Builds Paul's "I have no idea what I'm doing" Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got in on the @prospeed roof rack group buy with light bar mounts. Pick her up next weekend, excited to get it installed.

Does anyone know where I can get an on/off switch that fits in the switch set I posted above? Like just to the left of the mirror adjustment button?

I'll be installing the following on the roof rack.
Xprite Single Row Slim LED Light... Amazon product ASIN B07MDHSW3L
Nilight LED Light Bar Wiring... Amazon product ASIN B074GXRBJG

I used these guys. Quality and selection of switches was great.

Removed my factory chrome badging off the rear of my trunk. Lots of gunk built up back there behind the chrome pieces. I was able to remove the tape residue with a 3M eraser wheel, but the dirt seems stuck on there. Any suggestions for how to get that additional crap off?

84FC7D17-6E95-4E60-B963-53C721961BFE.jpeg

1F7B99FD-E545-4559-B233-050858BE716B.jpeg

48DF9428-E8B6-4D47-8E1D-94080780602D.jpeg

CBF3058A-1369-48B6-A84E-2DF610810655.jpeg

Additional scrubbing with a brush revealed that the caked on dirt is actually removing my top layer of paint when removed. Looks like I'll be reinstalling this badging, just painting it black.

4314C4CD-347A-481B-B6B2-4DA984FE3E59.jpeg

Cleaned off as much as I could of the dirt and adhesive. I think I can get away with the V8 being permanently off, as all the dirt seems to have come off without any paint chipping.

Reinstalled my Lexus center badging after my foray into plastidipping.

CC5FF16B-1B53-457B-A0C0-F50A6944BF6E.jpeg

Was able to get my truck into the auto skills center on base and change out the tires and wheels while I had her on the lift. Does anyone know where I can get the Lexus badges center caps for the tundra wheels?

4C84DCBC-0DF7-49B8-8512-C9F69C786A6E.jpeg

ebay for your center cap logos: pull the center "TRD Plate" emblem. Clean that surface, and stick the Lexus Emblems there. Also, do yourself a favor and get some 1.25'' wheel spacers front and rear. Spider traxx or Bora ONLY. Tundra ones will not clear the front hub flange.

muyyunuy.jpg

lx 1.jpg

ebay for your center cap logos: pull the center "TRD Plate" emblem. Clean that surface, and stick the Lexus Emblems there. Also, do yourself a favor and get some 1.25'' wheel spacers front and rear. Spider traxx or Bora ONLY. Tundra ones will not clear the front hub flange.

View attachment 2184250

View attachment 2184251

Have some 1.25 bora spacers on order, but was tired of these wheels and rims sitting in the back of my truck waiting for them to arrive. Once they get in, I'll put them on.

Thanks for the heads up on the Lexus logo caps!

Wow, didn't realize I'd forgotten to completely update this thread as I went through my build. The next thing I did was delete my original navigation and convert to manual controls.

Video link:

After changing out the head unit with my pioneer unit, I couldn't get any sound as the video attests. I then decided to upgrade my amp, all 4 door speakers, and the sub.

Because I had no idea what I was doing, I took all the parts I'd acquired and took them to a local car stereo installer. He installed all the equipment, cleaned up my rats nest of wires behind the head unit and splicing I'd done, then upgraded my speakers, amp, and sub.

He also installed a backup camera that I'd purchased that linked to my head unit. What would have taken me weeks to solve was completed by him during a week I was out in the field. Dropped off on Saturday, picked up on Saturday and voila, all done.

Next was an eBay snorkel install. My biggest concern was cutting the holes into my fender and drilling holes into my a-pillar. Measure 5 times, cut once.

312D6E0F-8A4E-4C9E-AEE0-788EDC9E7242.jpeg

24D30A6E-E3C5-4395-B4CC-E8C5C8BCBA6C.jpeg

EC46E34E-5F77-4CC9-99F4-EDEE6C8DADF8.jpeg

676889E6-9C97-44F0-99BB-94D827DD5EF5.jpeg

8BE8BA87-DFAB-4D83-B7FE-E3E3D1A8C034.jpeg

I'd had the driveline "clunk" for a while and thought that greasing my driveshaft and u-joints would help to solve the problem. Used an entire tube of grease on my driveshaft.

8BA04397-0F49-4E18-A411-EA3CD1A64052.jpeg

After driving around in the dark at the end of a day of work, I realized that even with new headlight bulbs, that my headlights were woefully inadequate. Ended up getting some direct "bolt in" replacements from @Luke111

These things are amazing and throw off a ton of light with the HID projectors and bulbs.

0020CED8-5E3B-4DFC-8848-C74D8DE8CD0E.jpeg

AED7341E-04A2-4F9A-9C22-846A0099FBDA.jpeg

After getting my sweet HID headlights installed, I figured I would upgrade my corner lights with the clear corner lights as well. With this, I moved my blinker out of my lower front bumper and spliced it into my corner lights. I've detailed my steps in this thread:

Last edited:
Couple days after installing my new corner lights, I tried to pull a buddy of mine out of the mud. I managed to mess up my truck somehow, the details are chronicaled in this post:

Currently have a new front driveshaft on order from McGeorge Toyota, believe I just blew a U-joint in the front driveshaft. Hopefully will know more after this weekend.

The worst part about blowing my driveshaft is that the very same day (earlier in the day mind you), I had ordered a 2" Pro Cell Foam lift from Ironman 4x4. They were running a great sale, and I got a free set of traction boards as well.

I also ordered a pair of the Nitro Gear upper control arms for the front as well. They seem to be the bee's knees, because of the replaceable Tundra ball joint, but these are currently scheduled to ship the end of April.

I also had ordered a set of the KISS drawers with wings.

Once I get the truck driveshaft repaired I'll start putting all this together.

Hats off for not deleting the post about using an entire tube of grease on your driveshaft. I'd probably try to cover something like that up

Hats off for not deleting the post about using an entire tube of grease on your driveshaft. I'd probably try to cover something like that up

When I say I have no idea what I'm doing, I'm being honest.

Had read conflicting reports online that you stopped greasing when the slip yoke moved, had read others saying to stop when you saw grease coming from slip yoke. I went with the latter and I'm pretty sure it helped contribute to what caused me to ruin my driveshaft.

When I say I have no idea what I'm doing, I'm being honest.

Had read conflicting reports online that you stopped greasing when the slip yoke moved, had read others saying to stop when you saw grease coming from slip yoke. I went with the latter and I'm pretty sure it helped contribute to what caused me to ruin my driveshaft.
I dig it. If I still had my old front driveshaft, I'd send it to you. I think @richardlillard1 made me throw it in the trash, though. Or maybe that was the rear? I can't remember. Anyway, best of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom