PHH hard line and hose replacement question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yup. Definitely an option. I'd like to keep that for a field repair. I already have the hard line/hose inbound, and it is easy enough to just swap it out.
From Toyota’s stand point, a 12” long hose seems unacceptable. By-passing the steel pipe will bring you closer to what should have been done in the first place. The whole point here is to never have to deal with it on its terms again.

I also replaced my PHH with a new OEM, but I removed the cotter-key clamp for ease of maintenance in the future.
What did you replace it with?

If using the Gates Power grip clamps you can replace the cotter pin clamp first (with a Power Grip clamp/band) then slide another PG clamp (band) over the hose, slide the hose/pipe assembly onto the short pipe on the head, then apply heat and shrink the second clamp/band down.

Last edited:
How the heck did you get that metal tube off? the bolt behind the valve cover is basically impossible to reach.
Bend & snap that bitch (bracket) off!

I know it's been answered, but I went that route, after researching. Gates/CT clamps from Joey. Pulled pipe out, new hose on bottom, reinstalled up top, then installed PHH to block. Found that fairly easy... but I do not have tree trunk arms. Still scraped my share of skin.

The hard pipe for my PHH is stainless steel. No pitting in mine :flipoff2:

I'd choose quality rubber hose over silicone.

I used new Toyota spring clamps. They are effective, ready to install and reliable IMO.

New ones come clipped in the fully expanded position, slip them on the hose, install the hose, then position the clamp, and tug the clip off. No wrestling with pins, screws etc

Mine is a 93. I guess Toyota changed tob stainless for hard pipe at some point. Other hard pipes on my engine are stainless too

@OGBeno got any Intel on this?

Always cost reduction. To something that will amortize globally to pay off design and manufacturing tooling and supplier longevity.

And that's just one part.

Multiply that by 1.2-1.3 million part numbers, historically ( probably less than 500K for real manufacturing today, day-to-day).

Yes, that's a million with an M: x,xxx,xxx

That's what Toyota plays with every day, globally.

Now, think about that when it comes in relationship to a ten-digit part number for a Land Cruiser that was last manufactured almost 30 years ago. Then the brain needs drugs to comprehend.

Always cost reduction. To something that will amortize globally to pay off design and manufacturing tooling and supplier longevity.

And that's just one part.

Multiply that by 1.2-1.3 million part numbers, historically ( probably less than 500K for real manufacturing today, day-to-day).

Yes, that's a million with an M: x,xxx,xxx

That's what Toyota plays with every day, globally.

Now, think about that when it comes in relationship to a ten-digit part number for a Land Cruiser that was last manufactured almost 30 years ago. Then the brain needs drugs to comprehend.

I get the bean counting aspect. Even things like vacuum lines are not even ¼ longer than they absolutely need to be. Over millions of vehicles, that few cents adds up

I was wondering if there was a specific shift to stainless, or away from stainless.

If people wanted to source a stainless PHH pipe, do they need to order a later model part? Or was stainless superseded for a cost saving?

I get the bean counting aspect. Even things like vacuum lines are not even ¼ longer than they absolutely need to be. Over millions of vehicles, that few cents adds up

I was wondering if there was a specific shift to stainless, or away from stainless.

If people wanted to source a stainless PHH pipe, do they need to order a later model part? Or was stainless superseded for a cost saving?

You can no longer get stainless.

What did you replace it with?
I only got rid of the clamp and replaced it with breeze constant tension clamps. I think Toyota rubber is superior to Gates rubber and all of it is superior to silicone hose.

I replaced the clamps a second time when I replaced my short block with constant tension clamps as I didn’t like the bulky nature of the Breeze constant tension clamps.

IMG_0699.jpeg

Part arrived.

I'm an OEM Land Cruiser guy with OCD and 99% of what I use on my 80's are OEM parts whenever available and I'm sure the OEM assembly will last 20+ years as is. However I went with the Gates Green Stripe 5/8" hose (replaced the OEM hose 2" section on the PHH pipe) once I compared it next to the OEM 5/8" PHH hose section. The difference is more apparent when you're holding them both side-by-side, the Green Stripe has a thicker wall and appears heavier duty.

FWIW

Gates Green Stripe on the left. New OEM hose/pipe assembly on the right
(IIRC the scuff marks inside the OEM hose are from a test fit on another pipe).

To be clear, I cut a section of 5/8" Green Stripe the same length of the OEM hose section and attached it to the PHH pipe and head using Gates PG thermoplastic clamps.

PHH new hose-pipe assembly next to Gates Green Stripe hose.jpg

Last edited:
I removed the hard line and went with a long bypass using gates hose. It was a lot easier to do with the upper intake plenum off.

Ditto. Much easier to replace again if you ever have to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom