Builds Picked up a Pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ve always liked the lipped bed over the fleet side. Depends on if you want correct, though. The knock on the lipped beds is that they are single wall where the fleet beds are double wall.

The old stamped tailgate is also cooler than the smooth one with decals. IMHO
So lipped bed = 4wd

Fleet side = 2wd

And lipped bed is single wall?

Seems like a good reason to hold out for the real deal, @Manhattan, considering how the rest of your build is going.

Of course you are!

I passed on the 2wd bed. I couldn't find any confirmation, but going over lots (!) of pics, the 2wd wheel openings look significantly smaller - maybe 1.5"-2" (pure speculation). I started justifying the 2wd - "If it's that clean, with the money I save not fixing rust, I can enlarge the wheel openings... "
This truck has waited a few decades for its restoration. It can wait a little longer for the right bed.

I wonder what a 2wd bed would look like with the wheel well openings trimmed larger and a set of flares added to them? Not the big old bushwacker cutout flares, but some smaller ones like these:
Screenshot_20200213-110446_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I was thinking I'd have whoever recovers the seats make a new shifter boot. But then I found a replacement on eBay - handmade in Mexico, genuine leather (smells great!), metal frame... $23 and free shipping.

I don't mind a little patina, but the old shifter boot was kinda beat.
IMG_6535.jpeg

I wonder what a 2wd bed would look like with the wheel well openings trimmed larger and a set of flares added to them? Not the big old bushwacker cutout flares, but some smaller ones like these:View attachment 2209969

@rustED71 you may be right. It's a bit of a double-edged sword... 4wd trucks are not the ones being parted out. And, the bed is usually the first thing to rust on the trucks. So, finding a solid 4wd bed may be more difficult and more expensive than modifying a good 2wd bed. It's too bad the company that made the steel replacement bed sides stopped making them. That would've been a great route - graft new steel 4wd sides onto a solid 2wd bed.

The guy making the fiberglass beds and sides has a backlog of TWO YEARS. Really. Who is putting down cash on a part they're not going to see for two years?

Last edited:
I can't believe nobody is reproducing steel besides and quarters for pickups and 4runners. Seems like they would be making money hand over fist with all the customers they would have lined up. I checked into the fiberglass panels too several yrs ago and it was a 1-1/2 year wait back then, then shipping them from Canada adds even more to the expense. Yeah I'm with you, I don't think I'd have the patience to wait that long after dropping down the cash, lol.

That's one thing that's nice about the first gen trucks, I've seen guys cut and open up the wheel wells on 2wd beds and add the factory 4wd rear flares to them. Well good luck on the hunt, your truck is really coming along, it's nice to see another one being brought back from the dead.

After stripping the interior down to metal (and scrubbing the floors), pulling lots of the dash and interior panels and cleaning them with a (mild) degreaser and toothbrush... adding sound deadening material, new carpet, and the new leather shifter boot... the truck literally has a “new car” smell.

IMG_6555.jpeg
IMG_6559.jpeg

I hate to admit it, but I'm doing that thing where I sit in the seat... and knock my feet together before putting my feet on the floor. THAT has to fade.

Last edited:
Adding A/C to that truck will add commensurate value...and make it more useful in the ATL

Adding A/C to that truck will add commensurate value...and make it more useful in the ATL
Yeah, I really can't imagine this truck without it a year from now. Wing windows and the rear slider are great. But sitting at a redlight when it's 97 degrees and humid... that'll suck.

@Buckums I can't confirm that. Before paint, I could've told you... but the painter sprayed the stenciled OME part numbers when he did the frame, axles, etc.

Thanks @bub m and @Jroc561 !!

Wow... the drop in value from 1985 to 1986 is big... from 4wd to 2wd is massive! And THAT is why all of the 84-88 Pickups being parted out are 2wd.

Last edited:
In other news... I'm amazed how many people are absolutely baffled by a truck without a bed. "What is that?!" Somehow, a pickup truck without a bed is like Superman without the glasses... no recognizes what it is. Driving around my neighborhood, I've literally had to explain - "It's an old Toyota Pickup. The bed's not on it yet."

You'd think the license plate would give'em a clue too:
IMG_6673.jpeg

I’m pretty sure the questions stem from the fact that your truck looks brand new, and everyone wants one.

Which dealer has this in stock? Can I order one? Great color! Wow, a simple reliable truck without a TV to watch (gack!) the Kardashian’s on. What a great concept. Is it a prototype for the next generation of Tacoma?

That's hilarious @joseywales !
Maybe I'll start saying "It's a 2019 Toyota FJ96 - from New Zealand, but to import it, it couldn't be complete... the bed's held up in customs. Damn coronavirus."

That's hilarious @joseywales !
Maybe I'll start saying "It's a 2019 Toyota FJ96 - from New Zealand, but to import it, it couldn't be complete... the bed's held up in customs. Damn coronavirus."
Um, I hate to nitpick. But, that would technically be an RNJ96.

Um, I hate to nitpick. But, that would technically be an RNJ96.
Well, yeah... but in New Zealand... okay, You win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom