Pig drivetrain questions- 2F/H55/Splitcase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So a 60 series pump with oil cooler and this clutch and fan blade will have same dimensions as the without cooler pump? This is great work, guys. I had given up on a clutch option for the pig...

The ‘with’ water pump is exact the same as the ‘without’ pump, only it has the oil cooler n!pple.

I little more follow up on this for anyone that searches it.

The fan has just enough clearance to work the belts on and off with the shroud on.

The shifter holes look like this

The front driveshaft needs to be a pre85 double cardan to clear the crossmember

It also needs to be lengthened 2.5” to 26.5” flange to flange.

Rear driveshaft needs to be 41” which is shorter than the 45.5” pre 85 FJ60 rear shaft and a good bit longer than my 55 rear shaft was.

I little more follow up on this for anyone that searches it.

The fan has just enough clearance to work the belts on and off with the shroud on.

The shifter holes look like this

View attachment 1922194

The front driveshaft needs to be a pre85 double cardan to clear the crossmember

It also needs to be lengthened 2.5” to 26.5” flange to flange.

Rear driveshaft needs to be 41” which is shorter than

Hello !

I stumbled here from your replies on 2F Fan Clearance - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2f-fan-clearance.1245223/ and I'm also interested in these discussions about length of WP+clutch+fan to fit in smaller space.

Playing around with some options, I can get us to 7-3/4" overall height (without the pulley). Even with the thickness of the pulley flange (1/8") we are still well shy of the 8" mark which would give you an inch on the fan to radiator. That is using FJ4x parts with an FJ60 fan blade. I've got more of the FJ4x variant fan blades themselves coming but while they have the correct OD, they have more offset (1/2") so they would kill room. If you're good with the FJ60 fan blade trimmed, easily done with all new parts.

To close the loop on this I got the motor and I have the fan clutch and fan and it’s dead on balls 8” head to tip of the fan.

View attachment 1903320

@cruiseroutfit you say 7-3/4" without pulley and @wngrog you say 8" without pulley too. Did something changed between those 2 measurements or both are with the best fan offset possible ?
Actually on the linked above topic someone give a similar number for the stock clutch setup on a 40 so not too sure of how much is saved with this fan or if it's just hard to have good measurements over a weird shape ?

I got it measured on my 1974 FJ40 (not sure if it's supposed to be the same than a FJ55) the stock setup I have and I find :
Engine block -> front of fan : 18cm (7.1")
Engine block -> back of radiator : 23.2cm (9.1")

1” to spare. 👊

Based on your 8" measured once added the pulley that would be about right for me too. But clearly It would move a lot more inside the F funnel and my fan is already a bit too much inside for my taste so that would be way off on this point. On the 55 did it aligned well with the funnel ?
And based on the topic I came from, is 1" between the fan and the radiator really enough to avoid any contact ?

1629129318040.png

1629129420778.png

Thanks

I would go with Kurt’s measurement. I’m a measure once cut twice guy. Yes the 2F shroud fit correctly
I was not that much implying that one measurement was wrong than questioning if they were supposed to be the same. Original measurement from Kurt was with a FJ60 fan (which is too wide to fit in a 40/55 shroud if I followed correctly) and along the conversation you ended up with a Prado/Tacoma fan that should also have a negative offset.

I guess from your posts that before receiving these fan-clutch combo from Kurt you had a regular 2F setup and it was not fitting between the block and the radiator ?

So the FJ55 also have a smaller shroud for the 2F than for the F?
If I followed everything correctly between the 2 threads that would mean :
- FJ40 : up to 1974 big shroud, 1975+ small shroud for longer pump, 1977+ radiator moved forward to make room for clutch
- FJ55 : up to 1974 medium shroud, 1975+ very small shroud for longer pump, 1977+ no change because impossible to move radiator forward, 1979 thin radiator to accommodate clutch

So on a <=1974 FJ40 your fan+clutch+pump setup would fit but would still need a 2F shroud to have the airflow right ? (but would at least avoid the mess of moving the front cross member and radiator)
Ok I guess I should ask that on the other thread x)

Non related to this thread but interestingly enough the special pump/pulley/non-thermal-clutch for euro-spec 1974-1976 FJ40 (before the thermal-clutch in 1977) was indeed installed on the euro-spec FJ55 up to 1978 : Water pump for Toyota Land Cruiser FJ55LV - Genuine parts - https://toyota-europe.epc-data.com/land_cruiser/fj55lv/8754/engine/1601/16100/

I really don’t know what to tell you All of my FJ40s I have available to look at I’ve swapped in 2Fs. I have a 74 here with a 2F/Fan clutch and F fan shroud I could pull some measures for you. Should be what you need

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom