Builds PLC build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, we'll have to hit the snow again this year. It'd be great to hang out again.
Sounds good to me!

And to add another picture, here's our hunting camp. I towed in the 40, and my son drove in my Bronco for a couple of days. My nephew had his side by side in as well. The side by sides are nice, but when it is snowing and blowing, there's something to be said for doors, windows and a heater.

WdHmyfcl1OQk1qCd6RSsrM0Z_rBd7F3elrlRRj7sFYoWvr4qa-a-UuOt27AKabrX2CTazS8xeNb-HV9KVUv9JPgY-9ZCkv2BrBkLXtzbX1ctrWosWeAlHzI7JjJ4viimKWnECy1Qtak=w2400

Last edited:
The big issue is that it is still popping out of gear. I have replaced a bunch of parts (shift fork, shift rail, output shaft, and everything AA said can cause it to pop out of gear), and I thought I had it taken care of. I don't drive it a ton, but it hadn't popped out of gear for over a year. While hunting last month, it popped out of gear twice. I need to drop the TC and tear it apart again, but I'm just not looking forward to it. The frustrating thing is, it really isn't that complicated. It’s just gears. But, I'm tired of messing with it. I'm half tempted to ship it off to someone to build it right (aka Georg), unless anyone has any good ideas. Seriously. Anyone?
Might check out the Orion sticky in the 40 section. There’s a bunch of people that are battling in different ways. I battled it as well and mismatching the shift rod assembly stock and AA. This summer has been a success in terms of the orion staying in gear.

And just like that, a year and a half later, it's time for an update. I said when I tore my Orion apart again, I would document it. So, here it is. This last hunting season, I had the same problem, if not worse, of my transfer case popping out of gear on declines. I ended up posting in the Orion sticky in the 40 series forum. I got some good advice, and sure enough, I found my problem. And that problem is 100% my fault. Going back through the thread, after I built the Orion, I took my 40 up to my elk hunting camp. I flat towed it about 250 miles. I was running late, and decided not to pull the driveshaft. What could go wrong? Well, thanks to @peesalot, I got my answer. I tore down the Orion again...

20240117_130456.jpg

...and found the high speed gear had worn unevenly. It was painfully obvious when I pulled it apart and inspected it. Heck, burned would be a better term.

20240117_131303 (1).jpg

After some great advice from Mark from Mark's Off Road, I inspected the rear output shaft and found it was also worn. With an order already placed for a new high speed gear and an Orion rebuild kit from AA, I quickly added an output shaft to that order.

With it all put back together and installed, it seems to be working fine.

20240216_175042.jpg

I haven't had it on any steep declines since I've rebuilt it, but hopefully soon. Lesson learned (even though I should have, and do, know better), no flat towing with the driveshaft connected! Removing 4 bolts is a lot quicker than rebuilding the transfer case. Cheaper too.

Stay tuned for my next update. Hopefully, it will be less than 1.5 years. However, I don't drive this that much. During hunting season, I usually put on a few hundred miles. The rest of the year, not so much. I drive it when it is nice out. My daughter is now away at college, but drives this when she comes home to visit. She loves it. She tells me how the boys always tell her how awesome her ride is. :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom