Builds Picked up a Pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_1989.jpeg

Back from powder coating, assembled and Herculined. There are a few small things to do (tire mount, paint a few things black, e.g. D-ring tabs)... Next up - the removable sides and tailgate.

4D2665A1-BD90-4BFD-9B84-0F2DB25028FF.jpeg

C16A1F36-E74A-41F8-8C4E-7458616D8E30.jpeg

Last edited:
Your truck has come a long way, and looks amazing! I look forward to seeing the removable besides and tailgate! Are there any plans for a headache rack up front?

Thanks @rustED71. Not sure if I've shared this observation...

This build has taken a lot longer than planned. On the surface that would seem like a negative. But it's turned out to be a good thing. That old adage - "Be careful what you wish for... " has bitten me before. The Jeep below is a great example. I thought I wanted a 350hp 7' tall CJ on 35s... until I finished building it. That Patty has taken this long to plan, design, redesign, build, design some more... seems to be working. The first sketch of the bed is nothing like where we ended up. Even the sides - totally different. I'd planned (designed, picked hinges... ) to have lift-off hinges to let me fold and remove the sides. Then thought about it... Why do I need that? How often will I be removing them? How much harder will that be to keep from rattling... So, instead -

The sides will be in two parts - two sides and one tailgate. The sides (with that 30 degree angle) will be much stronger. They'll be bolted to the deck via rivnuts. Removal will be a 3 min. task with a cordless driver.

No full headache rack. The spare tire does a good bit of that. The remaining section will be a fixed piece - to match the sides and with a mole panel - at the height of the sides. These pieces are all cut and ready to be welded and powder coated. I'm hoping to knock it out next week.

The "Got what I wished for" Jeep... that I sold shortly after... and never really used.
Screen Shot 2020-03-17 at 10.06.01 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-17 at 10.06.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 8.08.52 AM.png

Last edited:
Sounds like a well thought out plan, I know all about designing and re-designing and changing your mind on things, thats how my 71' FJ40 is going, although my progress is alot slower than yours lol! I like your ideas on the molle panels and the removable sides, look forward to seeing them when they are finished!

PS: nice jeep, I had a 76' CJ5 back in the day

When are you going to finally install that nice dash you've got lying around?!

When are you going to finally install that nice dash you've got lying around?!
Oh... it's killing me - not having the truck at home. It's been at ACC for a few months. This would've been the perfect time to do the dash (and stereo). The dash is on the short list of todos once she's home... and I have a chance to drive her around some.

Started assembling the sides - from the bottom up. The feet were located, holes drilled, rivnuts installed. Next up - tacking the pieces together on the truck, then slowly finish welding... then powder, then DRIVE IT HOME!

64633265200__6805CB16-B403-45F2-9EFB-1FCA18A33109.jpeg
IMG_1558.jpeg

Thanks @aztoyman! Once the sides are done, the next (major) effort will be underneath - suspension, gears/lockers. The truck will see trails... just NOT the trails your 86 likes to play on ;)

Your truck is beautiful. I couldn't take it out on the trails I am planning for my 86. I'm almost ashamed to post up on here after seeing some of the restoration type builds of these older trucks on this forum. I said almost. This 86 is pretty rough. I'd never do this to a cherry truck.

I plan to wheel it like I wheel my 100 (and probably as frequently... okay, infrequently) - one difficultly level down from what it can do. The sliders, lockers, winch - that's to let me (more) easily do those moderate trails and bail if things get &$*#y. Biggest worry... branches!

This is Dugan from ACC Garage - https://www.accgarage.com . "STOP... okay, you're clear" He moved a 1/2" diameter branch that might have (maybe) left a pinstripe.
He may have been kidding... but I was glad he held it back.
IMG_5637.jpeg

Been a couple weeks since Patty had any hands (or wrenches) on her. Today, she got new rear brakes - wheel cylinders, shoes, line connectors (that one wasn't planned) and a fuel pump. The truck ran great. It started great... unless it sat for a week or more. Then, it took lots (!) of pumping and sometimes a little fuel poured into the carb. So, the new fuel pump should take care of that.

The rear brakes weren't great. I'm not sure why. I mean, maybe wheel cylinders, shoes... and cleaning this out will help...
IMG_2283.jpeg

... yeah - that came out of one drum.

But Patty did get some fun parts today - Sony touchscreen CarPlay receiver
IMG_2092.jpeg

It did pain me to remove the knock-out panel. After 37 years, this truck still had every knock-out panel in place.

Last edited:
Turned my attention to the rear of the cab - those unfinished metal panels. Legend has it, the last of the OE interior panels crumbled to dust circa 1996. Okay, they're just extremely hard to find. So, I'm several hours into a work-around. I'm constructing a trapezoidal box about 11" tall - square in the back, angled to match the angle of the seats. The top is in line with the bottom of the Xtra cab window - actually, a bit lower to match the roll of the steel there.

The box will be covered with same carpet as the rest of the cab. When I ordered the formed carpet kit, I made sure the same material was available by the yard. The "plan" is to then build a panel out of thinner MDF or other (plastic/ABS) material to run between the window and the new box. That panel will be wrapped in the same brown vinyl or houndstooth cloth as the seats... probably the solid brown to not stand out too much. I'll cover the box. I might even cover that other trim panel. But, I am not opposed to turning those tasks over to the guys who reupholstered the seats.

But the arrival of the carpet posed a bit of a setback...

IMG_2316.jpeg
IMG_2317.jpeg

You're kidding. PM sent ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom