybR2rwN3EhZ9NNWvCUgNiFffb6XMXNK2VZjvv09_CjMxtsrI=w2400

8uNh3P-T8ku_vkPAwPLOfDMORwSHzGke6fxxfC_EmvXMUXSHtMLuqUMvklReehT2kkQdry0P6DRnBrBi99vARKHftTHxgcyfnc-I9HIJi7vVBBcruj7TMYCIrc-zBH8MJXvQ6_F8dxU=w2400

I still need to wrap everything with insulation and paint the vent, but for all intents and purposes, the intake is done. This should work for getting cool air. 🤞 At the very least, it should work better than what I had.

I'm moving the pcm, fuse block and power distribution block to the passenger side where the transmission cooler formerly resided. With the air filter on the driver's side, I had to move the pcm anyway. It just made sense to put it where the cooler was.

SC_vFmmeF4vvkk7fjZlR9_xUhvPo2r4CzvaZaiwoqvErEy6vnP6O8IBo_HRZ4bQESHaPsbYTko0YXlgUbQfzr_z0Pjwn8LJVzzC9M-WNnRcTkIV1cvNif5US80NDImAgt0TOyqsC4y0=w2400

The mount I made for the driver's side for the pcm kinda works for the passenger side, but I'm going to redo it. It just doesn't fit well enough. I also need to make a mount for the fuse block. And then clean up that wiring mess. 🤮 Surprisingly, I only need to extend one wire by moving everything to the passenger side. I was kind of surprised by that.

Amazon should be bringing me my AN fittings and hose on Sunday, so I can plumb in the tranny cooler. Then I can take this for a test drive and see what kind of IAT temps I'm getting. Oh, and I need to give a shout out to Manns69. He's the one that gave me the cowl vent. He was upset I didn't mention him in my last post. Sometimes he has little girl feelings... :rofl:
Really like how you did the air intake, I may have to do something similar in the summer

I finally got everything buttoned up yesterday. In all, I completely reworked my air intake, moved the transmission cooler to under the bed, moved my air compressor (it was in the way of the tranny cooler's new spot), and moved all my wiring to the passenger side from the driver's side. And after going for a drive today, I'm going to call it a success. Intake air temps were down significantly.

JdYc0Gq16_-obaoWclMDTU7Bdo0-SZBGOtjxJV7VdEaCevDOhrLspl-RgEXO6DhiOQK7AoBmQRZIk9TOkVKPtRn4MtkfqoJ40YT6WwdnWk4hK-Mby_deu5MczD2CGAQoQognK6KypEk=w2400

AV9GCojhDCL8KgSIxpr2wwWXzbeiY_o_N1bDN_yD-s8kM3DWYIkrQEL1s0RCTKBYUP7jANsiAOOhphsp3iNi82Ur4DQRMQtQ2cy8CYBWabXDvUIYrq9Z56WiprS_3YF9hRNDeMxXjS0=w2400

-NhhIQ-goVba26KYh3IBwmC6yyGs6eVuc6MjNiWhiPcuScyDiT-J3lazQF961Z3qtM4r9i8m4oJZJPczIpclmtwABG7D2Lg_IiqqlXl02-HqDQpjk9PqW712VaEg3-GJ6lWYWLCvc7w=w2400

eKzvN3d4cyUGGujZ6lH5KxrbA9JCCdgK5x-8WksxoK03gmvw6DPCaHQoezAFIMoEsy8cED9W7mtByn4v1Ov_I4HKj_JArfQtOgySEotRO_A0kUHjGV72FNNRTN4lpIaWmG3b8hpILYk=w2400

As you can see, I have not yet wrapped the intake with any insulation. I wanted to see what kind of temps I was getting without insulation. So, today, I went for a little test drive up into the mountains.

tJUn3DjnZfMk3cRfjFfrmkrKxNoGze8laqZta478i-k6UCSUzh5IQcYEobEEM5j7m0_TNmSojE13kZAf_QKGFBy23UyojdpYYnAR2WsmLAnqQGPfEvoHUsUsJozWfTrc9fwTSbcurHc=w2400

The hottest I saw the IAT get was I think 108 degrees. I really think that was due to heat soak. It was after a long, steep climb and then I shut off the motor and sat for a bit (3-4 min). Coming back down the hill, it took a good 5 minutes to get the IAT down to about 90 degrees. But I think everything under the hood at that point was pretty well hot. Ambient temps were in the low 40s. Most of the time, the IATs stayed in the 70-85 degree range. But that just reaffirms to me that I need some insulation on all the piping. However, those numbers are a HUGE improvement over what it was previously. I'm going to call this a win!

Next up, tear my Orion apart... again.

More work.

Those genuine Toyota parts are gonna cost you. I’m glad we came up with this plan I think it turned out great I’m a genius I know now all have to get you to start bending me some sheet metal so I can make mine

I finally got everything buttoned up yesterday. In all, I completely reworked my air intake, moved the transmission cooler to under the bed, moved my air compressor (it was in the way of the tranny cooler's new spot), and moved all my wiring to the passenger side from the driver's side. And after going for a drive today, I'm going to call it a success. Intake air temps were down significantly.

JdYc0Gq16_-obaoWclMDTU7Bdo0-SZBGOtjxJV7VdEaCevDOhrLspl-RgEXO6DhiOQK7AoBmQRZIk9TOkVKPtRn4MtkfqoJ40YT6WwdnWk4hK-Mby_deu5MczD2CGAQoQognK6KypEk=w2400

AV9GCojhDCL8KgSIxpr2wwWXzbeiY_o_N1bDN_yD-s8kM3DWYIkrQEL1s0RCTKBYUP7jANsiAOOhphsp3iNi82Ur4DQRMQtQ2cy8CYBWabXDvUIYrq9Z56WiprS_3YF9hRNDeMxXjS0=w2400

-NhhIQ-goVba26KYh3IBwmC6yyGs6eVuc6MjNiWhiPcuScyDiT-J3lazQF961Z3qtM4r9i8m4oJZJPczIpclmtwABG7D2Lg_IiqqlXl02-HqDQpjk9PqW712VaEg3-GJ6lWYWLCvc7w=w2400

eKzvN3d4cyUGGujZ6lH5KxrbA9JCCdgK5x-8WksxoK03gmvw6DPCaHQoezAFIMoEsy8cED9W7mtByn4v1Ov_I4HKj_JArfQtOgySEotRO_A0kUHjGV72FNNRTN4lpIaWmG3b8hpILYk=w2400

As you can see, I have not yet wrapped the intake with any insulation. I wanted to see what kind of temps I was getting without insulation. So, today, I went for a little test drive up into the mountains.

tJUn3DjnZfMk3cRfjFfrmkrKxNoGze8laqZta478i-k6UCSUzh5IQcYEobEEM5j7m0_TNmSojE13kZAf_QKGFBy23UyojdpYYnAR2WsmLAnqQGPfEvoHUsUsJozWfTrc9fwTSbcurHc=w2400

The hottest I saw the IAT get was I think 108 degrees. I really think that was due to heat soak. It was after a long, steep climb and then I shut off the motor and sat for a bit (3-4 min). Coming back down the hill, it took a good 5 minutes to get the IAT down to about 90 degrees. But I think everything under the hood at that point was pretty well hot. Ambient temps were in the low 40s. Most of the time, the IATs stayed in the 70-85 degree range. But that just reaffirms to me that I need some insulation on all the piping. However, those numbers are a HUGE improvement over what it was previously. I'm going to call this a win!

Next up, tear my Orion apart... again.
I’m back again with another question- hoping to learn from your experience. I’m finally to the point of finding routing for my air intake and wondering if you had any more thoughts on your relocation effort. My tub has the louvres to replicate your location, so I’m one step closer.
image.jpg
I wanted to make sure you’re still happy with that location and the overall performance.
Does it whistle? Did it need the insulation? It provides enough air flow( I have a stock build)? Thanks again

I’m back again with another question- hoping to learn from your experience. I’m finally to the point of finding routing for my air intake and wondering if you had any more thoughts on your relocation effort. My tub has the louvres to replicate your location, so I’m one step closer. View attachment 2697243I wanted to make sure you’re still happy with that location and the overall performance.
Does it whistle? Did it need the insulation? It provides enough air flow( I have a stock build)? Thanks again
I did end up wrapping it with insulation. It definitely helped with the temps. I haven't had any issues with lack of airflow, and I can't hear any whistling. But then again, I'm deaf and 40s are loud! 😂 Overall, I'm still very happy with it. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I definitely recommend it.
IfK_dCJ8YiWBrtanP1wZz9iKrJBfA6nho3NWCkkgnJdkEXgANuC9P7NPAJD9qKpBPdHhbL8TyHdBaKJTC4bbvZI9C9LQzmWUo5PPX6b4rb_nYYsW9PcmNeMmLk4HjdkAxtzBLcqLm5I=w2400

Last edited:
I did end up wrapping it with insulation. It definitely helped with the temps. I haven't had any issues with lack of airflow, and I can't hear any whistling. But then again, I'm deaf and 40s are loud! 😂 Overall, I'm still very happy with it. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I definitely recommend it.
IfK_dCJ8YiWBrtanP1wZz9iKrJBfA6nho3NWCkkgnJdkEXgANuC9P7NPAJD9qKpBPdHhbL8TyHdBaKJTC4bbvZI9C9LQzmWUo5PPX6b4rb_nYYsW9PcmNeMmLk4HjdkAxtzBLcqLm5I=w2400
Thanks for the quick response.couple other things in the que, but this is coming up quick. I didn’t realize you had bumped up to 40’s. Still on stock axles?

The one thing I don't like is the flex hose. I really wanted to find a molded hose that would work there, but I finally gave up after multiple trips to the auto parts store and online searching. If someone has a hose that works, hit me up! I used the Jags that Run adapter to plumb in the steam fitting.

I don’t know if you solved this, but I wanted to give something back after the help you’ve given me.
For the upper hose I got lucky with just one premolded hose and an ICT coupler with steam port.
7B6FE553-6BCE-4FBB-911B-BB0739A13C3C.jpeg
On the lower it took two hoses and a coupler.
4E89B630-E21F-43FF-BFAB-902A613F7A52.jpeg
Here’s the final product.
7B9AFB64-2025-497F-85E3-4C2128B8E245.jpeg
Thanks for the help you’ve given me

Very nice! I'm still running the flex hose. I'll probably buy those hoses and upgrade. Thanks for the tip!

Very nice! I'm still running the flex hose. I'll probably buy those hoses and upgrade. Thanks for the tip!
Any updates to this rig? This is a great thread, love the upgrade and details. The 40 has the perfect stance for a stock looking trail rig, love it!

Any updates to this rig? This is a great thread, love the upgrade and details. The 40 has the perfect stance for a stock looking trail rig, love it!
Sorry, somehow I missed this.

Not a lot of changes lately. Unfortunately, I havent wheeled much lately. Right after I did the air intake, I went out snow wheeling with Boots and Brokenparts. Everything worked great.

UBHUSv0n2mN2ndw5-tEFb-pgd5_smcE9T9DBsWkbCM3CvcXHmTxTJ8897TVVsKlr1cQo-xoPCYrehtZ8M6Suo2X9LzrJ-dvNxGUZbTF0abPTiaOZOj78N-pV9CMwLUhMkkrSOBvkBBk=w2400

R4rtyRzP5VUX55JsRDbJQQDTgzD6swvezyv0r3cbG049sLWz86m-A4tIr2h2npNCmmMb0mLJjBdshuxMprg3qlLJziqvzDTFXjz2JtStisipdodTgaDm-xvRAImtBxseFRQqlAhg_-Q=w2400

*I had to add a pic of Brokenpart's awesome 45.

I think it was page 5 in this build thread where I mentioned I put in an Orion. I'm still having problems with it. The first problem is that I used the stock vacuum shift linkage that came on my 40. I really do like the vacuum actuated front drive. However, the under dash linkage (this isn't vacuum, just a series of levers) for the high/low is not stout enough. I have to shut off the engine to shift between high/low. Otherwise, the linkage will bend. I've contemplated putting in shift levers, but I'm a sucker for the nostalgia. Honestly, that issue isn't that big of deal, more just an annoyance.

The big issue is that it is still popping out of gear. I have replaced a bunch of parts (shift fork, shift rail, output shaft, and everything AA said can cause it to pop out of gear), and I thought I had it taken care of. I don't drive it a ton, but it hadn't popped out of gear for over a year. While hunting last month, it popped out of gear twice. I need to drop the TC and tear it apart again, but I'm just not looking forward to it. The frustrating thing is, it really isn't that complicated. Its just gears. But, I'm tired of messing with it. I'm half tempted to ship it off to someone to build it right (aka Georg), unless anyone has any good ideas. Seriously. Anyone?

Otherwise, there's been no updates. Overall, I'm happy with it. The 5.3/4L60E combo is a pleasure to drive. Last summer, my daughter's car died, so she drove it for about 2 months while we figured out the car situation. It worked great around town for her. And that's it for updates. If/when I tear into the transfer case, I'll document it here.

And a picture from hunting this fall cuz everyone likes pics:

RKKYmLPF2FWFT_YdvMS9JtPgdHj9rfaieLwGbMwDUJujdgPwJYkS7hMy29Gu-1xtmgsFvqIx0V7e5sNXrDVTXLG4VHJM8HzL1ollHIyWnRilfxtdPkPuH8-is-LVJ0ZF6DZivQc7Uc8=w2400

Last edited:
Well, we'll have to hit the snow again this year. It'd be great to hang out again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom