Builds Paul's "I have no idea what I'm doing" Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So because I live in SoCal (stationed at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton) I wasn't able to have RPM Garage conduct the work on my cruiser. I found someone local who specializes in Toyota and used OEM parts. Turns out the owner used to own a 98 LX470, so he knew exactly what he was looking at.

The following work was done as I was looking to "baseline" the vehicle as I had no maintenance records outside what I could pull from the Carfax and Lexus owners page:

-40 point AAA inspection
-Timing belt kit
-Oil change and filter
-Coolant flush & change
-Brake system flush
-Transmission tune.
-Front, Rear, Center diff flush/service
-Transfer case service
-Heater T replacement, New hoses, clamps
-Fuel induction service
-Complete power steering flush & exchange
-Front brakes & rotars replacement
-Rear brakes & rotars replacement (was told I had ~10k miles remaining on them, so went ahead and did them now)

Was told that my left CV axle was leaking. I noticed this during my own inspection before I purchased, but didn't know what I was looking at.
-Left CV axle replacement

Now that all that work is done, she's running like a top. The fuel injection service seems to have removed most of the engine knock I was hearing before the service.

Oh they also threw in 3 new wiper blades since mine were shot.
Inquiring minds want to know: "local who specializes in Toyota..." that would be who?

Always on the lookout for local mechanics that know the 100.

Inquiring minds want to know: "local who specializes in Toyota..." that would be who?

Always on the lookout for local mechanics that know the 100.
Turns out the guy I used for that job ripped me the **** off, definitely doesn't use oem parts, and charged me out the ass. This guy is in Oceanside and specializes in imports.

However, the guys who fixed my transfer case, San Diego Trux, are awesome and I highly recommend.

Installed my Ironman 4x4 front bumper and winch over the weekend. I'd rate it as follows:

Instructions: 1/10. It gives basic directions, but often says "using bolts provided, attach XX item". It doesn't say which bolts, doesn't say how many, doesn't do anything to reference the "box o' bits" they send along with the bumper. THERE ARE NO TORQUE SPECS FOR ANYTHING. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?
Fit & Finish: 7/10. I bought this bumper because I could get it quickly, with free shipping, and it had the iconic "Land Cruiser Bull Bar Bumper" I was looking for. The powder coat is a little soft, was easily scratched while trying to put the winch controller on.
Durability: 7/10. Had a bolt shear off while I was trying to tighten it down. Luckily I was able to drill it out.
Winch: 6/10. My biggest beef with this is the control box. It's oversized and not going to fit anywhere outside of the top of my bumper without custom modification. Their instructions literally tell you to just mount it on top of the bumper. While that may be the easy solution (and the instructions they give don't match) it would, to me, ruin the look of the bumper.
Looks: 9/10. Looks great to me, but beauty is often in the eye of the beholder.

Long story, I'll probably end up selling this bumper and winch down the line once I can stomach the $5k it will cost me for full Dissent front and rears, but they'll do fine for now.

View attachment 2303334

View attachment 2303335

View attachment 2303336

View attachment 2303337

View attachment 2303338
Turns out the guy I used for that job ripped me the f*** off, definitely doesn't use oem parts, and charged me out the ass. This guy is in Oceanside and specializes in imports.

However, the guys who fixed my transfer case, San Diego Trux, are awesome and I highly recommend.
Sorry to hear that. May want to think how to alert your fellow mudders so someone else doesn't get sucked in.

Btw: one of my acid tests for potential mechanics a) have them adjust parking brake...not a straight forward job, b) ask if they know of & have techstream. That will weed out the pretenders.

There is a Lc whisperer in carlsbad. But his main gig is 80s and older, though he is doing some 100s stuff. Noah's ark. He's here on mud & has done cosmetic work for me (slider/suspension install).

Yes agreed, let us locals know the details. Did you specify OEM and pay accordingly?
I specified OEM, didn't know what I was looking for when I inspected after work was done. So my fault for not knowing what I was getting into.

Place was Lael's automotive in Oceanside. I'll see if I can find the receipt.

Maybe I'm wrong, because I'm not at my truck right now, but I'm 99.9% sure I didn't get OEM parts.

E8FC40E1-CFD7-45CF-972F-FD305E76F355.jpeg

8C0AF8C7-4446-4EE4-88E5-78D039FC90DB.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s funny because the invoice calls out the OEM part numbers, take the CV axle for instance, 43430-60040. But $139 is not the price of the OEM parts. McGeorge Toyota (cheaper online parts dealer) sells them for $450. So you may have specified only OEM, but in that instance fortunately you didn’t pay for it.

Back home in the states for some training, figured I would change the oil in the LX since the last time it was done was January 2020. First time I've ever changed my own oil, but with the repair manual and YouTube, was easy to do.

However, I did notice that the black "box" or whatever it is called that is behind my bellhousing (I think that's what it's called) was covered in a slightly viscous fluid. I obviously have a leak somewhere. See pics attached.

91666864-987E-467F-B94A-3222547C58E4.jpeg

D4C0F3A7-BE41-403A-87FB-3EBFAF8F2E7E.jpeg

18B34AD8-F9C8-4CE1-A4A4-5B0B8B11722C.jpeg

B9D28521-150D-4BD7-8CAF-75F75A903A17.jpeg

So the wife refuses to ride in my LX because she thinks, "it's going to fall apart at any second, and is unsafe because it's 20 years old". Took the LX into the Lexus dealer locally to get it formally inspected to help assure her that the LX is perfectly safe and not falling apart anytime soon.

The report came back with the following:
1. My valve covers are leaking. The passenger side particularly. This is why I thought my steering rack was leaking because the oil is dripping from above onto my rack. Was told that my steering rack is in fine condition, no need to replace it.
2. I have a transmission pan leak. This is what was referenced above. Looks like I just need to drop it, and reseal with FIPG.
3. My rear trailing arm has a torn bushing. I need to replace all the bushings around the vehicle, does anyone know if there is a set that will allow me to replace the bushings for most of the entire underbody?
4. My drivers side rear shock is leaking. My plan has been to remove the AHC here in the future (I've already got the ironman pro foam 2" lift in my garage) so I'm not too worried about this.

Other than this, they said the vehicle was in great condition and ready for many more miles. They wanted an exorbitant price for the valve covers ($1500+) and the leaking rear shock ($2500+). I'll be taking the vehicle to San Diego Trux to get the valve covers replaced (around $700), and then removing the rear shock myself when I install my 2" lift and work to delete all the AHC parts.

Some have had good luck stopping valve cover leaks by retorque’ing the valve cover bolts. Could save you some coin. Also not a hard job to DIY!

Some have had good luck stopping valve cover leaks by retorque’ing the valve cover bolts. Could save you some coin. Also not a hard job to DIY!

I'll have to check for some videos on youtube!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom