Builds Paul's "I have no idea what I'm doing" Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

prwillard2

SILVER Star
Threads
I'll start by saying this is my first 100 series, and while I'm not mechanically dumb, I've never worked on my own cars. Never changed my own oil, never replaced anything myself. Using this forum, the internet, YouTube, and helpful people, I'm looking to transform this truck into an overlanding/hunting rig. One that I (and maybe my wife and dog) can camp in, use for some light towing, and offroading.

Picked up this 2001 LX470 with 138,500 miles the day after Christmas for $10,500. All stock except they added a backup camera on the rear plate bracket and wired it into the cab to a small screen by the shifter. Has some scrapes and dents on the paint job, but nothing major.

Bought it from a private seller up near Beverly Hills, California. Before the purchase I had it inspected by RPM Garage in Monrovia. They gave me the following service recommendations for the vehicle:
-Timing Belt Service (unless seller has records of it being replaced) - Seller didn't
-Replace Heater Hose Tee's (they get brittle with age)
-Transmission fluid flush
-Front brake pads are low, rear brakes aere good still
-Tires are mismatched brand front and rear but they both have good tread remaining.
-All power windows working
-Side mirrors are working and they fold in good
-Sunroof doesnt open, I can hear the motor trying but it wont tilt open or slide.
-No fluid leaks detected
-CV axles not leaking which is good
-Steering rack not leaking which is good

The underside had no rust and neither did the body from what I could tell in my own inspection when I met the PO to purchase her.

Future upgrades planned:
Drawer system that allows for a queen size bed in back - install in progress. KISS drawers from Land Shark Outfitters
Snorkel - installed. EBay snorkel
White knuckle sliders - on order, arriving in June
Dissent front bumper - in progress. Ended up going with an Ironman 4x4 front bumper
Dissent rear bumper
2" OME lift - in progress. Ended up with a 2" Ironman 4x4 Pro Cell Foam 440-880 constant load lift.
AHC delete - in progress.
Long Range America 40gal aux fuel tank

The following posts will chronicle my future with her.

C9EE9AB6-32E3-4252-9F26-4E046E56689B.jpeg

F3D66E4E-A30A-4135-8735-BFFC55A50F0B.jpeg

Last edited:
So because I live in SoCal (stationed at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton) I wasn't able to have RPM Garage conduct the work on my cruiser. I found someone local who specializes in Toyota and used OEM parts. Turns out the owner used to own a 98 LX470, so he knew exactly what he was looking at.

The following work was done as I was looking to "baseline" the vehicle as I had no maintenance records outside what I could pull from the Carfax and Lexus owners page:

-40 point AAA inspection
-Timing belt kit
-Oil change and filter
-Coolant flush & change
-Brake system flush
-Transmission tune.
-Front, Rear, Center diff flush/service
-Transfer case service
-Heater T replacement, New hoses, clamps
-Fuel induction service
-Complete power steering flush & exchange
-Front brakes & rotars replacement
-Rear brakes & rotars replacement (was told I had ~10k miles remaining on them, so went ahead and did them now)

Was told that my left CV axle was leaking. I noticed this during my own inspection before I purchased, but didn't know what I was looking at.
-Left CV axle replacement

Now that all that work is done, she's running like a top. The fuel injection service seems to have removed most of the engine knock I was hearing before the service.

Oh they also threw in 3 new wiper blades since mine were shot.

Last edited:
While my Lexus was in the shop, I started looking for new wheels and tires. I wanted to go with bigger wheels/tires that I could still run without a lift.

After trolling on Facebook marketplace since before I even bought the Lexus, I ended up finding 4 black TRD pro tundra wheels with 285/65/18 Toyo Open Country AT2 extreme tires. Was told the wheels are OEM and the tires only had ~1k miles on them. Came with the TRD caps as well. Got them for $1200 bucks so thought I got a good deal.

I do however, have concerns that the wheels are OEM, they have "made in China" on the back, but I'm unable to find an exact answer about where the OEM wheels are actually made. I checked out some Tacoma TRD pro wheels at my local Toyota dealer last week, they had stamped "made in Thailand".

I've attached some pictures of the inside of the wheel, hoping I didn't get taken for a ride, but as the title states, I've got no idea what I'm doing.

*update* these wheels have a "Dicastal" name in the forging which seems to be a leading wheel manufacturer. Their North America site says one of their clients is Toyota. https://www.dicastalna.com/

Got the tires and wheels balanced at the auto skills center on base. They all balanced easily, so hoping they're good. Waiting on 1.25" Bora spacers I ordered, but may throw these wheels/tires on without the spacers for the time being.

BCD6035C-8AD6-4605-9528-B1B6C379F229.jpeg

495659EA-4D73-446B-98C2-ED02240AFA24.jpeg

F0BA3549-971E-4F99-BE6F-2F1AC83AF145.jpeg

5621FF5A-1B2B-4219-8E8D-E8738059C39A.jpeg

Last edited:
While I was driving back from getting my new wheels/tires balanced, it was the first time I had driven my new LX in the dark. Turns out these headlights SUCK! I ended up blowing though a 4 way stop because I didn't even see the stop sign. So I immediately started looking for how to upgrade these lights. Ended up seeing the headlight upgrade kits by @Luke111

Do you want to bake your own headlights in the oven? Yea, me neither. So I ended up getting the OEM headlight replacements that he upgrades himself and sends you as close to a "plug and play" upgrade as possible. These are currently being built, and I'll post pics of the install and difference from stock (even though I already upgraded my lights to the silverstars that claim to be the brightest possible).

Last edited:
My hood struts were shot when I bought my truck. Ended up replacing them with this set I got off Amazon.

BOXI 2pcs Front Hood Lift... Amazon product ASIN B019C1FY9O
Install on these was pretty simple, especially once I watched a YouTube video that showed you just removed the whole ball ended bolt, rather than keep those and just replace the piston.

E2F973EA-5CC9-4C6D-92C8-EE6CB1B1745D.jpeg

Last edited:
I can't stand the nav headunit in the stock LX. I've started to acquire the parts to convert my LX to manual controls and install a carplay capable double din touchscreen. All parts currently on order, just need to get them in hand and get a full day to spend modifying my truck.

I also only got 1 key when I purchased my truck, luckily it's also the master (at least from what I can tell, the security light goes off when it's inserted into the key slot).

Ordered 2 keys from ebay here: 2x for Lexus LX470 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 Keyless 4C Remote Key Fob HYQ1512V | eBay

Then I ordered 2 of the YotaMD key covers. Talking with him on Facebook he said that people have had luck with the replica key electronics, but the bodies are weak. So hopefully this is the best of both words. Will need to get the keys cut, then I get to pedal dance.

C9B86FF2-AE13-4876-A799-D34A44BF70C3.jpeg

822DC22B-A3AA-4231-A8A4-1372E30934F9.jpeg

A042CD01-C9D6-4D18-A966-9C18442FC880.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome! I hadn't done any work on my own cars until about 2 years ago when I got my 100. Since then I've done heater t's, oil, transmission flush, diff and t-case fluids, drive belt, a couple of pulleys, water inlet housing and thermostat, power steering flush... all kinds of stuff. Get those FSMs.

I'm also in LA, also an RPM fan. Lemme know if you ever need another set of hands.

Welcome! I hadn't done any work on my own cars until about 2 years ago when I got my 100. Since then I've done heater t's, oil, transmission flush, diff and t-case fluids, drive belt, a couple of pulleys, water inlet housing and thermostat, power steering flush... all kinds of stuff. Get those FSMs.

I'm also in LA, also an RPM fan. Lemme know if you ever need another set of hands.

Thanks!

Deleting my running boards... What does this cord & plug go to? I was planning to just tape it off and then zip tie it up out of the way.

721B69A7-3FC0-4F92-8195-64C6A43DB75B.jpeg

DC7F2D1A-018A-4C49-90A1-F3A5489D5DA9.jpeg

B8DDEAA1-60B4-4FAD-A368-4D0249DEC1C9.jpeg

D7D46CD5-4DE6-47D1-BEAF-53761D4A76C4.jpeg

Running boards deleted. Put electrical tape over the running board lights and tucked them out of the way.

B2E2A17B-C4A2-4B66-80AD-2366951EA40E.jpeg

4601A59E-AD1E-4E5E-BF91-7E642803D0AA.jpeg

E6809687-FDE5-4898-B4FE-9EB78144E0CC.jpeg

Last edited:
Was moving my truck in the dark tonight, man there is nothing lighting up inside the vehicle outside of my dash & screen - no knobs, buttons, etc. I think most of the lights back there are dead.

Only light on in this pic is the left vent switch.

E1D555B7-2133-40CF-9906-A13C605DA499.jpeg

5341B7FF-1E6C-4ED0-A926-88DFB15FD514.jpeg

Last edited:
Got in on the @prospeed roof rack group buy with light bar mounts. Pick her up next weekend, excited to get it installed.

Does anyone know where I can get an on/off switch that fits in the switch set I posted above? Like just to the left of the mirror adjustment button?

I'll be installing the following on the roof rack.
Xprite Single Row Slim LED Light... Amazon product ASIN B07MDHSW3L
Nilight LED Light Bar Wiring... Amazon product ASIN B074GXRBJG

Before I get the headunit installed and upgraded, I bought a Bluetooth cassette tape after seeing @gregnash put one in his 100. Ordered this one, so far it's working great with my factory Mark Levinson audio system:

Arsvita Car Audio Bluetooth... Amazon product ASIN B07QSW6KNY

Took off my trunk badges, going to either plastidip them all or just only put the Lexus "L" back on. There was dirt and gunk behind them from 20 years of SoCal life.

*update* may just get a set of the black LX470 emblems if I can find them for less than a billion dollars it would seem they're going for right now.

*update 2* I suck at plastidipping stuff. Maybe it was too cold? Either way, had to use some tape to cover up the holes in my tailgate to prevent any water getting in.

2976EE41-3DC9-415E-B721-7C1415AFB1CA.jpeg

AD3EC6ED-293C-4C72-A7A5-9B17376243C2.jpeg

Last edited:
The metal rod connecting the under grill to the hood release kept coming out of the hole it fits into. Used 2 zip ties to hopefully get it to stay put.

64293587-0F80-4121-A130-B7123E22FF33.jpeg

I've also realized that I have the loud THUNK when shifting to drive, but I've got no idea where to start, besides reading the thunk thread.

Truck only does it if it isn't warmed up, if it's warmed up, no noise. Usually only hear it after shifting straight from park after she's been sitting for a couple hours.

CV shaft to hub flange play is probably your thunk. Happens from N to D and when you let all the way off the gas while rolling then get back on it?

can also be front diff mounts or driveshaft, but if it’s what I described above, it’s CV to hub flange.

Look up @2001LC his sig will have links in it.

Welcome.

edited to say cv shaft.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom