Builds Picked up a Pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The deck looks like its taking nice shape.

Mighta missed it....Why not just put the box on?
How much did you end up picking a box for? Its an era correct box?

The box is from an ‘84. It’s decent... but not great - needs some metal/body work. But it’s definitely salvageable.
I wanted to do something different. Once the trayback is finished (fold-down sides, headache rack, etc), if it’s not all I’d hoped it’d be, I’ll call the bodyshop and say “Tony, pull that bed off the shelf and... “

A bit more progress on the flatbed. The deck is in place. Later this week, the flatbed comes off and we'll do a lot of welding underneath and on top. The whole thing then goes to powder.

It's starting to feel almost "whole"...

IMG_0195.jpeg

IMG_0183.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking good! The only critic I’ll offer is the way you formed the steel on the front of the tray should carry on to the back. The lines you have in the red square (comrade) should also carry over on the back where the red arrow is pointing. It might make it look a bit too modern/stealth bomber-like, but I think it should either be straight in front or bring the fold around the wrap portion at the back. It’s a bit of work, but not too bad at this point.

How are you going to hold the spare in? I don’t see any ratchet pockets on the driver side of it?

5AD43D2F-EA85-4B28-A371-F0B3AB82A5B0.jpeg

Thanks @joseywales. For the front part of the bed, the idea was to make that the transition from the squared-off back to the more curved panels on the cab. That front section is all flat with two soft bends that follow the body lines of the cab. The back, all slab. When it's all powder-coated to match the body, it should (hopefully blend better). Plus, there will be sides, with hinges, a headache rack - all in black, all disrupting the flow...

This shot shows those lines a little better.
Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 11.49.21 AM.png

Also, the way the front fenders go back out - leaving the cab tucked in... the rear section of the flatbed goes back to that line.

Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 11.55.11 AM.png

The strap shown in that pic holding the spare was temporary. The spare is on a female mount that lands on a male mount - a pin secures it. The hubcap is next ;)

Last edited:
Just back from the upholstery shop. I walked back into the shop, saw the seats and said "Holy $&@% Tony." Tony smiled. I could not be happier with how they turned out.

IMG_0461.jpeg

Just back from the upholstery shop. I walked back into the shop, saw the seats and said "Holy $&@% Tony." Tony smiled. I could not be happier with how they turned out.
Oh boy. Those are sweet. Very nice.

Aside from the new covers, did they replace the foam too?

Since the truck only has 59,000 miles, not a lot of ass time in those seats. Still - time does take its toll on foam. The original seats looked good - shape of the bolsters, etc. So, the upholsterer added foam where it flattened at all - some on the bolsters, more in the middle. They look new... but I've not sat in them yet.

Just sat in the truck with the new seats. I say “new” because I think I know how this truck must’ve felt when it left the lot in 1984. The seat is firmer and more comfortable. I guess that old foam had flattened more than I thought. Hell, the view over the hood is even different.

Almost time for a photo shoot?

Almost time for a photo shoot?
The trayback is taking longer than anticipated, still need to add a winch, really want at least one locker... oh and it needs a decent stereo.. AC... ;)

The pics I really want are out on the trail!

Wife: What would you ever use a flatbed for?
Literally the first ever use of the truck:

IMG_0508.jpeg

Okay sure, tailgate down, boxes long-way in the bed. But still... it was nice to use the truck a little finally.

Patty is back at ACC after a few weeks visiting home. This week and next should net some progress. Today, the main piece for the receiver hitch went from sketch to steel.

There's one more cross member tie-in not shown. The receiver hitch piece bolts to the bed's frame - look between the license plate and taillight, just behind the D-Ring mount... you can see where this bolts to the frame, bed, cross members - tying it all together.

IMG_1827.jpeg

IMG_9333.jpeg

Bed's off to finish the welds from the bottom and get'er ready for powder

IMG_1847.jpeg

IMG_1849.jpeg

Decided to add one more panel (each side). This triangle is 1 part brace (the sides are already braced) and 3 parts aesthetic - to eliminate that open area where the cab and bed meet when looking at the truck from an angle.

Next: media blast, powder coat.. and DRIVE the truck for a while. Then do the headache rack and fold-down sides.
IMG_1903.jpeg

Last edited:
Great build! Thanks for documenting it so well.

I just wanted to add that there is still a company that produces steel panel replacement pieces for these trucks.
Check out Wolf Steel, I'm going to end up buying a few to repair my rotten bed sides.

Thanks @Kroll. I bookmarked Wolf Steel for down the road... if (IF) I decide to restore the factory bed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom